November 17, 2004

Anne McLellan

Hon. Anne McLellan (Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, as I understand it the operational policy of the force in relation to funerals is quite clear and it has been applied consistently over the years. Because of the events that have arisen and the questions that have been raised, the commissioner has asked for a review of this policy and I am sure we all look forward to the results of that review.

Subtopic:   Royal Canadian Mounted Police
BQ

Serge Cardin

Bloc Québécois

Mr. Serge Cardin (Sherbrooke, BQ)

Mr. Speaker, the Vermont Environmental Board has just authorized the Coventry landfill site to double its capacity. The neighbouring Lake Memphremagog risks being contaminated as a result. This is not a new problem. The Bloc Québécois had asked that it be raised with the International Joint Commission so that it could look into it. With this decision, Vermont is denying a request by the City of Sherbrooke and the RCM of Memphremagog to phase out the landfill.

Will the Minister of the Environment intervene?

Subtopic:   The Environment

Dan McTeague

Hon. Dan McTeague (Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, this is a question for foreign affairs. I am pleased to say it is an issue that we on this side of the House also take seriously. I know that there are members on this side who have worked very hard on this issue.

I must point out that it was no coincidence that the Prime Minister raised the issue with President Bush when he had the opportunity. We are very pleased to find ourselves in a position where the RCM of Memphremagog has now been given a status.

Subtopic:   The Environment

Beth Phinney

Ms. Beth Phinney (Hamilton Mountain, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, there has been considerable talk recently about the risk of a worldwide pandemic and the preparedness of different countries in dealing with such a problem.

Would the Minister of State for Public Health please explain to the House what steps the government is taking to protect Canadians against a potential pandemic?

Subtopic:   Health

Carolyn Bennett

Hon. Carolyn Bennett (Minister of State (Public Health), Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, I want to reassure the member that Canada has a comprehensive pandemic influenza plan which the World Health Organization has called a best model for other countries.

Today the Minister of Health and our chief public health officer for Canada were at the WHO in New York to launch the next phase of the global public health intelligence network. This made in Canada early warning system gathers and disseminates the reports of public health significance in real time on a 24/7 basis, in seven languages, at the Public Health Agency of Canada. The earlier we know about public health risks, the better prepared we can be.

Subtopic:   Health
BQ

Maka Kotto

Bloc Québécois

Mr. Maka Kotto (Saint-Lambert, BQ)

Mr. Speaker, members of UNESCO had until November 15 to state their position on the cultural diversity convention. We can assume that by now, UNESCO knows Canada's position.

Can the Minister of Heritage explain why the House of Commons was not informed before she submitted Canada's position, which, as we know, engages Quebec's cultural interests?

Subtopic:   Cultural Diversity

Liza Frulla

Hon. Liza Frulla (Minister of Canadian Heritage and Minister responsible for Status of Women, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, the members had until mid November, and November 19 is mid November.

We will send our written comments on UNESCO's preliminary convention by November 19.

In preparing this written submission, we have consulted—that is where November 19 comes into play—federal departments, the provinces and the cultural coalition. As soon as we have submitted it, we will provide hon. members with a copy as well.

Subtopic:   Cultural Diversity

The Speaker

I would like to draw to the attention of hon. members the presence in the gallery of the winners of the 2004 Governor General's Literary Awards: Ms. Roo Borson, M. André Brochu, Ms. Judith Cowan, Mme Emma Haché, Mr. Stéphane Jorisch, Mme Nicole Leroux, Mme Janice Nadeau, Mr. Kenneth Oppel, Mr. Morris Panych, Mme Pascale Quiviger, M. Jean-Jacques Simard, Mr. Ivan Steenhout, and Mrs. Miriam Toews.

I invite you to join them in room 216-N for a reception.

Subtopic:   Presence in Gallery

Some hon. members

Hear, hear!

Subtopic:   Presence in Gallery

The Speaker

It is my duty pursuant to Standing Order 81(14) to inform the House that the motion to be considered tomorrow during consideration of the business of supply is as follows:

That, in the opinion of this House, the federal government should acknowledge processed trans fatty acids are harmful fats, which are significantly more likely to cause heart disease than saturated fats;

And that this House hasten the development of replacements to processed trans fats by urging the government to enact regulation, or if necessary legislation within one year, guided by the findings of a multi-stakeholder Task Force, including the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada and following the consultation process with scientists and the industry currently underway;

Therefore, this House calls on the government to enact regulation, or if necessary present legislation that effectively eliminates processed trans fats, by limiting the processed trans fat content of any food product sold in Canada to the lowest level possible.

This motion, standing in the name of the hon. member for Winnipeg Centre, is votable.

Copies of the motion are available at the Table.

The Chair has notice of a point of order from the hon. member for Cumberland--Colchester--Musquodoboit Valley. I will hear that one first.

Subtopic:   Business of Supply
CPC

Bill Casey

Conservative

Mr. Bill Casey (Cumberland—Colchester—Musquodoboit Valley, CPC)

Mr. Speaker, the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration said during question period that I asked her yesterday for a ministerial permit for my constituents, a desperate family of four in my riding, the Heidi and Holger Renner family, who are about to be deported. If the minister spoke truthfully, she would have said that I approached her on October 6 when she was in her seat in the House. Forty-two days ago I raised this issue with her.

Yesterday I received 19 letters of support for the family. I gave the letters to her for this desperate family, Heidi and Holger Renner. I think it is shameful that she would compare this desperate family with her problems with an exotic dancer.

Subtopic:   Points of Order

The Speaker

It sounds to me like a matter for debate. I do not know whether the minister wishes to respond. The hon. member seems to have confirmed the statement. He apparently made an approach yesterday. He has clarified the facts and given more information on the matter. Whether we need to go further with this, I am not sure. It does not sound like a point of order to me.

Subtopic:   Points of Order
CPC

Bill Casey

Conservative

Mr. Bill Casey

Mr. Speaker, all I want the minister to do is acknowledge that I first approached her in her seat on October 6, not yesterday.

Subtopic:   Points of Order

The Speaker

The minister may choose to intervene. If she does, that is fine, but I do not think there is a point of order in respect of the proceedings in the House. The minister gave an answer. The member has made clear the position.

Subtopic:   Points of Order

Judy Sgro

Hon. Judy Sgro (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, I appreciate the comments from the hon. member. It is a very important case. I am currently looking at it under humanitarian and compassionate grounds.

Subtopic:   Points of Order
NDP

Jack Layton

New Democratic Party

Mr. Jack Layton (Toronto—Danforth, NDP)

Mr. Speaker, I am rising on a point of order with regard to comments made by the Minister of Finance during question period.

In answering a question from my colleague from Winnipeg North, the minister suggested that I may not have been in the House. I believe it is against the practice of this chamber to refer to the presence or absence of a member who has not been recognized by the Chair. Therefore I would ask that the minister be requested to withdraw his remarks.

Subtopic:   Points of Order

The Speaker

I appreciate the diligence of the hon. member for Toronto--Danforth in bringing this matter to the attention of the Chair.

I was very careful to listen to what the Minister of Finance said. What he said was that he looked to make sure that the leader of the New Democratic Party was there to hear the question. That is what I heard but I will check the blues. He said he had looked to make sure he was in the House. It was obvious to all of us that the hon. member was in fact here. He then went on to say he was surprised. He wanted to make sure he heard the question or the answer, I have forgotten which it was now, and went on from there. He did not say the hon. member was not here. Had he done so, he might have got in some trouble with me. I can reassure the hon. member for Toronto--Danforth on that point.

I will review the blues. If it says that the hon. member was not here, then naturally I will have the Minister of Finance on the floor in a minute and will deal with the matter.

Subtopic:   Points of Order
CPC

John Reynolds

Conservative

Mr. John Reynolds (West Vancouver—Sunshine Coast—Sea to Sky Country, CPC)

Mr. Speaker, during question period, while the member for Calgary—Nose Hill was asking a question, the President of the Treasury Board was yelling some perhaps unparliamentary comments across the aisle, but at the same time, he called her “sweetheart”.

I know her husband thinks she is a sweetheart, but I do not think she wants people to know that the President of the Treasury Board is her sweetheart. I would ask him to apologize for making that statement to the hon. member during question period.

Subtopic:   Points of Order

Reg Alcock

Hon. Reg Alcock (President of the Treasury Board and Minister responsible for the Canadian Wheat Board, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, if that was what was understood, I certainly would apologize for it. I believe what I did was call the member for Pictou—Antigonish--Guysborough a scumbag, not a sweetheart.

Subtopic:   Points of Order

The Speaker

I do not know who the member for Pictou—Antigonish—Guysborough is, but I see the hon. member for Central Nova rising on this matter. Perhaps he has a question of privilege.

Subtopic:   Points of Order