September 21, 1971

SC

Léonel Beaudoin

Social Credit

Mr. Leonel Beaudoin (Richmond):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to put a question to the Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources.

Could he tell us whether officials of his department are discussing with his American counterpart the setting up of a pipeline in Alberta to develop the Prudhoe Bay oil-fields?

Hon. }. I. Greene (Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources): Mr. Speaker, there has been discussion for the last year or two in general vein, but there has not been any in the last few weeks.

Topic:   PROPOSED MACKENZIE VALLEY PIPELINE-DISCUSSION WITH UNITED STATES
IND

Lucien Lamoureux (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Independent

Mr. Speaker:

The hon. member for Brandon-Souris.

Topic:   PROPOSED MACKENZIE VALLEY PIPELINE-DISCUSSION WITH UNITED STATES

Erik Nielsen

Mr. Nielsen:

I have a supplementary question, Mr. Speaker.

Topic:   PROPOSED MACKENZIE VALLEY PIPELINE-DISCUSSION WITH UNITED STATES
IND

Lucien Lamoureux (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Independent

Mr. Speaker:

Order, please. The Chair has recognized the hon. member for Brandon-Souris. I will recognize the hon. member for Yukon immediately thereafter.

Topic:   PROPOSED MACKENZIE VALLEY PIPELINE-DISCUSSION WITH UNITED STATES

AIR CANADA

REQUEST FOR LOWER FARES, OTTAWA TO VANCOUVER

Walter Gilbert Dinsdale

Hon. W. G. Dinsdale (Brandon-Souris):

Mr. Speaker, my question is for the Minister of Transport. As a result of the failure of IATA to reach agreement on overseas air fares and the resulting "hanky-panky" which forced Air

Canada to reduce its trans-Atlantic fares to $186, is the government taking action against domestic "hanky-panky" which allows Air Canada to charge $280 for fares from Ottawa to Vancouver?

Topic:   AIR CANADA
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR LOWER FARES, OTTAWA TO VANCOUVER
IND

Lucien Lamoureux (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Independent

Mr. Speaker:

Order, please. The Chair will allow the minister to reply. However, I think hon. members should take care in placing questions before the House to make sure that, from the procedural aspect, they are in a form which makes it easy for the Chair to allow the questions to be asked and answers given.

Topic:   AIR CANADA
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR LOWER FARES, OTTAWA TO VANCOUVER

Donald Campbell Jamieson (Minister of Transport)

Hon. Donald C. Jamieson (Minister of Transport):

Mr. Speaker, may I say how much I appreciate that ruling. I would not wish to be known as the minister in charge of "hanky-panky".

Topic:   AIR CANADA
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR LOWER FARES, OTTAWA TO VANCOUVER

Gerald William Baldwin (Official Opposition House Leader; Progressive Conservative Party House Leader)

Mr. Baldwin:

That portfolio is already occupied.

Topic:   AIR CANADA
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR LOWER FARES, OTTAWA TO VANCOUVER

Some hon. Members:

Shame.

Topic:   AIR CANADA
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR LOWER FARES, OTTAWA TO VANCOUVER

Donald Campbell Jamieson (Minister of Transport)

Mr. Jamieson:

Answering the question, I am hoping to have discussions with Air Canada within a few days with regard to the whole question of fares and the like resulting from the IATA disagreement or from the failure to reach agreement. I have nothing new to report at this time other than what I have said in the past.

Topic:   AIR CANADA
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR LOWER FARES, OTTAWA TO VANCOUVER

Walter Gilbert Dinsdale

Mr. Dinsdale:

A supplementary question, Mr. Speaker. With respect to your comments, Sir, may I say that I picked up that phrase from the report of these discussions. I should like to ask the minister if he is aware of expert opinion to the effect that a fare of $180 would be economically feasible for the Ottawa-Vancouver run?

Topic:   AIR CANADA
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR LOWER FARES, OTTAWA TO VANCOUVER

Donald Campbell Jamieson (Minister of Transport)

Mr. Jamieson:

Mr. Speaker, there are all kinds of experts in these matters. I should like to get the evidence directly.

Topic:   AIR CANADA
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR LOWER FARES, OTTAWA TO VANCOUVER

Erik Nielsen

Mr. Erik Nielsen (Yukon):

Mr. Speaker, I have a supplementary question to ask of the Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources with respect to the potential pipeline from Prudhoe Bay across the Yukon and down the Mackenzie Valley to Alberta. Since the completion of ecological studies is now in sight, and since the consortiums which are prepared to commence construction of this $2 billion project are on the threshold of beginning, will the minister say whether the government has come to grips with the only remaining problem, namely, immediate consultation with native peoples in order to settle their land rights in the areas involved.

Topic:   PROPOSED MACKENZIE VALLEY PIPELINE- CONSULTATION TO SETTLE LAND RIGHTS OF NATIVE PEOPLE

John James Greene (Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources)

Hon. J. J. Greene (Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources):

Mr. Speaker, the question of consultation with the native peoples comes under the jurisdiction of my colleague, the Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development.

Erik Nielsen

Mr. Nielsen:

Where is he?

September 21, 1971

Inquiries of the Ministry

John James Greene (Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources)

Mr. Greene:

I understand that these consultations have taken place. Certainly, I am confident that the government, having foreseen the problem some two years ahead of time, will be ready to answer effectively any application that is made for the construction of a pipeline in the public interest.

Erik Nielsen

Mr. Nielsen:

A supplementary question, Mr. Speaker. In the absence of the minister who is enjoying the outdoors in my riding at this moment-

September 21, 1971