May 27, 1965

John Whitney Pickersgill (Minister of Transport)

Mr. Pickersgill:

I assume that is correct, Sir. If I am wrong I will correct that tomorrow.

Topic:   SEARCH AND RESCUE
Subtopic:   GREAT LAKES-REQUEST FOR IMPROVEMENT OF SERVICE

PUBLIC BUILDINGS

HULL, QUE.-INQUIRY AS TO CONSTRUCTION

On the orders of the day:

RA

Gérard Laprise

Ralliement Créditiste

Mr. Gerard Laprise (Chapleau):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to put a question to the Minister of Public Works.

During the last session the former minister of public works stated that he would soon announce the construction of public buildings in the city of Hull. My question is this. Does the present Minister of Public Works intend to announce soon the construction of federal buildings in the city of Hull?

Topic:   PUBLIC BUILDINGS
Subtopic:   HULL, QUE.-INQUIRY AS TO CONSTRUCTION

An hon. Member:

Order paper.

Topic:   PUBLIC BUILDINGS
Subtopic:   HULL, QUE.-INQUIRY AS TO CONSTRUCTION

Maurice Bourget (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

Order, please. This also is a very interesting question, but I do not think it contains that element of urgency which would demand an immediate answer. In any

May 27. 1965

Inquiries of the Ministry

event I am sure the Minister, in order to Mr. Pickersgill: The decision will be an-give an answer, will have to make an inves- nounced as soon as possible alter it is made tigation in his Department. in order to satisfy the curiosity of the hon.

Member for Pictou; I can understand his TRANSPORT curiosity.

Topic:   PUBLIC BUILDINGS
Subtopic:   HULL, QUE.-INQUIRY AS TO CONSTRUCTION

SUGGESTED FRENCH NAME FOR NEW ICEBREAKER

On the orders of the day:

RA

Lucien Plourde

Ralliement Créditiste

Mr. Lucien Plourde (Quebec West):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to put a question to the Minister of Transport following the statement he made yesterday to the effect that a Canadian icebreaker would be named "John Cabot".

Could the minister tell the house why this icebreaker will be named "John Cabot", whereas it is probably named after Jean Cabot-a fine French name-a Venetian navigator at the service of England, who, with his son Sebastian, discovered part of the coasts of Newfoundland, Labrador and Florida in 1497?

Topic:   SUGGESTED FRENCH NAME FOR NEW ICEBREAKER

John Whitney Pickersgill (Minister of Transport)

Hon. J. W. Pickersgill (Minister of Transport):

I think, Sir, this calls for a lengthy reply.

Topic:   SUGGESTED FRENCH NAME FOR NEW ICEBREAKER

Some hon. Members:

Sit down; order paper.

Topic:   SUGGESTED FRENCH NAME FOR NEW ICEBREAKER

Maurice Bourget (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

In view of the general interest, perhaps we should clean up this historical fact right now.

Topic:   SUGGESTED FRENCH NAME FOR NEW ICEBREAKER

John Whitney Pickersgill (Minister of Transport)

Mr. Pickersgill:

I think, Sir, it requires more historical research than I have had the opportunity to give at this time to clear it up right now. I should like to think about it over the week end.

Topic:   SUGGESTED FRENCH NAME FOR NEW ICEBREAKER

NOVA SCOTIA-WINTER TERMINAL FOR SERVICE WITH NEWFOUNDLAND

On the orders of the day:

Howard Russell MacEwan

Mr. H. Russell MacEwan (Pictou):

I have a question for the Minister of Labour. Perhaps I should direct it to the Minister of Transport, since he is also concerned with this subject. Has a decision yet been made with regard to the provision of alternative port facilities either at Mulgrave or Port Hastings?

Topic:   NOVA SCOTIA-WINTER TERMINAL FOR SERVICE WITH NEWFOUNDLAND

John Whitney Pickersgill (Minister of Transport)

Hon. J. W. Pickersgill (Minister of Transport):

I think this is a matter which comes under my jurisdiction. I am giving this question the most earnest consideration.

Topic:   NOVA SCOTIA-WINTER TERMINAL FOR SERVICE WITH NEWFOUNDLAND

Howard Russell MacEwan

Mr. MacEwan:

Will a decision be made before the next election, after redistribution?

Topic:   NOVA SCOTIA-WINTER TERMINAL FOR SERVICE WITH NEWFOUNDLAND