July 22, 1980

T.A. Bud Bradley

Mr. Bud Bradley (Haldimand-Norfolk):

Madam Speaker, my question is also for the Minister of National Health and Welfare. In light of the fact that the latest New Horizons grants involved some 20,000 participants and are in excess of $1 million, is the minister prepared to involve members of this House in the New Horizons program in a meaningful way by affording us the opportunity of personally congratulating the recipients and presenting the cheques?

Topic:   ORAL QUESTION PERIOD
Subtopic:   REQUEST OPPORTUNITY BE AFFORDED MEMBERS TO PRESENT CHEQUES TO GRANT RECIPIENTS

Monique Bégin (Minister of National Health and Welfare)

Hon. Monique Begin (Minister of National Health and Welfare):

Madam Speaker, it is always moving to see a new member discover the mysteries of life. If he uses this gadget, I could recommend that he listen to the interpretation. He would then have understood that 1 have just said that during my first mandate, as well as this one, and if 1 am not mistaken during the five years under my predecessor, at which time the New Horizons program was set up, all members of all parties have received an official notice of each project, by letter, advising them of it. That is very clear. It has always been done. That will always be done. So, will he be kind enough to tell us what new proposal he intends to make? I must admit that in committee I added, about a month ago, that hon. members

July 22, 1980

who are interested in going one step further and in presenting a cheque, provided they do not forget it in the basket on their desk in the House of Commons, are most welcome.

T.A. Bud Bradley

Mr. Bradley:

Madam Speaker, I have one of the releases and it is very pretty. I feel that possibly-

An hon. Member:

You cannot even read the question.

T.A. Bud Bradley

Mr. Bradley:

I am sure the minister is not intentionally doing so, but either she is misleading the House or the standing committee.

An hon. Member:

Welcome to the House.

T.A. Bud Bradley

Mr. Bradley:

In committee three weeks ago she said this:

So can we conclude that you will all meet your New Horizons groups and give the cheques yourselves; then I will not have the problem.

And later she said:

But do not lose the cheques, because you will be in trouble.

I viewed this as an ironclad commitment of the minister.

Some hon. Members:

Oh, oh!

Topic:   ORAL QUESTION PERIOD

Jeanne Sauvé (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Madam Speaker:

Order, please. Would the hon. member ask his question.

Topic:   ORAL QUESTION PERIOD

Walter David Baker (Official Opposition House Leader; Progressive Conservative Party House Leader)

Mr. Baker (Nepean-Carleton):

He is coming to it.

T.A. Bud Bradley

Mr. Bradley:

I was just getting to it, Madam Speaker. I was wondering if the minister could get up off her apathy and tell us whether or not she intends to carry out the commitment she made in committee.

An hon. Member:

She just answered that.

[Translation] -

Topic:   ORAL QUESTION PERIOD

Monique Bégin (Minister of National Health and Welfare)

Miss Begin:

Luckily, since my knowledge of English is rather limited, 1 did not understand the expression which, if 1 understand correctly, 1 had better not know anything about. [English]

1 should like to repeat to the hon. member that he started his quotation dishonestly a line too far.

Topic:   ORAL QUESTION PERIOD

Charles Joseph Clark (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Clark:

Dishonestly?

Topic:   ORAL QUESTION PERIOD

Monique Bégin (Minister of National Health and Welfare)

Miss Begin:

He should have given the context. We were discussing the federal presence in the programs of the Government of Canada for the people of Canada. I said and will repeat that if members knew their New Horizons constituents and the groups in their ridings, we would not have the problem of having to remind them that they exist. We are close to the people and we are not ashamed of saying it.

Oral Questions

NDP

Lorne Edmund Nystrom (Whip of the N.D.P.)

New Democratic Party

Mr. Lome Nystrom (Yorkton-Melville):

Madam Speaker, I shall put my question to the Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources. In view of the importance of natural gas for Canada's future, does the federal government intend, in cooperation with the governments of Quebec and Ontario, to purchase now natural gas from Alberta in order to set up a reserve or bank and keep it for Canada's future, as the government of Mr. Tommy Douglas did in Saskatchewan several years ago?

Topic:   ORAL QUESTION PERIOD
Subtopic:   REQUESTED ESTABLISHMENT OF NATURAL GAS RESERVE IN CO-OPERATION WITH QUEBEC AND ONTARIO

Marc Lalonde (Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources)

Hon. Marc Lalonde (Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources):

Madam Speaker, 1 should like to remind my friend of the NDP that the government of Saskatchewan is now selling, if I am not mistaken, about 21 million barrels of heavy oil to the United States every year. So the idea of exports is not new. As to the suggestion of the hon. member, I must tell him that we are now reviewing our whole energy policy.

1 hope that when the oil pricing discussions are over, we shall be in a position to announce a whole series of measures which should make Canada self-sufficient in energy and ensure the Canadian people a much more secure supply of oil products in the future, which includes natural gas. So I must tell my friend he will have to wait for the official announcement of our policy to draw a conclusion of the specific question he asked about natural gas.

INQUIRY WHETHER PRICE OF NATURAL GAS WILL BE MAINTAINED AT ACCEPTABLE LEVEL

NDP

Lorne Edmund Nystrom (Whip of the N.D.P.)

New Democratic Party

Mr. Lome Nystrom (Yorkton-Melville):

Madam Speaker, my supplementary is for the Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources. He did not reply to my first question, but I shall ask him another one. Because of the decision of the federal government to export natural gas, this energy source will be more expensive for future generations. I would therefore ask the minister if the government will undertake to maintain in the future the price of natural gas at a reasonable level for the consumers and small businesses of Canada.

Topic:   ORAL QUESTION PERIOD
Subtopic:   INQUIRY WHETHER PRICE OF NATURAL GAS WILL BE MAINTAINED AT ACCEPTABLE LEVEL

July 22, 1980