1. Has Albert Victor Westgate recently been sentenced to hang?
2. Had this man been sentenced previously before a court of justice?
3. If so, (a) for what offence; (to) what was the sentence; (c) was he set free before the expiration of his term of imprisonment; (d) upon whose recommendation was he set free?
Mr. ST. LAURENT:
1. A Canadian press dispatch, dated May 8, 1944, from Winnipeg, reported Albert Victor Westgate sentenced to be executed on July 24, 1944.
3. (a) Murder, (b) Sentenced to be hanged on June 5, 1929, which sentence was, on June 1, 1929, commuted to life imprisonment, (c) On June 3, 1943, released on licence, under Ticket of Leave Act. (d) Representations were made to the Department of Justice by the warden and the chaplains of the penitentiary, by many outstanding citizens of Manitoba, by the Canadian Legion, Dominion Command, by the Canadian Welfare Association, Manitoba Branch Prisoners' Aid, and by a prospective employer; careful investigation in respect thereto was made by the remission service of the Department of Jus-
tice, and on its report as to merits the recommendation was made by the Minister of Justice.
Subtopic: SENTENCE OF ALBERT VICTOR WESTGATE