2. There is no explicit proviso to that effect, but the whole lease is subject to terms and conditions thsrein enumerated.
3. The government had not considered the matter.
4. The government is not so aware.
5. No estimate was made of the value of the franchises, which, naturally should depend upon the enterprise of the lessees; but an estimate, however, was made, by the superintending engineer, of the horsepower that could be developed without extansive and costly alterations, viz.: 2,259 hors 2-power.
* Mr. MONK ;
1. Were the privileges or rights upon the Beauharnois canal ever advertised to be tendered for before they were conceded to the present users or their predecessors? If not, why not?
2. To whom was the concession of said privilege made in the first instance and at what date ?
3. Did the concessionnaire make a regular proposal in writing previous to said concession? If so, at what date, and to whom was said proposal addressed?
4. What was the amount paid by the concessionnaire for the use of the said Beauharnois canal ?
5. What is the amount of annual rental payable by the grantee or his assigns?
G. What is the term or duration of the alienation so made by the government of said Beauharnois canal?
Subtopic: THE BEAUHARNOIS CANAL.