December 13, 1988

BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE

Douglas Grinslade Lewis (President of the Treasury Board; Minister of State (Government House Leader); Minister of State (Treasury Board))

Mr. Lewis:

Mr. Speaker, I wish to advise the House that there have been discussions among the Parties and the staff of the Parties as to the most appropriate order of business today. It is our wish to proceed in as orderly a manner as possible after the completion of the vote on the Ways and Means Motion.

Therefore, we are proposing to the House that we resume debate after the vote on the Address in Reply to the Speech from the Throne in order to give the Right Hon. Leader of the Opposition (Mr. Turner) an opportunity to speak, and also in order to give the Leader of the New Democratic Party an opportunity to speak.

We make that proposal on the condition that the procedural debate which is on the Order Paper in my name, which we intend to call tomorrow, be completed by 7 p.m. Wednesday evening.

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE

Jean-Robert Gauthier (Chief Opposition Whip; Whip of the Liberal Party)

Mr. Gauthier:

That's closure.

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE
NDP

Herbert Eser (Herb) Gray (Official Opposition House Leader; Liberal Party House Leader)

Mr. Gray (Windsor West):

Mr. Speaker, while it seems reasonable on the surface that we have the debate continue today, I do not think that it is reasonable for the Deputy Government House Leader to attempt to direct you, Sir, as to at what point the procedural debate we are sure to have on the acceptability of the Government's motion to suspend the rules should conclude. I think that any such decision as to how long debate on the acceptability of the motion will go is a matter for you, Sir, to decide. I am prepared to rely on Your Honour's good judgment in this matter.

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE
NDP

Nelson Andrew Riis (N.D.P. House Leader)

New Democratic Party

Mr. Riis:

Mr. Speaker, I have two reactions to the comments made by the Deputy House Leader. The first

concerns the intention to proceed with the Address in Reply to the Speech from the Throne, something which seems to be appropriate. I would like to seek an understanding at this point that once we get to this item on the agenda that the Leader of the Official Opposition (Mr. Turner) will speak and, with the approval of the House, that the Leader of the New Democratic Party will follow immediately in terms of having a chance to complete his remarks immediately following the remarks of the Leader of the Official Opposition. I seek that clarification first, Mr. Speaker.

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE

John Allen Fraser (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

The Hon. Minister in reply.

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE

Mr. Lewis:

Mr. Speaker, naturally, on the understanding that the entire suggestion is taken into account, yes, we on the government side are prepared to hear the Leader of the New Democratic Party after the Leader of the Official Opposition speaks. We want to give both individuals full opportunity to speak. Naturally, we would proceed on that basis on the understanding that, however, the procedural debate on the motion which is on the Order Paper now be called tomorrow and be completed by 7 p.m.

I am giving our undertaking that the Leader of the New Democratic Party would have ample time, the same as the Leader of the Official Opposition, to speak. We look forward to the remarks of both individuals.

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE
NDP

Nelson Andrew Riis (N.D.P. House Leader)

New Democratic Party

Mr. Riis:

Mr. Speaker, this seems to be a twist in the way the House does business. Never before have we had conditions attached to the approval for the Leader of the New Democratic Party to be allowed to complete his remarks. I am concerned that the Deputy House Leader for the Government is also directing decisions that ought to be Your Honour's to make and tying our hands as to when we can make procedural arguments and when they have to be completed. That does not seem to be a decision that the Deputy House Leader should be making but one that in fact Your Honour should be making.

I want to say that we have to consider this proposal. We are certainly prepared to consider it. But at this point I am not in a position to respond either favourably to it or against it.

December 13, 1988

Tabling of Documents

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE

Jean-Robert Gauthier (Chief Opposition Whip; Whip of the Liberal Party)

Mr. Gauthier:

Mr. Speaker, I want to remind the House that I asked the House Leader yesterday in the House what the agenda for today would be. At that time the Deputy House Leader answered, and we will find that on page 18 of Hansard:

-we will be calling the vote on the Ways and Means Motion tomorrow-

I asked specifically if he would designate a day for continuing the debate on the address. He did not answer me. I took it that he knew what he was doing at that time, that there was either total confusion on that side or that they had a plan for today.

[DOT] (UIO)

I submit to you, Mr. Speaker, that the proposal now is that we will have this address continued today but on the condition put by the Government that we agree tomorrow on closure. That is the point. At seven o'clock tomorrow night, debate on a motion must be taken up and finished, if I understood the Minister properly. If that is the point, then-

.. . That is blackmail! That is all it is. It is bargaining in public and it does not work; it cannot work either.

I would say to the Minister that if he wants to begin the session with this kind of approach of giving, taking back, giving . . . this kind of attitude will not work.

So I ask him to be frank with the House. Today we would like to proceed with the Speech from the Throne. We ask that the Leader of the Liberals and the Leader of the New Democratic Party be heard. If he is prepared to do that, we will negotiate other matters after. But we must not negotiate the Throne Speech with such an unacceptable proposition as, "Tomorrow, we will impose closure." That does not work.

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE

John Allen Fraser (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

I think under the circumstances it would be best if we proceeded with Routine Proceedings. There may, of course, be further discussions between representatives of all three Parties.

I have a preliminary matter which I must bring to the attention of Hon. Members. Hon. Members will know, at least some will know, but I want to bring it to all Hon. Members' attention, especially new Members, that there is a new set of House Orders which were adopted on May 27. These copies are now available. Some of you may have been operating under the old Orders. What you will find is that basically in substance they are the

same. However, the numbering is different. When Members are addressing the Chair on a procedural point, it might be advisable from now on to have a copy of the new book and keep it with you.

Some of you may find at first, because you are familiar with the old book, that you want to work with that, but as soon as possible I think it would be helpful for all to get the new book. You will find that it is an improvement. The rules are more logically set out. 1 do not think you will have any difficulty in using them. I do want to bring this especially to the attention of new Members.

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE

ROUTINE PROCEEDINGS

STANDING ORDERS

John Allen Fraser (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

I must formally make this announcement. I have the honour to lay upon the Table, pursuant to the Order of the House adopted on Lriday, May 27, 1988, a copy of the re-ordered and re-numbered Standing Orders of this House dated November, 1988.

Topic:   ROUTINE PROCEEDINGS
Subtopic:   STANDING ORDERS
Sub-subtopic:   TABLING OF REVISED ORDERS

SUPERINTENDENT OF FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS

Hon. Doug Lewis (Minister of State and Minister of State (Treasury Board) and Acting President of the Treasury Board):

Mr. Speaker, pursuant to Standing Order 32(1), I have the honour to lay upon the Table copies, in both official languages, of the 1988 Annual Report of the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions.

Topic:   ROUTINE PROCEEDINGS
Subtopic:   SUPERINTENDENT OF FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS
Sub-subtopic:   TABLING OF ANNUAL REPORT

REMISSION ORDER

And pursuant to Standing Order 32.2,

December 13, 1988

I also table copies in both official languages of the report to Parliament on the remission orders for the six months ending September 30, 1988, as well as other important remission orders.

While I am on my feet, I wish to move:

That the House now proceed to the Orders of the Day.

Topic:   ROUTINE PROCEEDINGS
Subtopic:   REMISSION ORDER
Sub-subtopic:   TABLING OF REPORT
NDP

Nelson Andrew Riis (N.D.P. House Leader)

New Democratic Party

Mr. Riis:

Mr. Speaker, I would like to seek clarification. If this motion succeeds and we go to Orders of the Day, does that preclude the request for an emergency debate being made today?

Topic:   ROUTINE PROCEEDINGS
Subtopic:   REMISSION ORDER
Sub-subtopic:   TABLING OF REPORT

John Allen Fraser (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

I should advise the Hon. House Leader for the New Democratic Party that under the rules, unless some consent can be obtained, I would not be able to entertain an application for an emergency debate. It may well be that consent could be obtained, but at the moment that would be the ruling I would have to make.

Topic:   ROUTINE PROCEEDINGS