February 2, 1993

Russell Gregoire MacLellan

Mr. Russell MacLellan (Cape Breton-The Sydneys):

Mr. Speaker, the police say that they cannot do anything until the victim is harmed. These who are being stalked are living in terror.

Just assuming that the provisions were in the Criminal Code now, which certainly not everyone agrees with, how is the Minister of Justice going to force all the attorneys general in Canada to do something.

Why does the Minister of Justice not just amend the law so there is no question, and the lives of more women in this country are not risked? Will he bring forward these amendments immediately, certainly before a prorogation of this House?

Subtopic:   JUSTICE

Pierre Blais (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada; Minister of State (Agriculture))

Hon. Pierre Blais (Minister of Justice, Attorney General of Canada and Minister of State (Agriculture)):

Mr. Speaker, I already said that I was as concerned as he is about these unfortunate events. I trust that with the co-operation of the hon. member and the other parties in this House, we will be able to present amendments, if necessary, so that people can feel safe. I quite agree with my colleague but we must also ensure that individual rights are respected.

February 2, 1993

I assured my colleague and I reassure him that we will react. I have asked my officials to examine all these provisions of the Criminal Code to see where improvements could be made.

Subtopic:   JUSTICE

FISHERIES

Francis G. LeBlanc

Mr. Francis G. LeBlanc (Cape Breton Highlands- Canso):

Mr. Speaker, my question is for the minister of fisheries. His announcement in December that fishermen who did not use their groundfish licences for the last two years will have these licences taken away has shocked and angered inshore fishermen across Atlantic Canada, so much so that they feel compelled to take his department to court in order to get this astonishing decision reversed.

Will the minister now admit that this decision in December was an unfortunate mistake and will he assure bona fide inshore fishermen today that they will not lose their licences as a result of this absurd policy?

Subtopic:   FISHERIES

John Carnell Crosbie (Minister for the purposes of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency Act; Minister of Fisheries and Oceans)

Hon. John C. Crosbie (Minister of Fisheries and Oceans and Minister for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency):

Mr. Speaker, I believe that all of the provincial governments and those who have some knowledge of this matter agree that there is a great deal of over-harvesting capacity and over-processing capacity in the Atlantic fishery. That is surely obvious to anyone.

When the Atlantic groundfish management panel was announced and accepted with great approbation by all those who were present, one of its provisions was for groundfish licences not used in the last two years, licences where not one pound of fish had been reported as being caught by the holder of the licence, that we would not reissue licences of that nature this year because we have to attempt to get under control the chaotic licensing situation in the Atlantic Canada fishery.

As always, matters are far more complicated than they appear on the surface and that is the case in this particular situation.

Subtopic:   FISHERIES

Some hon. members:

Time.

Oral Questions

Subtopic:   FISHERIES

Mr. Crosbie:

If you don't want to hear what I have to say, don't ask me a question.

Mr. Francis G. LeBlanc (Cape Breton Highlands-

Canso): Mr. Speaker, nobody is arguing that there is an excess capacity in harvesting in the fishery.

The minister knows that the reason why these licences were inactive was because there were no fish to catch the last two years. These fishermen were merely applying the government's own bona fide licensing policy the way it was intended.

To the fishermen, this policy constitutes no less than a breach of trust. This insane decision will actually increase-

Subtopic:   FISHERIES

Gerald R. Ottenheimer (Speaker pro tempore)

Mr. Speaker:

I wonder if the hon. member, given the time, would put his question.

Subtopic:   FISHERIES

Francis G. LeBlanc

Mr. LeBlanc (Cape Breton Highlands-Canso):

Only a full retreat is acceptable. Will the minister reverse his decision to take away these groundfish licences today?

Subtopic:   FISHERIES

Mr. Speaker, the hon. member is cerebrally challenged if he thinks I am going to go into a full retreat. I have never gone into a full retreat in my life and I do not intend to now.

Subtopic:   FISHERIES

Some hon. members:

Oh, oh.

Subtopic:   FISHERIES

Mr. Crosbie:

If the yahoos on the other side will let me say-

Subtopic:   FISHERIES

Gerald R. Ottenheimer (Speaker pro tempore)

Mr. Speaker:

I am sorry but we are going to move on.

Subtopic:   FISHERIES

AGRICULTURE

William D. (Bill) Casey

Mr. Bill Casey (Cumberland-Colchester):

Mr. Speaker, my question is for the Minister of Agriculture.

It concerns the Feed Freight Assistance Program which was originally designed to equalize the cost of feed to all farmers in Canada.

The current plan to implement the 10 per cent decrease will distort that concept of equalized feed cost to farmers. Some fanners will lose $6 a tonne and some will lose nothing.

February 2, 1993

Government Orders

Will the Minister of Agriculture adopt the alternative proposal which is a fair proposal and will cause each farmer in Canada to drop the same amount of money from the equalization program?

Subtopic:   AGRICULTURE

Charles James Mayer (Minister of Agriculture)

Hon. Charles Mayer (Minister of Agriculture):

Mr. Speaker, this question was raised with me by the New Brunswick Federation of Agriculture. We said then and say now that we are prepared to look at that type of proposal with the idea of seeing that the reductions in expenditures are carried out in a way that treats everybody as even-handedly and as fairly as we can.

I thank the hon. member for his suggestion. We will certainly be prepared to consider it.

Subtopic:   AGRICULTURE

Gerald R. Ottenheimer (Speaker pro tempore)

Mr. Speaker:

The hon. member for Hamilton East on a question of privilege.

Subtopic:   AGRICULTURE

PRIVILEGE

Sheila Maureen Copps

Ms. Sheila Copps (Hamilton East):

Mr. Speaker, earlier in the Question Period the Minister for International Trade suggested that I had distorted the facts yesterday in Question Period when I said that 10,000 people-

Subtopic:   PRIVILEGE
Sub-subtopic:   COMMENTS DURING QUESTION PERIOD

Gerald R. Ottenheimer (Speaker pro tempore)

Mr. Speaker:

First of all, the question of privilege should have been raised immediately after the remarks were made, if it was said yesterday. Second, it is very difficult for me to see how it is a question of privilege even today.

Subtopic:   PRIVILEGE