1. These costs are not segregated in the railway's accounts and are therefore not available.
2. 8212,000 for the year 1943.
3. See answer to question No. 1.
4. With regard to the first part of this question, the information is not available in form requested. The total tons of freight handled tver the line from Sydney to Point Tupper iboth directions) for the year 1943, was about 2,500,000 tons, which quantity, however, is much above the average over a period of years.
5. It is not considered practicable to make a useful estimate as the cost of freight hauling depends on many more factors than the gradient of the lines.
With reference to questions 1, 3 and 4, the preparation of the information called for would entail a tremendous amount of clerical work in segregating the required items from the general operating and financial statistics of the railways. This work has not been undertaken on account of the lack of qualified staff due to war conditions.
veterans' land act
Subtopic: STRAIT OF CANSO FERRY