October 17, 1968

Some hon. Members:

Oh, oh.

IND

Lucien Lamoureux (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Independent

Mr. Speaker:

Order, please.

James (Jim) Gordon Lind

Mr. Lind:

I realize now that my name was removed from the committee on agriculture at six o'clock on October 15. I should like an explanation of why that was done.

Some hon. Members:

Oh, oh.

James (Jim) Gordon Lind

Mr. Lind:

Mr. Speaker, I think whoever is in charge of this-

Some hon. Members:

Oh, oh.

James (Jim) Gordon Lind

Mr. Lind:

-should give an explanation why this was done. I was taken off the committee; now I am being replaced, but I have never been consulted in the matter, and I think I deserve that explanation.

Some hon. Members:

Hear, hear.

IND

Lucien Lamoureux (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Independent

Mr. Speaker:

Order, please. I must bring to the attention of hon. members that the motion placed before the house was carried. It is not debatable. The hon. member rose on a question of privilege, but I suggest there should be no debate, since it is rather a grievance than a question of privilege. The hon. member

October 17, 1968

himself termed it a grievance. He told the house he had a grievance and essentially this is not a question of privilege. According to the rules the hon. member is required to give written notice if he proposes to raise a question of privilege which he has not done. I suggest therefore that this matter should not be debated at this time.

James (Jim) Gordon Lind

Mr. Lind:

On a point of order-

Some hon. Members:

Hear, hear.

IND

Lucien Lamoureux (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Independent

Mr. Speaker:

Is the hon. member for Middlesex rising on a point of order?

James (Jim) Gordon Lind

Mr. Lind:

I was wondering if the man in charge could explain why this has taken place.

IND

Lucien Lamoureux (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Independent

Mr. Speaker:

The hon. member may have his reasons for asking for an explanation, but I suggest it should not be given to him in the house at this time. Perhaps there might be private consultations.

Some hon. Members:

Oh, oh.

Donald MacInnis

Mr. Maclnnis (Cape Brelon-Easi Richmond):

Mr. Speaker, am I to understand that backbenchers of the opposition parties are not permitted to come to the aid of a Liberal backbencher?

James (Jim) Gordon Lind

Mr. Lind:

Mr. Speaker-

Some hon. Members:

Oh, oh.

IND

Lucien Lamoureux (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Independent

Mr. Speaker:

Order, please. Would the hon. member kindly resume his seat for one moment. He must resume his seat if he wants to give me the opportunity to recognize him.

[DOT] (3:10 p.m.)

James (Jim) Gordon Lind

Mr. Lind:

I did telephone the minister in charge but he didn't see fit to reply.

October 17, 1968