July 5, 1972

DECISION OF BRITISH COLUMBIA COURT OF APPEAL

JEOPARDIZING MAINTENANCE PAYMENTS ARISING FROM DIVORCE SUITS-GOVERNMENT ACTION

Robert Lorne Stanfield (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Hon. Robert L. Stanfield (Leader of the Opposition):

Mr. Speaker, may I address a question to the Minister of Justice with respect to the decision of the Court of Appeal of British Columbia about which I have questioned him twice. He said previously that he had not had time to complete his deliberations and examination of the decision. Recognizing that the Minister of Justice must walk deliberately, may I ask him whether he has had an opportunity to complete his assessment of that decision and what measures he proposes to introduce, if any, in light of it?

Topic:   DECISION OF BRITISH COLUMBIA COURT OF APPEAL
Subtopic:   JEOPARDIZING MAINTENANCE PAYMENTS ARISING FROM DIVORCE SUITS-GOVERNMENT ACTION

Otto Emil Lang (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada; Minister responsible for the Canadian Wheat Board)

Hon. Otto E. Lang (Minister of Justice):

Mr. Speaker, I am examining the decision carefully but I have not yet completed that task. I will walk deliberately, as the hon. gentleman recommends.

Topic:   DECISION OF BRITISH COLUMBIA COURT OF APPEAL

Robert Lorne Stanfield (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Stanfield:

In the meantime some people could practically starve to death.

Topic:   DECISION OF BRITISH COLUMBIA COURT OF APPEAL

AIRPORTS

ANNOUNCEMENT OF IMPROVEMENTS IN RIDINGS OF OPPOSITION MEMBERS

Gordon Harvey Aiken

Mr. G. H. Aiken (Parry Sound-Muskoka):

Mr. Speaker, may I direct a question to the Minister of Transport. It arises from the considerable number of press releases being made for the minister by Liberal members in connection with airport improvements. Who is making the announcements in connection with improvements in the ridings of opposition members?

Topic:   AIRPORTS
Subtopic:   ANNOUNCEMENT OF IMPROVEMENTS IN RIDINGS OF OPPOSITION MEMBERS

Donald Campbell Jamieson (Minister of Transport)

Hon. Donald C. Jamieson (Minister of Transport):

Mr. Speaker, so far as I am aware I have advised all members of the House, regardless of party, when I have had representations from them. If there has been any change in that, I will be glad to hear about it.

Topic:   AIRPORTS
Subtopic:   ANNOUNCEMENT OF IMPROVEMENTS IN RIDINGS OF OPPOSITION MEMBERS

Gordon Harvey Aiken

Mr. Aiken:

Is the minister authorizing these press releases only in connection with members of the Liberal party through his own department?

Topic:   AIRPORTS
Subtopic:   ANNOUNCEMENT OF IMPROVEMENTS IN RIDINGS OF OPPOSITION MEMBERS

Donald Campbell Jamieson (Minister of Transport)

Mr. Jamieson:

No, certainly not, and I think the evidence of that is that a good many of these airports are being built in regions other than those represented by members on the government side of the House.

Topic:   AIRPORTS
Subtopic:   ANNOUNCEMENT OF IMPROVEMENTS IN RIDINGS OF OPPOSITION MEMBERS

MOUNT HOPE, ONT.-PUBLICATION OF DETAILED EXPANSION PLANS

Lincoln MacCauley Alexander

Mr. Lincoln M. Alexander (Hamilton West):

I have a supplementary question, Mr. Speaker. Can the minister advise us whether any members of the government have made any announcements with respect to the detailed plans for the Mount Hope airport expansion, which is certainly long overdue? If so, will they be made public?

Topic:   MOUNT HOPE, ONT.-PUBLICATION OF DETAILED EXPANSION PLANS

Donald Campbell Jamieson (Minister of Transport)

Hon. Donald C. Jamieson (Minister of Transport):

Mr. Speaker, yes, they will be made public. I believe I answered the hon. member a couple of weeks ago, indicating that a number of alternatives were being submitted. I have received those now. It is my intention to convey them, as I indicated to him at that time, to the various authorities in the Hamilton region with a view to getting their reaction to the alternatives.

Topic:   MOUNT HOPE, ONT.-PUBLICATION OF DETAILED EXPANSION PLANS

Lincoln MacCauley Alexander

Mr. Alexander:

As we were told a month ago that there would be an announcement within three days, can the minister tell us when he will give some indication as to what these detailed plans are?

Topic:   MOUNT HOPE, ONT.-PUBLICATION OF DETAILED EXPANSION PLANS

Donald Campbell Jamieson (Minister of Transport)

Mr. Jamieson:

Mr. Speaker, if there were enough hours in the day I would be glad to say Friday but it may be Monday or Tuesday; I am not sure. As soon as I have time I will look over them myself and find out who the appropriate authorities are to whom they should be sent.

' EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

Topic:   MOUNT HOPE, ONT.-PUBLICATION OF DETAILED EXPANSION PLANS

NUCLEAR TESTS BY FRANCE-NUMBER PLANNED-RESPONSE TO CANADIAN REPRESENTATIONS

NDP

Barry Mather

New Democratic Party

Mr. Barry Mather (Surrey-White Rock):

Mr. Speaker, I wish to direct a question to the Secretary of State for External Affairs. Having in mind today's press reports indicating that there have been two French nuclear tests in the Pacific up to this time and that a further test is forecast, may I ask whether the government has information as to how many of these tests are planned, and what response the French government has made to the Canadian government's representations opposing the tests?

Topic:   NUCLEAR TESTS BY FRANCE-NUMBER PLANNED-RESPONSE TO CANADIAN REPRESENTATIONS

Mitchell William Sharp (Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Hon. Mitchell Sharp (Secretary of State for External Affairs):

Mr. Speaker, unofficially we have reason to believe that there have been two tests. The French government refuses to confirm or deny this fact, but it seems to be common knowledge. I understand that they intend to continue the tests. They have received our representations but the only indication we have is that the French government intends to carry out its program of tests.

July 5, 1972

NDP

Barry Mather

New Democratic Party

Mr. Mather:

Is it the government's intention to add to its former protests in opposition to these dangerous tests?

July 5, 1972