August 29, 1988

Ramon John Hnatyshyn (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Hon. Ray Hnatyshyn (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada):

Mr. Speaker, I will give a non partisan response to the question. It is a serious question. I am not attempting to make it a partisan issue.

I am simply saying that it has been long recognized that our present obscenity laws-

Subtopic:   CRIMINAL CODE-APPLICATION OF PROVISIONS
NDP

Howard Douglas McCurdy

New Democratic Party

Mr. McCurdy:

Nonsense.

Subtopic:   CRIMINAL CODE-APPLICATION OF PROVISIONS

Ramon John Hnatyshyn (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. Hnatyshyn:

-require strengthening. Nonsense says the Hon. Member.

The fact is that we will be monitoring the situation. I am sure the Department of National Revenue is taking into account the representations made by the Hon. Member. I am not in a position to report to the Hon. Member as to precisely what action has been taken. I will take the question as notice and pass it on to my colleague. I am sure he will get back to the Hon. Member.

August 29, 1988

Subtopic:   CRIMINAL CODE-APPLICATION OF PROVISIONS

NATIONAL PARKS

Gordon Edward Taylor

Mr. Gordon Taylor (Bow River):

Mr. Speaker, my question is directed to the Hon. President of the Treasury Board or to her alternate. Given that excessive rates are charged civil servants and the RCMP who live in government owned houses in Banff, which has the highest rents of any national park in Canada, including Jasper National Park where rents for similar accommodations are some $300 lower, will the Hon. Minister lower the Banff rentals to what is charged in Jasper National Park or, at the very least, send someone with authority to the area to resolve this problem?

Subtopic:   NATIONAL PARKS
Sub-subtopic:   BANFF-RENTS CHARGED TO CIVIL SERVANTS

Douglas Grinslade Lewis (Minister of State (Government House Leader); Minister of State (Treasury Board))

Hon. Doug Lewis (Minister of State and Minister of State (Treasury Board)):

Mr. Speaker, my hon. friend will know that housing rental rates vary from community to community. Canada Mortgage and Housing is responsible for setting the rental appraisals on an annual basis on all federal Crown owned land. As it happens in the case of Banff, CMHC has established that there is a viable rental market which in fact is higher than in Jasper and other places in Canada. I point out that the appraisal methodology is approved by the National Joint Council and is part of the collective agreement we have with the 14 union members. However, I would say that I would be pleased to provide a briefing opportunity for my friend to review this with Treasury Board officials.

Subtopic:   NATIONAL PARKS
Sub-subtopic:   BANFF-RENTS CHARGED TO CIVIL SERVANTS

John Allen Fraser (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

These will be the last two questions.

Subtopic:   NATIONAL PARKS
Sub-subtopic:   BANFF-RENTS CHARGED TO CIVIL SERVANTS

IMMIGRATION

NDP

Daniel James Macdonnell Heap

New Democratic Party

Mr. Dan Heap (Spadina):

Mr. Speaker, my question is directed to the Minister of Employment and Immigration. As the Minister knows, the report of the Canada Employment and Immigration Advisory Council which was issued last Friday recommends that "The federal Government ensure that access to language training is available to all immigrants". Does the Minister agree with the recommendation? If so, what steps will she and her Government take to change the present rules which restrict official language training according to people's intended occupations?

Subtopic:   IMMIGRATION
Sub-subtopic:   IMMIGRANTS' ACCESS TO LANGUAGE TRAINING-ADVISORY COUNCIL RECOMMENDATION

Barbara Jean McDougall (Minister of Employment and Immigration; Minister responsible for the Status of Women)

Hon. Barbara McDougall (Minister of Employment and Immigration):

Mr. Speaker, I would like to thank the Hon. Member for his question. I would also like to thank the Advisory Council for a very thoughtful and excellent report on immigration in Canada. Certainly language training is a very important element of people being able to settle in Canada and take a full part in Canadian life.

Point of Order-Mr. Cadieux

As the Hon. Member knows, we have extended the language training through the Settlement Language Training Program and, through the Job Entry we have made it easier for immigrant women, for example, to receive language training in connection with their job training.

The chief difficulty is with women who remain at home. That is why we focused on those particular aspects.

Subtopic:   IMMIGRATION

John Allen Fraser (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

The Hon. Member for Spadina on a short supplementary.

Subtopic:   IMMIGRATION

MINISTER'S POSITION

NDP

Daniel James Macdonnell Heap

New Democratic Party

Mr. Dan Heap (Spadina):

Mr. Speaker, with respect to women who are supposedly destined to be at home, or women who are supposedly destined for jobs that do not require English, or men destined for such low paid jobs, or school children who receive no federal help for classes in English as the second language or French as the second language in their school, will the Minister continue to withhold official language training from such a large proportion of immigrants? Or will she take steps to change the rules?

Subtopic:   MINISTER'S POSITION

Hon. Barbara McDougall (Minister of Employment and Immigration):

Mr. Speaker, what we have done is attempt to expand language training for those most in need. Let me say that in terms of children, one of the reasons we have such a broad consultation process on immigration matters with the provinces, with employers, with labour groups and with various non-government organizations, is so, whatever immigration laws are determined, provincial educational systems and programs in place are able to deal with the numbers.

Subtopic:   MINISTER'S POSITION

John Allen Fraser (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

I should advise the House that I have, I think, two probably short points of order, one from the Minister of Labour and the other from the Hon. Member for Churchill. 1 also have a question of privilege from the Hon. Member for Ottawa Centre.

Subtopic:   MINISTER'S POSITION

POINTS OF ORDER

Pierre H. Cadieux (Minister of Labour)

Hon. Pierre H. Cadieux (Minister of Labour):

Mr. Speaker, in view of the fact that my colleague, the Hon. Member for Winnipeg-Birds Hill (Mr. Blaikie), had personal experience with respect to the Winnipeg boxcar, I had the officials, during Question Period, check the information again. It appears that I have been misled on the existence of the fence. Most important, with respect to the situation of the car itself, it is being inspected and it is safe, but with respect to the existence of the fence I have been misled and I am going to ask officials of Environment Canada to explain why I have been misled.

Subtopic:   POINTS OF ORDER
Sub-subtopic:   CLARIFICATION OF REPLY IN QUESTION PERIOD

Some Hon. Members:

Hear, hear!

August 29, 1988

Point of Order-Mr. Murphy Mr. Murphy: At least that Minister is not fenced in. WITHDRAWAL OF COMMENT

Subtopic:   POINTS OF ORDER
Sub-subtopic:   CLARIFICATION OF REPLY IN QUESTION PERIOD
NDP

Rodney Edward Murphy (Whip of the N.D.P.)

New Democratic Party

Mr. Rod Murphy (Churchill):

Mr. Speaker, I rise on a point of order to withdraw a word I used in Statements earlier today with respect to the Minister for Grains and Oilseeds (Mr. Mayer). I said he was acting in a manner which was treason to Manitoba. I certainly withdraw that word.

Subtopic:   POINTS OF ORDER