October 19, 1976

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

Mr. Speaker, I will be glad to answer questions, particularly from those who are not dry behind the ears.

I am delighted the hon. member for Kamloops-Cariboo (Mr. Marchand) was made a minister. I have thought of him as a friend during these years. He was given the small business portfolio. If he had been given the Indian Affairs portfolio I could well have understood it; but, strangely, he was given the small business portfolio, he not knowing anything about small business. His first trip, I am told, is to be to the U.S.S.R. If he follows what they have done to small business he will be without a portfolio before he gets back.

Some hon. Members:

Hear, hear!

Some hon. Members:

Oh, oh!

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

Mr. Speaker, it is wonderful to see the way the Liberal front benches disappear when I speak. I regard that as a tribute at all times.

October 19, 1976

With regard to the hon. member for Skeena (Mrs. Campag-nolo), I think I outdid the Prime Minister. About five weeks ago, as a parliamentary secretary, she spoke at Duck Lake on the one hundredth anniversary of the Indian Treaty. I predicted it would not be long before she would be a minister of the government. I am glad the Prime Minister took advantage of my recommendation, if he did. She is working under the Minister of National Health and Welfare (Mr. Lalonde). I would have dealt with him had he been here, but he is absent.

As far as fitness and amateur sport are concerned, it was a government that I had the honour to lead which brought in the first legislation-$5 million a year-to encourage amateur sport. When the Pearson government came in, it was not long before that was out.

Some hon. Members:

Shame.

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

I was not going to go across the whole field, but I want to say one thing about the Minister of Consumer and Corporate Affairs (Mr. Abbott). His father and I came into the House of Commons at the same time. I always looked forward with expectation to the son following in the footsteps of his father. If he does, there will be no secrecy in that department because that is one thing his father did not permit while he held several portfolios in the government of Mackenzie King.

Then, there is the Secretary of State (Mr. Roberts). I have for him especially kind feelings. He has shown himself well in the House. Of the Postmaster General (Mr. Blais), all I have to say is that at the rate he is going, it will not be long before Mackasey will be in again.

Some hon. Members:

Hear, hear!

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

The Solicitor General (Mr. Fox), a young man whom I am sure will devote himself well to the problems he has, certainly inherits a position that requires on his part a great deal of effort to bring about responsible leadership in that department.

Having generalized in that way, I come to parliament because I never cease to wonder at this place. We saw an example today in the recognition given to the hon. member for Malpeque (Mr. MacLean). I am very pleased to learn that television is going to be introduced-they do not say when, but they say it will be-because I had the honour of bringing that about in 1957 insofar as the opening proceedings of parliament were concerned. It was criticized at the time, but it has been followed ever since. Television in the House of Commons will increase the quality as well as the quantity of members in this place.

There is something to which I particularly want to refer. I see the hon. member for Winnipeg North Centre (Mr. Knowles). I am going to speak of him. We are approaching the Queen's twenty-fifth anniversary. We are getting ready for it.

I think of members in this House who have given tremendous service but have never sat in the Treasury benches. In the

October 19, 1976

United Kingdom, those who have become parliamentarians in their own right are honoured from time by being made members of Her Majesty's Imperial Privy Council, as it used to be called. I think that should be followed on this, the anniversary of Her Majesty.

I would like to see the hon. member for Nanaimo-Cowi-chan-The Islands (Mr. Douglas) made a member of Her Majesty's Privy Council in Canada. He would have been if he had remained premier of the province. All the premiers received it, and he was premier for years. He is a parliamentarian who has always given of his best with distinction.

Some hon. Members:

Hear, hear!

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

The leader of the Creditistes, the hon. member for Temiscamingue (Mr. Caouette), has been in the House for years. Today, he is in hospital with a serious illness. I would like to see him honoured in this way because at the moment there is little or no hope of either a member of the NDP or the Creditistes being seated on the Treasury benches. I know the hon. member for Winnipeg North Centre is listening, even though he is pretending not to be-

Some hon. Members:

Hear, hear!

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

I think of the devotion he has given through the years to parliament. Sometimes he is difficult. Sometimes he leads us along a rather unusual course. He is a parliamentarian who has been here for a long while. He first came here in 1942. He had a little break in 1958, but he came back thereafter. That was his sabbatical of four years. I would like to see him honoured.

No doubt there are others in the House who deserve to be honoured likewise. In addition, in the United Kingdom when a person becomes leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, it is not long before the honour is given. It should not be long in the case of the hon. member who today leads the opposition.

Some hon. Members:

Hear, hear!

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

As far as the debate is concerned, I am not going to express appreciation to the mover and seconder. It is a course I have followed through the years. That was done by my leader and what he said in that regard is acceptable.

Some hon. Members:

Hear, hear!

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

Nothing could be more acceptable than appreciation. I have read the various speeches. I have not been able to be here. I need not say the reason. However, I endeavour at all times to be present, in particular when a speaker is making his or her maiden speech. I like to see young members come into the House. I was away on in years when I finally won. As long as parliament is able to mobilize outstanding young men and women in devotion to those things that will make Canada even greater, I will always honour constituencies that send them here. So much for preliminary remarks. I do not expect there will be much disagreement. The

The Address-Mr. Diefenbaker minister himself is in the House, and I may say he is a politician for whom I have much admiration.

What about the Speech from the Throne? Well, it was a presidential one. In the United States they call it a State of the Nation Address. Mr. Speaker, in every part of this nation today people are asking: Why doesn't parliament do something? Is parliament simply a place in which the Prime Minister utters grandiloquent expressions which die as soon as they effectuate the result for which he hopes? Take the phrase "the just society". Do you hear it any more? Or "the land is strong". It must have been!

Some hon. Members:

Oh, oh!

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

"Participatory democracy". With whom? "Co-operative federalism". Now, there's an expression.

Sub-subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

Walter David Baker (Official Opposition House Leader; Progressive Conservative Party House Leader)

Mr. Baker (Grenville-Carleton):

Gone. All gone.

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

What does it amount to? "If you don't agree to my bringing the constitution to Canada, 1 threaten you I will bring it back unilaterally." That is what the Prime Minister said one day. And a few days later he said he didn't say it. But I heard him. Here is another. "The opportunity decade". That's a pretty good one. Well, he will have to do it in two years and that will be the shortest decade in all history.

October 19, 1976