June 21, 1965

On the orders of the day:

SC

Maurice Côté

Social Credit

Mr. Maurice Cote (Chicoutimi):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to put a question to

Inquiries of the Ministry the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration as the minister answerable for the C.M.H.C.

In order to enable all Canadian families to live in wholesome conditions and ensure, at the same time, the economic progress of our country, could the minister tell the house whether the government has already looked into the possibility of allowing a 3 per cent rebate on mortgage loans granted throughout Canada for the construction of one-family dwellings?

Topic:   HOUSING
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR MORTGAGE REBATE ON SINGLE DWELLINGS

Lucien Lamoureux (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

Mr. Deputy Speaker:

May I suggest to the hon. member that he put his question on the order paper?

Topic:   HOUSING
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR MORTGAGE REBATE ON SINGLE DWELLINGS

BICULTURALISM AND BILINGUALISM

VISIT TO YUGOSLAVIA BY DELEGATION OF COMMISSION

On the orders of the day:

Erik Nielsen

Mr. Erik Nielsen (Yukon):

May I ask the

Acting Prime Minister if he is in a position to reply to the question I asked him concerning the B and B Commission?

Topic:   BICULTURALISM AND BILINGUALISM
Subtopic:   VISIT TO YUGOSLAVIA BY DELEGATION OF COMMISSION

Paul Joseph James Martin (Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Hon. Paul Martin (Acting Prime Minister):

I regret that I am not, but I will look into the matter. I have been preoccupied lately.

Topic:   BICULTURALISM AND BILINGUALISM
Subtopic:   VISIT TO YUGOSLAVIA BY DELEGATION OF COMMISSION

VANCOUVER-QUESTIONS ASKED BY COMMISSION REPRESENTATIVES

On the orders of the day:

NDP

Harold Edward Winch

New Democratic Party

Mr. Harold E. Winch (Vancouver East):

Mr. Speaker, may I direct a question to the Acting Prime Minister. I understood that this afternoon he would answer two questions which I raised last week. I understood he was going to give a report as to whether or not a questionnaire had been issued by the B and B Commission, under contractual arrangement, which had certain political overtones.

Topic:   VANCOUVER-QUESTIONS ASKED BY COMMISSION REPRESENTATIVES

Paul Joseph James Martin (Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Hon. Paul Martin (Acting Prime Minister):

Mr. Speaker, I have asked for information with regard to the interrogations being made in British Columbia under the auspices of this Commission. I have not yet got all the facts to provide the necessary foundation for an answer.

Topic:   VANCOUVER-QUESTIONS ASKED BY COMMISSION REPRESENTATIVES

PUBLIC SERVICE

On the orders of the day:

Louis-Joseph Pigeon

Mr. L. J. Pigeon (Jolielie-L'Assomplion-Montcalm):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to

June 21, 1965

Inquiries of the Ministry direct a question to the Secretary of State who is responsible tor the Civil Service Commission.

Is it the government's intention to amend the Civil Service Act so that French speaking Canadians would not have to speak English any more than English speaking Canadians are required at present to speak French to get a job or a promotion, here, in Ottawa, so that both groups may get equal treatment?

Topic:   VANCOUVER-QUESTIONS ASKED BY COMMISSION REPRESENTATIVES
Subtopic:   PUBLIC SERVICE
Sub-subtopic:   OTTAWA-LANGUAGE QUALIFICATIONS RESPECTING EMPLOYMENT AND PROMOTION

Maurice Bourget (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Depuly Speaker:

Order. Since this is a matter of general policy, I suggest that the hon. member put his question on the order paper.

Topic:   VANCOUVER-QUESTIONS ASKED BY COMMISSION REPRESENTATIVES