Hon. Jean Chretien (Minister oi Indian Affairs and Northern Development):
1. (a) On Indian reserves the social assistance program is the responsibility of the federal government; (b) and (c) Disability pensions and needy mothers' allowances are the responsibility of provincial governments; (d) Unemployed Indians on reserves not eligible for unemployment insurance are the responsibility of the federal government.
2. (a) 100 per cent, except in Ontario where in accordance with a federal/provincial Indian welfare agreement, the federal government contributes approximately 95 per cent; (b) and (c) 50 per cent, (d) Same as 2 (a) above.
3. Each program has its own specific eligibility conditions which are applicable to all recipients (non-Indian or Indian).
4. (a) An Application for Social Assistance and whatever other documentary evidence the Social Assistance administration may require, having regard to the circumstances of the case, (b) and (c) Not applicable.
5. (a) Federal government; (b) and (c) Not applicable.
Mr. RAYMOND DENIS
Subtopic: ALLOWANCES ON INDIAN RESERVES