May 4, 1972

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

In that letter, he suggested that a commissioner be appointed under the Inquiries Act, "to inquire into and to report upon the question" as to whether such a second airport is now needed. Has he received such a request and what action, if any, is going to be taken thereon?

Topic:   AIRPORTS
Subtopic:   PICKERING TOWNSHIP SITE-SUGGESTED APPOINTMENT OF COMMISSION OF INQUIRY-GOVERNMENT ACTION

Donald Campbell Jamieson (Minister of Transport)

Hon. Donald C. Jamieson (Minister of Transport):

Yes, Mr. Speaker, I received the request and it is presently being considered.

Topic:   AIRPORTS
IND

Lucien Lamoureux (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Independent

Mr. Speaker:

Order, please. The right hon. member for Prince Albert on a supplementary.

Topic:   AIRPORTS

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

Mr. Speaker, I like this.

Topic:   AIRPORTS

Some hon. Members:

Oh, oh!

Topic:   AIRPORTS

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

The louder they howl, Mr. Speaker, the more you realize they are here only for a short time.

Topic:   AIRPORTS

Some hon. Members:

Hear, hear!

Topic:   AIRPORTS

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

I come back to the second part of the question. The minister is usually very facile and very truthful in his answers. Is any action going to be taken thereon, or is it going to be considered?

May 4, 1972

Inquiries of the Ministry

Topic:   AIRPORTS

Donald Campbell Jamieson (Minister of Transport)

Mr. Jamieson:

Mr. Speaker, the only answer I can give to the right hon. gentleman who is well known for longevity in more ways than one, including the length of his questions-I had a job getting the kernel out of this one-

Topic:   AIRPORTS

J.-H.-Théogène Ricard

Mr. Ricard:

Was it sweet?

Topic:   AIRPORTS

Donald Campbell Jamieson (Minister of Transport)

Mr. Jamieson:

I can only report that I received the letter yesterday or the day before, certainly early this week or late last week, and I have not had an opportunity to look at it in detail but I will be discussing it with my officials. I can assure the right hon. gentleman of one thing, namely, that there will be a reply to the letter.

Topic:   AIRPORTS

HOUSING

SC

Léonel Beaudoin

Social Credit

Mr. Leonel Beaudoin (Richmond):

Mr. Speaker, may I

ask a question of the Minister of State for Urban Affairs?

In view of recent news reports, would the hon. minister confirm or deny that his department is presently discussing with the provinces the matter of amending the building regulations administered by Central Mortgage and Housing Corporation in order to reduce interest rates and enable more low income families to buy houses?

Topic:   HOUSING
Subtopic:   MODIFICATION OF CMHC BUILDING STANDARDS- DISCUSSION WITH PROVINCES-AVAILABILITY OF HOUSING TO LOW-INCOME FAMILIES

Stanley Ronald Basford (Minister of State for Urban Affairs)

Hon. Ron Basiord (Minister of State for Urban Affairs):

Mr. Speaker, as I have confirmed in the House, there are discussions going on with the provinces which I expect will lead to amendments to the National Housing Act designed to assist low-income people to buy houses.

Topic:   HOUSING

Eugene Whelan

Mr. E. F. Whelan (Essex):

Mr. Speaker, I wish to ask a supplementary to a previous question. Because of the urgency of the matter I would like to ask the President of the Privy Council if he would consider recommending to the House that the proper committee hear the union officials and company officials who are involved in the DISC program?

Topic:   UNITED STATES DISC PROGRAM-SUGGESTED APPEARANCE BEFORE COMMITTEE OF UNION AND COMPANY OFFICIALS INVOLVED

Allan Joseph MacEachen (President of the Privy Council; Leader of the Government in the House of Commons; Liberal Party House Leader)

Hon. Allan J. MacEachen (President of the Privy Council):

Mr. Speaker, I will be glad to consider the suggestion and discuss it with my colleague, the Minister of Industry, Trade and Commerce.

TRANSPORT

NEWFOUNDLAND FERRY SERVICE-INQUIRY AS TO REPLACEMENT VESSEL FOR THE "PATRICK MORRIS"

May 4, 1972