December 3, 1987

ROUTINE PROCEEDINGS

CHILD CARE

Arthur Jacob (Jake) Epp (Minister of National Health and Welfare)

Hon. Jake Epp (Minister of National Health and Welfare):

Mr. Speaker, pursuant to the provisions of Standing Order 67(2) and Standing Order 99(2), I wish to table in both official languages the comprehensive response to the recommendations of the report of the Special Committee on Child Care entitled Sharing the Responsibility.

May I take this opportunity to thank you personally for the manner in which you handled this issue. I know that it was a new one in respect of the rules and I want to thank you for the care that you took on this issue.

Topic:   ROUTINE PROCEEDINGS
Subtopic:   CHILD CARE
Sub-subtopic:   TABLING OF GOVERNMENT RESPONSE TO REPORT OF SPECIAL COMMITTEE

PETITIONS

Frederick James (Jim) Hawkes (Parliamentary Secretary to the President of the Privy Council)

Mr. Jim Hawkes (Parliamentary Secretary to Deputy Prime Minister and President of the Treasury Board):

Mr. Speaker, pursuant to Standing Order 106(8), I have the honour to table, in both official languages, the Government's response to petitions Nos. 332-3265, 332-3281, 332-3282, 3323316, 332-3339 and 332-3357.

[DOT] (mo)

Topic:   ROUTINE PROCEEDINGS
Subtopic:   PETITIONS
Sub-subtopic:   GOVERNMENT RESPONSE

STRIKING COMMITTEE

PRESENTATION OF FORTY-FIFTH REPORT OF STANDING COMMITTEE

Thomas Scott Fennell (Chief Government Whip; Whip of the Progressive Conservative Party)

Mr. Scott Fennell (Ontario):

Mr. Speaker, I have the honour to present the forty-fifth report of the Striking Committee.

Mr. Speaker, if the House agrees I intend to move concurrence in the forty-fifth report later this day.

[Editor's Note: For text of above report, see today's Votes and Proceedings.]

Topic:   STRIKING COMMITTEE
Subtopic:   PRESENTATION OF FORTY-FIFTH REPORT OF STANDING COMMITTEE

CONCURRENCE IN FORTY-FIFTH REPORT OF STANDING COMMITTEE

Mr. Scott Fennell (Ontario):

Mr. Speaker, I move that the forty-fifth report of the Striking Committee, presented to the House earlier this day, be concurred in.

Topic:   CONCURRENCE IN FORTY-FIFTH REPORT OF STANDING COMMITTEE

Motion agreed to.

PETITIONS

Thomas Suluk

Mr. Thomas Suluk (Nunatsiaq):

Mr. Speaker, I have the honour to present a petition signed by some 83 residents of the Arctic Coast communities of Sachs Harbour, Holman Island, Coppermine, Cambridge Bay, Gjoa Haven, Spence Bay, and Pelly Bay. They are petitioning the House concerning the high cost of freight and the high cost of living. They wish the House to consider a way in which the high cost of living and the high cost of freight can be dealt with and rectified.

Topic:   CONCURRENCE IN FORTY-FIFTH REPORT OF STANDING COMMITTEE
Subtopic:   PETITIONS
Sub-subtopic:   HIGH COST OF LIVING IN ARCTIC COAST COMMUNITIES

Jean-Robert Gauthier (Chief Opposition Whip; Whip of the Liberal Party)

Mr. Gauthier:

Mr. Speaker, I rise on a point of order. A few minutes ago the Minister of National Health and Welfare (Mr. Epp) tabled a document. I believe it is the response of the Government to the committee report on day care. I have asked for a copy of the document from the Table Officers. I am told that it is not available. Could we be assured that that document will be made available to us in the near future, that is, within the next few minutes?

December 3, 1987

Order Paper Questions

Topic:   CONCURRENCE IN FORTY-FIFTH REPORT OF STANDING COMMITTEE
Subtopic:   PETITIONS
Sub-subtopic:   HIGH COST OF LIVING IN ARCTIC COAST COMMUNITIES

John Allen Fraser (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

The Hon. Member for Ottawa-Vanier (Mr. Gauthier) has raised a matter which, of course, is important. I assure the Hon. Member that I will immediately do everything I can so that the Hon. Member has the report, I hope within minutes.

Topic:   CONCURRENCE IN FORTY-FIFTH REPORT OF STANDING COMMITTEE
Subtopic:   PETITIONS
Sub-subtopic:   HIGH COST OF LIVING IN ARCTIC COAST COMMUNITIES

Mr. Jim Hawkes (Parliamentary Secretary to Deputy Prime Minister and President of the Privy Council):

Mr. Speaker, if Question No. 175 could be made an Order for Return, the return would be tabled immediately.

Topic:   CONCURRENCE IN FORTY-FIFTH REPORT OF STANDING COMMITTEE
Subtopic:   PETITIONS
Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION PASSED AS ORDER FOR RETURN

John Allen Fraser (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Is it the pleasure of the House that Question No. 175 be deemed to have been made an Order for Return?

Topic:   CONCURRENCE IN FORTY-FIFTH REPORT OF STANDING COMMITTEE