June 10, 1993

ROUTINE PROCEEDINGS

GOVERNMENT RESPONSE TO PETITIONS

Charles A. Langlois (Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Defence; Parliamentary Secretary to the Leader of the Government in the House of Commons)

Mr. Charles A. Langlois (Parliamentary Secretary to Leader of the Government in the House of Commons and to Minister of National Defence):

Madam Speaker, pursuant to Standing Order 36(8), I have the honour to table, in both official languages, the government's response to 48 petitions.

[Editor's Note: See today's Votes and Proceedings.]

Topic:   ROUTINE PROCEEDINGS
Subtopic:   GOVERNMENT RESPONSE TO PETITIONS

INTERPARLIAMENTARY DELEGATIONS

REPORT ON MEETING OF COMMONWEALTH PARLIAMENTARY ASSOCIATION

Peter Andrew Stewart Milliken

Mr. Peter Milliken (Kingston and the Islands):

Madam Speaker, I have the honour to table, in both official languages, the report of my visit to the United Kingdom as the delegate from this House on the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association.

Topic:   INTERPARLIAMENTARY DELEGATIONS
Subtopic:   REPORT ON MEETING OF COMMONWEALTH PARLIAMENTARY ASSOCIATION

Some hon. members:

Oh, oh.

Topic:   INTERPARLIAMENTARY DELEGATIONS
Subtopic:   REPORT ON MEETING OF COMMONWEALTH PARLIAMENTARY ASSOCIATION

Peter Andrew Stewart Milliken

Mr. Milliken:

I do not know why there is any cause for merriment, Madam Speaker, I am presenting a report.

Topic:   INTERPARLIAMENTARY DELEGATIONS
Subtopic:   REPORT ON MEETING OF COMMONWEALTH PARLIAMENTARY ASSOCIATION

An hon. member:

It is just that we like Peter.

Topic:   INTERPARLIAMENTARY DELEGATIONS
Subtopic:   REPORT ON MEETING OF COMMONWEALTH PARLIAMENTARY ASSOCIATION

Andrée Champagne (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

Madam Deputy Speaker:

I also like the hon. member for Kingston and the Islands, but I would like to hear what he is saying.

Topic:   INTERPARLIAMENTARY DELEGATIONS
Subtopic:   REPORT ON MEETING OF COMMONWEALTH PARLIAMENTARY ASSOCIATION

Peter Andrew Stewart Milliken

Mr. Milliken:

It is always nice to hear my own voice, Madam Speaker, but I want to table the report.

I happened to be the only delegate that went from this Parliament to this meeting. Only one was invited. The lot fell to the Liberal Party this year and I was selected by my Whip and the members of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association to attend this meeting.

I may say that the trip was a most interesting and enjoyable experience. I had the opportunity to meet with representatives from 15 Commonwealth countries. Their names and positions are detailed in the report. I am pleased to table this report today in fulfilment of my obligations.

Topic:   INTERPARLIAMENTARY DELEGATIONS
Subtopic:   REPORT ON MEETING OF COMMONWEALTH PARLIAMENTARY ASSOCIATION

FINANCE

FIRST REPORT OF SUBCOMMITTEE ON INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS

NDP

Steven W. Langdon

New Democratic Party

Mr. Steven W. Langdon (Essex-Windsor):

Madam Speaker, I have the honour to present, in both official languages, the first report of the Subcommittee on International Financial Institutions. It is also the 19th report of the Standing Committee on Finance.

This report deals with Canada's relations with the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank and calls for a full scale review of Canada's relations with those two institutions.

I would like to add my thanks to the members and research staff of the committee for their hard work in making this report possible.

[Editor's Note: See today's Votes and Proceedings.]

Topic:   FINANCE
Subtopic:   FIRST REPORT OF SUBCOMMITTEE ON INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS

YOUNG OFFENDERS ACT

MEASURE TO AMEND

Kenneth Albert James (Parliamentary Secretary to the Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Mr. Ken James (Sarnia-Lambton) moved

for leave to introduce Bill C-453, an act to amend the Young Offenders Act and the Criminal Code in consequence thereof.

Topic:   YOUNG OFFENDERS ACT
Subtopic:   MEASURE TO AMEND

Madam Deputy Speaker:

Pursuant to Standing Order 68(2), the motion is deemed adopted.

June 10, 1993

Routine Proceedings

Topic:   YOUNG OFFENDERS ACT
Subtopic:   MEASURE TO AMEND

Mr. James:

Madam Speaker, it is my pleasure to introduce a private member's bill which will amend the Young Offenders Act and the Criminal Code in consequence thereof.

A good number of residents in my riding of Sarnia- Lambton, local law enforcement officials and members of the judiciary have expressed concerns and suggestions with respect to the Young Offenders Act.

In response the purpose of this bill is fourfold. First, it defines a young person as someone being between the ages of 10 and 16.

Second, it will instruct a judge to give primary consideration to the protection of society when considering a transfer to adult court for repeat young offenders and those charged with a violent offence.

Third, the bill will ensure that any young person who is found to experience a destructive home environment and who is convicted is directed to proper rehabilitation facilities.

Finally, it will make the criminal record of an offender available to the offender's school principal.

It is with great pleasure that I rise today to introduce these amendments on behalf of my constituents of Sarnia-Lambton.

Topic:   YOUNG OFFENDERS ACT
Subtopic:   MEASURE TO AMEND

Madam Deputy Speaker:

Mr. James moves that the bill be now read the first time and printed.

Pursuant to Standing Order 69(1), the motion is deemed adopted.

Bill read the first time and printed.

Topic:   YOUNG OFFENDERS ACT