March 30, 2004

Mauril Bélanger

Hon. Mauril Bélanger (Deputy Leader of the Government in the House of Commons, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, discussions have taken place between all parties and I believe that you will find consent for the following order. I move:

That at the conclusion of today's debate on Ways and Means Motion No. 1, all questions necessary to dispose of this motion be deemed put, a recorded division deemed requested and deferred to 3:00 p.m., Wednesday, March 31, 2004.

And that immediately following the recorded division on Ways and Means Motion No. 1, the following recorded divisions will take place: Ways and means Motions No. 7 and No. 8, Motion M-475 in the name of the member from Charlevoix and the motion for second reading of Bill C-439 in the name of the member from Sudbury.

Subtopic:   Business of the House

The Speaker

Does the government House leader have unanimous consent of the House to present the motion?

Subtopic:   Business of the House

Some hon. members

Agreed.

Subtopic:   Business of the House

The Speaker

The House has heard the terms of the motion. Is it the pleasure of the House to adopt the motion?

Subtopic:   Business of the House

Some hon. members

Agreed.

(Motion agreed to)

Subtopic:   Business of the House
CA

Ken Epp

Canadian Alliance

Mr. Ken Epp

Mr. Speaker, this is but a very small point. I regret greatly that I am unilingual and I do not understand French. However, when you are putting those motions, I do not know what I am voting on until the interpreters have finished their work. I would appreciate a little longer pause before you actually ask the question on agreement.

Subtopic:   Business of the House

The Speaker

I will try to bear that in mind in future discussions.

Subtopic:   Business of the House
BQ

Michel Guimond

Bloc Québécois

Mr. Michel Guimond

Mr. Speaker, I would like you to know that you can continue to speak quickly, even in English. That is why we have highly skilled interpreters in this House.

Subtopic:   Business of the House

Roger Gallaway

Hon. Roger Gallaway (Parliamentary Secretary to the Leader of the Government in the House of Commons, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, pursuant to Standing Order 36(8) I have the pleasure to table, in both official languages, the government's response to one petition.

Subtopic:   Government Response to Petitions

The Acting Speaker (Mr. Bélair)

I have the honour to lay upon the table the 2003 Canadian Human Rights Tribunal annual report.

Subtopic:   Canadian Human Rights Tribunal

Charles Caccia

Hon. Charles Caccia (Davenport, Lib.)

Mr. Speaker, I have the honour to present to the House, in both official languages, the report of the Canadian delegation of the Canada-Europe Parliamentary Association regarding attendance at the conference on the global partnership against the spread of weapons of mass destruction and materials of mass destruction, held in France in November.

I would like to express the hope that we can modify our rules to permit a late show debate when events of this kind take place abroad so as to give Canadians the benefit of the content of these discussions and debates.

Subtopic:   Interparliamentary Delegations

The Acting Speaker (Mr. Bélair)

Does the hon. member for Davenport have two more reports to present or has he finished?

Subtopic:   Interparliamentary Delegations

Charles Caccia

Hon. Charles Caccia

I apologize, Mr. Speaker. The next report deals with the participation of the Canadian delegation at the meeting of the committee on economic affairs and development at the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. This event took place in London in January of this year. Also, at the same time there was attendance at the ordinary session of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, which took place in Strasbourg, France, in the last week of January.

Subtopic:   Interparliamentary Delegations
CA

Dave Chatters

Canadian Alliance

Mr. David Chatters (Athabasca, CPC)

moved for leave to introduce Bill C-508, an act to amend the Income Tax Act and the Income Tax Regulations (public safety occupations).

Mr. Speaker, I am pleased to introduce my private member's bill, seconded by the member for Elk Island, which is an act to amend the Income Tax Act and the income tax regulations in regard to public safety occupations.

In the budget plan of 2003 the finance minister increased the maximum pension accrual rate for firefighters from 2% to 2.33%. Historically, police officers, corrections officers, air traffic controllers and commercial airline pilots have been provided the same consideration under the income tax regulations as firefighters. My private member's bill seeks to provide equal benefit for all individuals who work in public safety occupations. It would allow police officers, corrections officers, air traffic controllers and commercial airline pilots to receive the same pension benefits as firefighters.

Individuals who work in these important public safety professions endure long hours and stressful working conditions to give us the freedom to live our lives with minimal concern. It is because of this important contribution made by these workers that I believe they should be treated equally under the law.

(Motions deemed adopted, bill read the first time and printed)

Subtopic:   Income Tax Act

Clifford Lincoln

Mr. Clifford Lincoln (Lac-Saint-Louis, Lib.)

moved that Bill S-8, an act concerning personal watercraft in navigable waters, be read the first time.

(Motion agreed to and bill read the first time)

Subtopic:   Personal Watercraft Act
CA

Ken Epp

Canadian Alliance

Mr. Ken Epp (Elk Island, CPC)

Mr. Speaker, I am honoured to present a petition on behalf of my constituents in the former part of my riding of Elk Island, people from Beaumont and Rolly View. Is that not a wonderful name for a town for a person of my stature?

The petitioners are very concerned and are pleading with the government to protect the definition of marriage as between one man and one woman exclusively.

The second petition contains 159 signatures on the same topic. This time it is from people who are presently in my riding but who will not be after the next election. They are from the towns of Radway, Thorhild and Redwater, but of course Sherwood Park will be in the riding in which I am running.

These people are also very concerned about the lack of response from the government on the same issue, that the lifelong union of one man and one woman to the exclusion of all others should be the definition of marriage.

Subtopic:   Petitions

Rex Barnes

Mr. Rex Barnes (Gander—Grand Falls, CPC)

Mr. Speaker, I also have a petition calling upon the government to take all necessary steps to preserve marriage as the union of one man and one woman to the exclusion of all others.

Subtopic:   Petitions

Roger Gallaway

Mr. Speaker, I ask that all questions be allowed to stand.

Subtopic:   Questions on the Order Paper

The Acting Speaker (Mr. Bélair)

Is that agreed?