Hon. Judy V. LaMarsh (Secreiary of Slate):
I am informed by the Departments of Transport and Treasury Board as follows: 1. Approval in principle for estimated cost between $3,600,000 and $5,500,000 by T.B. 604661 dated January 15, 1963 for a basic experimental station.
March 25, 1968
2. Yes. Additional funds increasing the cost to $9,100,000 were approved by T.B. 636168 dated February 17, 1965 to meet changing technical possibilities, substantial added requirements resulting from Canada having become a member of the international telecommunications satellite consortium in 1964 and the urgent need for additional trans-Atlantic telephone circuits.
3. Yes. Additional funds increasing the cost to $12,000,000 were approved by T.B. 649365 dated January 18, 1966 to meet the costs incurred in further system changes needed to cope with the rapidly changing technology and the agreements reached in the new international organization.
4. The Minister of Transport.
5. RCA Victor Company, Montreal, P.Q., in the sum of $50,000, T.B. Minute 611173.
6. RCA Victor Company, Montreal, P.Q., up to $4,500,000, T.B. Minute 617210.
8. The contract for the initial investigation was at a fixed price whereas the main contract for systems management, engineering and supply of equipment was on a cost-plus basis normal to this type of undertaking.
9. No one named individual.
10. The Hon. Walter L. Gordon; The Hon. Lionel Chevrier; The Hon. J. W. Pickersgill; The Hon. Arthur Laing; The Hon. J. R. Garland; The Hon. Roger Teillet.
12. Yes. Tenders for buildings and related structures were evaluated in July 1964. (a) Three companies tendered, (b) Eastern Contracting Ltd., $1,155,295; Ron Engineering, $1,245,280; McNamara Construction, $1,248,870. (c) Eastern Contracting Ltd., T. B. Minute 628255.
14. Not applicable.
Subtopic: COMMUNICATIONS SATELLITE STATION, MILL VILLAGE, N.S.