July 9, 1980

Some hon. Members:

On division.

Clause 23 agreed to.

Clauses 24 to 48 inclusive agreed to.

On Clause 49-Regulations.

Topic:   GOVERNMENT ORDERS
Subtopic:   STATUTE LAW (MILITARY AND CIVILIAN WAR PENSIONS, COMPENSATION AND ALLOWANCES) AMENDMENT ACT, 1980 MEASURE RESPECTING PENSIONS OF VETERANS
NDP

Stanley Howard Knowles (N.D.P. House Leader)

New Democratic Party

Mr. Knowles:

Mr. Chairman, the printed draft copy of the bill I have has written in it "49-see clause 45". There is nothing in my copy to indicate what clause 49 actually says. May I ask whether it is the same as clause 45? After all, if wc are passing something it should be before us in written form. I had to write out my amendments. What is clause 45?

An hon. Member:

It is the same as clause 49.

NDP

Stanley Howard Knowles (N.D.P. House Leader)

New Democratic Party

Mr. Knowles:

Mr. Chairman, may I ask whether the copy you have at the table has anything in it for clause 49? Obviously the copy I have is incomplete. Has anybody a copy that has anything other than just "see clause 45"?

Topic:   GOVERNMENT ORDERS

Cyril Lloyd Francis (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

The Chairman:

In response to the hon. member for Winnipeg North Centre, the copy before me has clause 49 which reads as follows:

Regulations or amendments thereto made pursuant to the said act that are directly related to the application of the said act, as amended by this act, may be made applicable on or after July I, 1980.

Does that answer the hon. member's question?

NDP

Stanley Howard Knowles (N.D.P. House Leader)

New Democratic Party

Mr. Knowles:

It does, Mr. Chairman. I am glad to know it is there. Some members have sent me copies of the bill which have clause 49. The copy I have, which was given to me this morning-I still have it and can show it to you to indicate that I was not fooling-has no clause 49 in it. If the copy you have and that you initial has in it the words you have read, 1 am satisfied.

Topic:   GOVERNMENT ORDERS

Daniel Joseph MacDonald (Minister of Veterans Affairs)

Mr. MacDonald:

I just want to say, Mr. Chairman, that this is an amended copy. The previous one to which the hon. member was referring does not have that clause, but it is in this copy; you have read it and I hope that clarifies the matter.

The Chairman:

The copy in the hands of the chairman of committees is as indicated and I propose to initial it if it is adopted in this form. Shall clause 49 carry?

Some hon. Members:

Carried.

Topic:   GOVERNMENT ORDERS

Clause agreed to. Clause I agreed to.

The Chairman:

Shall the title carry?

July 9, 1980

NDP

Leslie Gordon Benjamin

New Democratic Party

Mr. Benjamin:

Mr. Chairman, before we complete committee stage I am wondering whether the minister will reply to my query in respect of clause 2 regarding what consideration or action the government is prepared to take to provide recognition of and entitlement to the veterans of the Mackenzie-Papineau battalion in the Spanish civil war?

Topic:   GOVERNMENT ORDERS

Daniel Joseph MacDonald (Minister of Veterans Affairs)

Mr. MacDonald:

Mr. Chairman, I planned to make some reference in this regard but I see that time is moving on. The hon. member may not know but this is under consideration by the department. I have no answer for him today other than to say that it is under consideration.

NDP

Leslie Gordon Benjamin

New Democratic Party

Mr. Benjamin:

Are you in favour of it?

The Chairman:

Shall the title carry?

Some hon. Members:

Carried.

Title agreed to.

The Chairman:

Shall 1 rise and report the bill?

Topic:   GOVERNMENT ORDERS

David Michael Collenette (Parliamentary Secretary to the President of the Privy Council)

Mr. Collenette:

On a point of order, Mr. Chairman. I may have missed this, but is there not on page 32 a schedule that has to be carried?

Topic:   GOVERNMENT ORDERS

Walter David Baker (Official Opposition House Leader; Progressive Conservative Party House Leader)

Mr. Baker (Nepean-Carleton):

That is part of a section.

July 9, 1980