November 21, 2006

CPC

Tom Lukiwski

Conservative

Mr. Tom Lukiwski (Parliamentary Secretary to the Leader of the Government in the House of Commons and Minister for Democratic Reform, CPC)

Mr. Speaker, pursuant to Standing Order 36(8) I have the honour to table, in both official languages, the government's response to eight petitions.

Subtopic:   Government Response to Petitions

Bernard Patry

Mr. Bernard Patry (Pierrefonds—Dollard, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, pursuant to Standing Order 34(1), I have the honour to present to the House, in both official languages, the report of the parliamentary delegation of the Canadian branch of the Assemblée parlementaire de la Francophonie that participated in the meeting of the Bureau of the APF in Rabat, Morocco, on June 29, 2006, and in the 32nd annual session of the APF, also held in Rabat, Morocco, from June 30 to July 3, 2006.

Subtopic:   Interparliamentary Delegations
NDP

Peter Stoffer

New Democratic Party

Mr. Peter Stoffer (Sackville—Eastern Shore, NDP)

Mr. Speaker, there have been consultations between the parties and I believe you will find unanimous consent for the following motion. I move:

That, in the opinion of this House, the Government of Canada should honour all who served Canada in the first world war by sponsoring a state funeral on the passing of the last Canadian veteran of this Great War.

Subtopic:   World War I Veterans
CPC

Tom Lukiwski

Conservative

Mr. Tom Lukiwski

Mr. Speaker, I rise on a point of order. We received this request from my hon. colleague yesterday and while we would have preferred to have a discussion on the various approaches, we will support this motion since it was one of the options that the government had been considering in any event.

That said, I think it is prudent that we take the time to properly consider other options, and proceed with the most appropriate and dignified one to honour all veterans of the first world war.

Subtopic:   World War I Veterans

Peter Milliken

The Speaker

Does the hon. member for Sackville—Eastern Shore have the unanimous consent of the House to propose this motion?

Subtopic:   World War I Veterans

Some hon. members

Agreed.

Subtopic:   World War I Veterans

Peter Milliken

The Speaker

The House has heard the terms of the motion. Is it the pleasure of the House to adopt the motion?

Subtopic:   World War I Veterans

Some hon. members

Agreed.

Subtopic:   World War I Veterans
BQ

Michel Guimond

Bloc Québécois

Mr. Michel Guimond (Montmorency—Charlevoix—Haute-Côte-Nord, BQ)

Mr. Speaker, following discussions with my colleagues from the other parties, I think that if you were to seek it, you would easily find unanimous consent to adopt the following motion. By unanimous consent, it was ordered:

That the recorded division scheduled for Wednesday, November 22, 2006 on a motion for second reading of Bill C-285 be redeferred to Tuesday, November 28, 2006, at the expiry of the time provided for government orders.

Subtopic:   Bill C-285--Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Act

Peter Milliken

The Speaker

Does the hon. member for Montmorency—Charlevoix—Haute-Côte-Nord have the unanimous consent of the House to move this motion?

Subtopic:   Bill C-285--Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Act

(Motion agreed to)

Subtopic:   Bill C-285--Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Act
CPC

Jay Hill

Conservative

Hon. Jay Hill

Mr. Speaker, I rise on a point of order. There appears to have been a bit of miscommunication. I wonder if you would find it possible to revert to introduction of government bills.

Subtopic:   Bill C-285--Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Act

Peter Milliken

The Speaker

Is there unanimous consent to revert to introduction of government bills?

Subtopic:   Bill C-285--Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Act

Some hon. members

Agreed.

Subtopic:   Bill C-285--Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Act

Peter Milliken

The Speaker

There is no consent. I called introduction of government bills but nobody rose. I was not aware that there was a bill to be introduced.

Presenting petitions.

Subtopic:   Bill C-285--Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Act

Sue Barnes

Hon. Sue Barnes (London West, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, I have a petition from citizens in London and Middlesex drawing the attention of the House that literacy is a prerequisite for social and economic development, that approximately 38% of Canadians have difficulty reading and writing, that illiteracy costs Canadian society approximately $10 billion annually, and that the successful elimination of adult illiteracy is a key component in ensuring Canadian competitiveness in the global market as well as ensuring the quality of life for thousands of Canadians.

Therefore, the petitioners call upon Parliament to reinstate funding to literacy programs cut by the Conservative government and to undertake a national literacy strategy to ensure that all Canadians have the opportunity to achieve this vital skill. There are a couple of pages of signatures from my constituents who are very much in favour of funding the literacy programs in full.

Subtopic:   Petitions