April 3, 1967 (27th Parliament, 1st Session)


George James McIlraith (Minister of Public Works; Leader of the Government in the House of Commons; Liberal Party House Leader)


Hon. G. J. Mcllraiih (Minister of Public Works):

1. The government wharf at Sambro was built in 1911, rebuilt in 1935 and in 1951, and extended in 1957.
2. It is "ell" shaped, having a stem 289 feet long by 20 feet wide and an ell 49 feet long by 20.8 feet wide.
3. We have no records of the number and size of vessels using the wharf during the year it was constructed.
4. The first recorded load limit was in 1935 when it was 150 pounds per square foot and concentrated load of 5 tons.
5. An amount of $66,391 has been spent on this wharf since it was built.

Subtopic:   $5,710,000 GOVERNMENT WHARF, SAMBRO, N.S.
Full View