April 5, 1945 (19th Parliament, 6th Session)


Mr. MACDONALD (Kingston City): (Minister of National Defence for Naval Services)


1. There is a naval barracks on the south side of the harbour at St. John's, Newfoundland, which was built to accommodate naval personnel employed in the new machine shops, storehouses, etc., which have been erected on the south side of St. John's harbour in order to increase the ship repairs facilities at that port. All these buildings were constructed with the approval of the British admiralty, and at their cost, but under the supervision of the Canadian naval service. The title to and ownership of all these lands and buildings is vested in the British admiralty, and the Canadian government is responsible only for their operation and maintenance.
2. Total cost $747,232.62, charged to admiralty account.
3. Yes, but not to full capacity.
4. Partially occupied for accommodation, recreation, headquarters of fire marshal and workshops. -
5. It had been planned to make full use of these facilities by May 1, 1945, but this depends upon the course of the battle of the
Premises Lessor
Space on second floor of Snell block, Gaetz ave.. Harold J. Snell... Two-room suite in Metro
block, Gaetz ave Dr. F. E. Dodds

Adjoining office on second floor of Metro block,
Gaetz ave Dr. F. E. Dodds....
Three-room suite on second floor of Metro block,
Gaetz ave Dr. F. E. Dodds

Atlantic and also upon the operational requirements of the admiralty.

Subtopic:   CARLETON, N.B.
Full View