If my hon. friend would agree to vote for the next tax measure, perhaps this would reinforce his suggestion that we should provide additional services.
Having regard to the question of navigation on the St. Lawrence, I think if my friend will refer back to an earlier discussion in the house he will discover that I indicated it was the policy of the government to keep the river open from the beginning of freeze-up. There is no policy to wait; rather the directive is to open the channel at the earliest possible date and keep it open in so far as is possible during the winter, to allow the ice to flow out to sea. It was also pointed out that it is better from a mechanical standpoint not to start this until an ice cover forms. If you break up the ice too soon, a lot of needle ice forms. This is likely to increase jamming, making it more difficult to keep the channel Open. I have looked at this situation and cannot find any discrepancies in the information given me by my departmental officials. If hon. members have some information which I do not have, then I would be pleased to look at it. If I find the information to be sound I will ask for another investigation. In the meantime I cannot see that an investigation involving a further expenditure of public funds is warranted. I cannot do this just on the basis of hearsay.