December 14, 2016

Geoff Regan

The Speaker

I thank all those who have spoken, the House leaders and others, for their kind words and generous comments toward all colleagues and for thanking so many folks who work for us.

I want to add my thanks to all members, the clerks, the pages, all the staff of the House of Commons, the Parliamentary Protective Service, and the Library of Parliament, who all provide such great help to us.

As for the staff of members of Parliament and ministers who work either here in Ottawa or across the country, we could not do our jobs without them, and we are very grateful for the wonderful work they do.

I am pleased to offer my best wishes to everyone for a merry Christmas and happy new year, happy Hanukkah, and happy holidays. Have a wonderful and safe season.

Remember, many members of Parliament, and other Canadians, will be driving during this period. Members, especially from large rural ridings, do a lot of driving, and I am always concerned that they be careful when they do so, because sometimes they are tired. It is good to take a rest if need be. Keep that in mind, please.

Topic:   Oral Questions
Subtopic:   Business of the House

Chrystia Freeland

Hon. Chrystia Freeland (Minister of International Trade, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, happy holidays to you and your team.

I have the honour to table, in both official languages, the 2016 annual report to Parliament on the activities of the Office of the Extractive Sector Corporate Social Responsibility Counsellor. This covers the May 2015 to May 2016 period. The report was prepared by the extractive sector corporate social responsibility counsellor.

Subtopic:   Extractive Sector Corporate Social Responsibility Counsellor

Kevin Lamoureux

Mr. Kevin Lamoureux (Parliamentary Secretary to the Leader of the Government in the House of Commons, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, pursuant to Standing Order 36(8), I have the honour to table, in both official languages, the government's response to 64 petitions.

Subtopic:   Government Response to Petitions

Leona Alleslev

Ms. Leona Alleslev (Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Public Services and Procurement, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, pursuant to Standing Order 34(1), I have the honour to present to the House, in both official languages, the report of the Canadian parliamentary delegation respecting its participation at the election observation mission of the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly, held in Washington, D.C., and Raleigh, North Carolina, from November 5 to 8, 2016.

Subtopic:   Interparliamentary Delegations

Denis Paradis

Hon. Denis Paradis (Brome—Missisquoi, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, before I go ahead with the official tabling of the report of the Standing Committee on Official Languages regarding the action plan for the next five years, I would like to thank the House of Commons staff who contributed to that report, specifically the clerk, Christine Holke, and the research staff, Lucie Lecomte and Geneviève Gosselin.

A lot of time went into this report. I am proud to chair a committee that feels like a big family. I want to thank my fellow members of the Standing Committee on Official Languages. I congratulate the member for Perth—Wellington, who is a new father to a bilingual son. I thank the member for Drummond for his targeted contributions, the member for Madawaska—Restigouche for his collegiality, the member for Beauport—Côte-de-Beaupré—Île d'Orléans—Charlevoix for her dedication, the member for Montmagny—L'Islet—Kamouraska—Rivière-du-Loup for his bilingualism at home, the member for Rivière-des-Mille-Îles for her sensitivity to minority communities, the member for Sudbury for his energy and ability to bring people together, the member for Sackville—Preston—Chezzetcook for his joie de vivre as a proud Nova Scotian, and the member for Saint Boniface—Saint Vital for his commitment to his community.

I have the honour to present, in both official languages, the third report of the Standing Committee on Official Languages entitled, “Toward a New Action Plan for Official Languages and Building New Momentum for Immigration in Francophone Minority Communities”. Pursuant to Standing Order 109, the committee requests that the government table a comprehensive response to this report.

Subtopic:   Committees of the House
Sub-subtopic:   Official Languages

Judy Sgro

Hon. Judy A. Sgro (Humber River—Black Creek, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, I too want to congratulate all the members of the House for a very successful year and wish everyone a merry Christmas and a very happy new year.

I have the great honour to present, in both official languages, the ninth report of the Standing Committee on Transport, Infrastructure and Communities in relation to its study of certain provisions of the Fair Rail for Grain Farmers Act.

Subtopic:   Committees of the House
Sub-subtopic:   Transport, Infrastructure and Communities

Deb Schulte

Mrs. Deborah Schulte (King—Vaughan, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all the staff who help this House run so smoothly, and I want to thank the great staff we have in the committee for their excellent work this year. We have been working very hard, and they have done an excellent job, and I just want to call them out in the House today.

I have the honour to present, in both official languages, the fourth report of the Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development in relation to C-18, an act to amend the Rouge National Urban Park Act, the Parks Canada Agency Act and the Canada National Parks Act. The committee has studied the bill and has decided to report the bill back to the House, without amendment.

Happy Hanukkah and happy holidays to all.

Subtopic:   Committees of the House
Sub-subtopic:   Environment and Sustainable Development
CPC

Cathy McLeod

Conservative

Mrs. Cathy McLeod (Kamloops—Thompson—Cariboo, CPC)

moved for leave to introduce Bill C-330, An Act to amend the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (landlord consent).

Mr. Speaker, this bill is looking for landlord consent. As members may be aware, medical marijuana can be grown in homes, and at times, landlords are absolutely devastated by the impact, with no control. I am seeking that if medical marijuana is to be grown in a home, the landlord needs to give permission first.

(Motions deemed adopted, bill read the first time and printed)

Subtopic:   Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
NDP

Peter Julian

New Democratic Party

Mr. Peter Julian (New Westminster—Burnaby, NDP)

moved for leave to introduce Bill C-331, An Act to amend the Federal Courts Act (international promotion and protection of human rights).

Mr. Speaker, I thank the excellent member for Vancouver Kingsway for seconding my bill.

Some mining companies behave responsibly, but others ignore human, environmental, and labour rights. We can no longer ignore these human rights violations abroad. This is about fundamental Canadian values.

This legislation would create a new civil cause of action that would allow the Federal Court to hear claims for violations of international law that occur outside of Canada where there is no established impartial legal system.

The Canadian Association of Labour Lawyers has endorsed the bill.

My bill would help to end impunity by holding corporations accountable for violations of human rights wherever they occur.

I hope all members will support this initiative to protect and promote human rights around the world.

(Motions deemed adopted, bill read the first time and printed)

Subtopic:   Federal Courts Act

Robert-Falcon Ouellette

Mr. Robert-Falcon Ouellette (Winnipeg Centre, Lib.)

moved for leave to introduce Bill C-332, An Act to provide for reporting on compliance with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

Mr. Speaker, I am proud to have the support of the member for Etobicoke Centre.

I rise today to present a bill that would offer a higher of accountability, an act to provide for reporting on compliance with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. The federal government in consultations with provincial and territorial governments and with first nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples must report 15 sitting days after June 2 of every year. This legislation would fulfill the seven teachings of honesty, knowledge, humility, respect, love, effort, and courage.

[Member spoke in aboriginal language]

[English]

(Motions deemed adopted, bill read the first time and printed)

Topic:   Routine Proceedings
Subtopic:   United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Reporting Act
NDP

Jenny Kwan

New Democratic Party

Ms. Jenny Kwan (Vancouver East, NDP)

moved for leave to introduce Bill C-333, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (granting and revoking of citizenship).

Mr. Speaker, this legislation seeks to address three issues, one being the Citizenship Act. The bill seeks to restore the procedural fairness for those who are faced with citizenship revocation, amendments that I tabled at committee that unfortunately did not pass. I am hopeful that they will get through by way of this private member's bill.

The other two aspects of the bill deal with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. One is on cessation, particularly for refugees who have had cessation of status as a result of travelling back to their country of origin. This is egregious and should be fixed.

Last but not least, due to a series of archaic laws over the years a number of Canadians have found themselves without their Canadian citizenship after many years. That should not be the case. Prior to the 150th anniversary of this country, we need to restore citizenship to those who have lost it because of these archaic laws.

(Motions deemed adopted, bill read the first time and printed)

Subtopic:   Citizenship Act
CPC

Cheryl Gallant

Conservative

Mrs. Cheryl Gallant (Renfrew—Nipissing—Pembroke, CPC)

Mr. Speaker, I am pleased to present a petition signed by campers who stayed at the Castleton Hills RV Park in Castleton, Ontario, which is located in the tranquil rolling hills of Northumberland—Peterborough South. The petitioners call on the government to ensure that campgrounds with fewer than five full-time, year-round employees will continue to be recognized and taxed as small businesses.

Subtopic:   Petitions
Sub-subtopic:   Small Business
NDP

Carol Hughes

New Democratic Party

Mrs. Carol Hughes (Algoma—Manitoulin—Kapuskasing, NDP)

Mr. Speaker, I rise to present a petition signed by individuals from Wikwemikong First Nation, who see how media concentration and digital convergence have made community TV and media even more important and necessary. They point out that the Broadcasting Act stipulates that community, private, and public broadcasting should complement one another and that CRTC policy states, “the community channel should be primarily of a public service nature, facilitating self-expression through free and open access by members of the community”.

The petitioners are asking the government to enable a network of community-operated media centres. They feel this would ensure the survival of community TV, the availability of local media in areas not served by private or public media, and would give all Canadians access to multi-platform media skills training and content distribution in the digital economy.

Subtopic:   Petitions
Sub-subtopic:   Telecommunications

Julie Dabrusin

Ms. Julie Dabrusin (Toronto—Danforth, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, I rise to present three petitions on behalf of residents of the ridings of Toronto Centre, Toronto—St. Paul's, and Thunder Bay—Superior North, calling on the government to enable a network of community-operated media centres to ensure the survival of community TV, the availability of local media in towns and neighbourhoods not served by public or private media, and that all Canadian residents have access to multi-platform media skills training and content distribution in the digital economy.

I would like to thank Dawn Jobson, Cathy Edwards, Donna Mikeluk, and the Regent Park Focus Youth Media Arts Centre for their advocacy on this issue.

Subtopic:   Petitions
Sub-subtopic:   Telecommunications
CPC

David Sweet

Conservative

Mr. David Sweet (Flamborough—Glanbrook, CPC)

Mr. Speaker, it is my honour to present my first electronic petition, with 757 signatures by people who are demanding that if the government is going to change the federal electoral system, it first seek a mandate from the people through a referendum.

If you would give me the liberty for just one moment, a group of people that I think all of my colleagues would like to wish a very merry Christmas and a happy new year to would be our Canadian Forces and all first responders, who keep us safe, but, particularly, the Canadian Forces members who are in theatre right now and risking their lives in the Middle East. We want them to know that we will remember them throughout our holidays and will be praying for them and their families and that they continue to be safe while guarding all of those things that are valuable to us: democracy, human rights, and the rule of law.

Subtopic:   Petitions
Sub-subtopic:   Electoral Reform

Geoff Regan

The Speaker

I thank the hon. member for Flamborough—Glanbrook for mentioning our Canadian Forces personnel and first responders. I know that members would join him in that.

Subtopic:   Petitions
Sub-subtopic:   Electoral Reform
CPC

David Anderson

Conservative

Mr. David Anderson (Cypress Hills—Grasslands, CPC)

Mr. Speaker, I have two petitions to present.

In the first petition, a number of my constituents call upon the House of Commons to pass legislation that recognizes preborn children as separate victims when they are injured or killed during the commission of an offence against their mothers, which would allow two charges to be laid against the offender, instead of just one.

Subtopic:   Petitions
Sub-subtopic:   Justice
CPC

David Anderson

Conservative

Mr. David Anderson (Cypress Hills—Grasslands, CPC)

Mr. Speaker, my second petition calls on the Government of Canada to maintain the listing of the Islamic Republic of Iran as a state supporter of terrorism for as long as the Iranian regime continues to sponsor terrorism.

On a lighter note, I would like to wish the Speaker, all members, and all Canadians a very merry Christmas.

Subtopic:   Petitions
Sub-subtopic:   Iran
NDP

Don Davies

New Democratic Party

Mr. Don Davies (Vancouver Kingsway, NDP)

Mr. Speaker, I am pleased to present a petition signed by dozens of residents of Vancouver Kingsway calling on the government to enable a network of community-operated media centres to ensure the survival of community TV, the availability of local media in towns and neighbourhoods not served by public or private media, and that all Canadian residents have access to multi-platform media skills training and content distribution in the digital economy. These people recognize the vital importance of community media in this country as a complement to the private and public elements.

I also would like to extend my best wishes to the Speaker and all members of the House for a peaceful and joyous holiday season and best wishes for a happy new year.

Subtopic:   Petitions
Sub-subtopic:   Telecommunications
NDP

Christine Moore

New Democratic Party

Ms. Christine Moore (Abitibi—Témiscamingue, NDP)

Mr. Speaker, I am pleased to present a petition signed mainly by people from the region of Temiscaming in my riding. They believe that community television and access to local media is important. They are asking the government and the CRTC to take action on this matter.

Subtopic:   Petitions