April 19, 1972

NDP

Stanley Howard Knowles (N.D.P. House Leader; Whip of the N.D.P.)

New Democratic Party

Mr. Stanley Knowles (Winnipeg North Centre):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to ask the Minister of National Health and Welfare whether the reciprocal agreement between Canada and the Federal Republic of Germany, respecting the payment of pensions, has been ratified by West Germany, and can he say at what date the payment of pensions to thousands of Canadian citizens of German origin will be put into effect?

Topic:   PENSIONS
Subtopic:   RATIFICATION BY WEST GERMANY OF RECIPROCAL
Sub-subtopic:   AGREEMENT WITH CANADA-DATE FOR PAYMENT TO CANADIANS OF GERMAN ORIGIN

John Carr Munro (Minister of Amateur Sport; Minister of National Health and Welfare)

Hon. John C. Munro (Minister of National Health and Welfare):

Mr. Speaker, I cannot say what date it will be in effect but I will check and get the information back to the hon. member very soon. I believe ratification by the German parliament is very imminent, indeed. I have forgotten precisely what is the projected date, but it is very soon.

Topic:   PENSIONS
Subtopic:   RATIFICATION BY WEST GERMANY OF RECIPROCAL
IND

Lucien Lamoureux (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Independent

Mr. Speaker:

Order, please. I will have to seek the cooperation of hon. members at this point. There is not

Inquiries of the Ministry

much more than five minutes remaining before the end of the question period and we might try to limit the number of supplementary questions. The hon. member for Annapolis Valley. Order, please. I did not notice the hon. member for Winnipeg North Centre stand to ask a supplementary question. I will allow him to ask it now and return immediately to the hon. member for Annapolis Valley.

Topic:   PENSIONS
Subtopic:   RATIFICATION BY WEST GERMANY OF RECIPROCAL
NDP

Stanley Howard Knowles (N.D.P. House Leader; Whip of the N.D.P.)

New Democratic Party

Mr. Knowles (Winnipeg North Centre):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to ask the minister whether he will check to ascertain if this agreement has not in fact been ratified, and will he make a statement on this matter in the House, perhaps tomorrow?

Topic:   PENSIONS
Subtopic:   RATIFICATION BY WEST GERMANY OF RECIPROCAL

Mr. Munro:

I will be glad to consider that, Mr. Speaker.

Topic:   PENSIONS
Subtopic:   RATIFICATION BY WEST GERMANY OF RECIPROCAL

BROADCASTING

John Patrick (Pat) Nowlan

Mr. J. P. Nowlan (Annapolis Valley):

Mr. Speaker, I have a question for the Secretary of State. In view of the remarks of the Ontario Minister of Communications in that legislature yesterday expressing his opinion in respect of cablevision, and in view also of the opinions of the Quebec and Alberta legislatures in this regard, does the federal minister intend to call together the various ministers of education to sort out these conflicting claims of jurisdiction in the cable field so we will not have chaos in the regulation of cablevision?

Topic:   BROADCASTING
Subtopic:   CABLEVISION-SUGGESTED MEETING WITH PROVINCIAL MINISTERS OF EDUCATION TO DISCUSS JURISDICTION

Gérard Pelletier (Secretary of State of Canada)

Hon. Gerard Pelletier (Secretary of State):

Mr. Speaker, we have already made some attempts in that connection and the hon. member is aware of that.

I have not seen the actual statement made by the Ontario minister yesterday afternoon, but I know-as does the hon. member-that the position of the federal government is quite clearly established at the moment, that we have also stated on several occasions that we were ready to discuss the matter with the provincial authorities when they wished to do so.

I must add that the minister quoted by the hon. member has never approached my department to undertake such discussions.

Topic:   BROADCASTING

John Patrick (Pat) Nowlan

Mr. Nowlan:

Mr. Speaker, I should like to ask a short supplementary question. I appreciate the minister's answer to a point, that he is disposed to discuss this matter, but does he intend to take any initiative regarding a joint discussion with all the ministers across the country, or is this going to be done piecemeal with each minister having to come to Ottawa to discuss the subject individually?

Topic:   BROADCASTING

Gérard Pelletier (Secretary of State of Canada)

Mr. Pelletier:

Mr. Speaker, the hon. member has surely missed the first part of my answer where I said that on the initiative of the federal government, all the provinces were visited last year and that I got in touch with all the

April 19, 1972

Inquiries of the Ministry

provincial ministers responsible for communications. On the other hand, nothing has yet been done in the other direction.

Topic:   BROADCASTING

THE CANADIAN ECONOMY

Martial Asselin

Hon. Martial Asselin (Charlevoix):

Mr. Speaker, may I direct a question to the Prime Minister?

Recently, the Minister of Finance of Quebec, Mr. Gar-neau stated in Toronto that the government of Quebec would object to any federal policy to limit foreign investment. Can the Prime Minister of Canada tell the House whether he intends to discuss this matter with the government of the Province of Quebec before announcing its policy on foreign investment?

Topic:   THE CANADIAN ECONOMY
Subtopic:   FOREIGN INVESTMENT-GOVERNMENT POLICY-STATEMENT OF QUEBEC FINANCE MINISTER-DISCUSSION WITH PROVINCIAL AUTHORITIES

Pierre Elliott Trudeau (Prime Minister)

Right Hon. P. E. Trudeau (Prime Minister):

I should say, Mr. Speaker, that at the last federal-provincial conference last fall the provincial premiers and myself dealt with the issue of foreign investment and at that time I asked all premiers to indicate their views on that subject during the following months. I am happy to say that some premiers replied with specific suggestions, but I believe that most of them are in the position of the Conservative party, that is to say, they reserve the right to criticize government measures but have nothing to propose.

Topic:   THE CANADIAN ECONOMY

Martial Asselin

Mr. Asselin:

Mr. Speaker, on a supplementary, I suggest to the Prime Minister that the Conservative party is not in power and that, if it were, it would have made a decision long ago in this respect.

Topic:   THE CANADIAN ECONOMY
IND

Lucien Lamoureux (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Independent

Mr. Speaker:

Would the hon. member ask his

supplementary?

Topic:   THE CANADIAN ECONOMY

Martial Asselin

Mr. Asselin:

Mr. Speaker, my supplementary is as follows. As the statement of the Minister of Finance of Quebec seems to contradict the Prime Minister's allegations to the effect that he consulted with the provincial premiers, does the Prime Minister intend to obtain a statement from the premier of Quebec on this important matter?

Topic:   THE CANADIAN ECONOMY

Pierre Elliott Trudeau (Prime Minister)

Mr. Trudeau:

Mr. Speaker, I believe that the Quebec Minister of Finance was present when this discussion was held here, at the conference centre. But let's forget the past. When our policy concerning investment has been announced, we intend to consult with the various provinces regarding comments that they would care to make concerning legislative measures which might follow.

Topic:   THE CANADIAN ECONOMY

RIDEAU RIVER-ACTION TO REMOVE ICE AND MAINTAIN FREE WATER FLOW-SUGGESTED DYKING PROGRAM

April 19, 1972