June 9, 1993

Martin Brian Mulroney (Prime Minister)

Right Hon. Brian Mulroney (Prime Minister):

Madam Speaker, if it were as simple as my hon. friend suggests then of course it would have been done.

We were informed by the president of Brazil and by the minister of justice of Brazil that the suggestions of any degree of automatic reaction were misleading and unhelpful both to the case and inconsistent with judicial traditions in Brazil.

I raised the matter myself with the former president of Brazil. We engaged the minister of justice in Brazil on this very actively. We have been pursuing this case vigorously and very enthusiastically. We share the deep sympathy my friend expresses for Ms. Lamont and Mr. Spencer.

We thought the decision was very unfortunate as we thought the sentence was inappropriate. Brazil has its own judicial traditions, as do we. One of them is that it is resistant to intrusion and invasion from the political sector as it ought to be.

Routine Proceedings

That being said I have thought for some time that perhaps the best way to deal with this was to secure expeditious passage of the transfer of offenders act in Brazil which would allow us to seek the transfer of Ms. Lamont and Mr. Spencer from Brazil to Canada, thereby subjecting them to review by the National Parole Board of Canada and conditions in Canadian jails as opposed to those that prevail elsewhere.

This piece of legislation passed congress. I am informed that it is before the senate. We are pressing with every degree of energy to have this legislation passed before the Brazilian senate because we plan to invoke it as quickly as possible.

We believe that perhaps the most expeditious way, not the only one, of securing justice and at least some fairness for these two Canadians is to bring about their return to Canada very expeditiously so they will be subject to Canadian laws in Canada, reviewed by Canadian officials and I am sure liberation at a much earlier date.

Topic:   ORAL QUESTION PERIOD
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

Andrée Champagne (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

Madam Deputy Speaker:

I am now ready to rule on the matter raised by the hon. member for Humber-St. Barbe-Baie Verte on Friday, June 4, 1993.

Topic:   ORAL QUESTION PERIOD
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

David Charles Dingwall

Mr. Dingwall:

Madam Speaker, I rise on a point of order. I am wondering whether or not the usual courtesies have been extended to the hon. member in question.

My colleague is not in the Chamber at the present time and I am wondering whether the Chair or indeed the Table has informed him of this so he could be here to hear the ruling.

Topic:   ORAL QUESTION PERIOD
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

Madam Deputy Speaker:

I am informed that people in the party were told. If the hon. member would rather wait until tomorrow, I am quite prepared to do so.

Topic:   ORAL QUESTION PERIOD
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

David Charles Dingwall

Mr. Dingwall:

I thank the Chair for the information. I would respectfully request we postpone the decision until tomorrow when my colleague is in the Chamber.

Topic:   ORAL QUESTION PERIOD
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

Madam Deputy Speaker:

By all means.

Topic:   ORAL QUESTION PERIOD
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

ROUTINE PROCEEDINGS

ORDER IN COUNCIL APPOINTMENT

Harvie Andre (Minister of State (Without Portfolio); Leader of the Government in the House of Commons; Progressive Conservative Party House Leader)

Hon. Harvie Andre (Minister of State and Leader of the Government in the House of Commons):

Madam Speaker, I am pleased to table, in both official languages, a nomination that was recently made by the government.

Pursuant to the provisions of Standing Order 110(2), it is deemed referred to the Standing Committee on Communications and Culture.

Topic:   ROUTINE PROCEEDINGS
Subtopic:   ORDER IN COUNCIL APPOINTMENT
Sub-subtopic:   TABLING OF NOMINATION

GOVERNMENT RESPONSE TO PETITIONS

Charles A. Langlois (Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Defence; Parliamentary Secretary to the Leader of the Government in the House of Commons)

Mr. Charles A. Langlois (Parliamentary Secretary to Leader of the Government in the House of Commons and to Minister of National Defence):

Madam Speaker, pursuant to Standing Order 36(8), I have the honour to table, in both official languages, the government's response to 28 petitions.

[Editor's Note: See today's Votes and Proceedings.]

Topic:   ROUTINE PROCEEDINGS
Subtopic:   GOVERNMENT RESPONSE TO PETITIONS

17TH REPORT OF STANDING COMMITTEE

Robert Nesbitt Horner

Mr. Bob Horner (Mississauga West):

Madam Speaker,

I have the honour to present the 17th report of the Standing Committee on Justice and Solicitor General, in both official languages.

In accordance with its order of reference of Monday, May 11, 1992 your committee has considered the four-year review of the act to amend the Criminal Code and the Canada Evidence Act (sexual offences), chapter 19, third supplement, Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985, which formerly was Bill C-15, and has agreed to report it with 17 amendments.

June 9, 1993

Topic:   ROUTINE PROCEEDINGS
Subtopic:   GOVERNMENT RESPONSE TO PETITIONS
Sub-subtopic:   JUSTICE AND SOLICITOR GENERAL

14TH REPORT OF STANDING COMMITTEE

Jean-Robert Gauthier

Mr. Jean-Robert Gauthier (Ottawa-Vanier):

Madam Speaker, I have the honour to present the 14th report of the Standing Committee on Public Accounts, in both official languages.

The report deals with the effectiveness of the employment programs of Employment and Immigration Canada.

Topic:   ROUTINE PROCEEDINGS
Subtopic:   GOVERNMENT RESPONSE TO PETITIONS
Sub-subtopic:   PUBLIC ACCOUNTS

4TH REPORT OF STANDING COMMITTEE

Marc Ferland

Mr. Marc Ferland (Portneuf):

Madam Speaker, I have the honour to present, in both official languages, the 4th report of the Standing Committee on National Defence and Veterans Affairs, concerning peacekeeping.

The committee conducted a study of peacekeeping. It heard testimony from many experts. It also solicited briefs from the general public and heard citizens' testimony and here it reports its conclusions and recommendations.

I wish to thank personally all the research staff for the support we obtained, as well as all Canadians and experts who appeared before the committee.

[Editor's Note: See today's Votes and Proceedings.]