Hon. H. H. STEVENS (Kootenay East):
Before the orders of the day are called I should like to direct a question to the Minister of Transport (Mr. Howe), but as he is not in his seat it might be even more appropriately directed to the Prime Minister (Mr. Mackenzie King). The question I wish to ask is based upon questions thait were asked previously and in a sense answered. On May 6 I placed the following questions on the order paper:
1. Has the Minister of Transport recently concluded a special agreement with the Louis Dreyfus and Company or any of its allied or subdiary companies for the handling of grain through the government elevator at Quebec?
2. If so, what are the rates charged under this special agreement? Are the rates lower than those approved by the board of grain commissioners?
3. What are the storage rates to be charged, if any?
4. Do other elevators at Sorel and Three Rivers, privately or otherwise, participate in the said agreement ?
5. Were the terms of the said agreement submitted to and approved by the board of grain commissioners prior to its acceptance and completion?
Business of the House
6. Under the Canada Grain Act, what authority determines or approves of the schedule of rates or tariffs charged in elevators operating in Canada?
On May 11 those questions were passed as an order for return. On May 18 I received what purport to be answers, reading as follows:
2, 3, 4 and 5. Answered by No. 1.
6. The Board of Grain Commissioners for Canada, as to the fixing of maximum charges.
The question I wish to ask is this: Will the Minister of Transport lay on the table of the house a letter which was sent by a member of the national harbours board to Mr. Kaiser of the Dreyfus Company of New York in the month of April-I have not the exact date,-together with a memorandum attached thereto, setting forth certain reduced rates for handling grain from lake vessels to the elevator at Quebec and from elevator to ocean vessels and agreeing to free storage and confirming an understanding previously arrived at?
Subtopic: RATES FOR HANDLING FROM LAKE VESSELS THROUGH ELEVATOR AND FREE STORAGE