May 26, 1965

PRIVILEGE

MR. PICKERSGILL-REMARKS IN DEBATE BY MEMBER FOR EDMONTON WEST

John Whitney Pickersgill (Minister of Transport)

Hon. J. W. Pickersgiil (Minister of Transport):

Mr. Speaker, I believe I have a question of privilege arising out of a question of privilege raised last evening at ten o'clock by the hon. Member for Edmonton West at a time when I v/as not-and I apologize for this-in the House. In that statement the hon. gentleman, I think, misled the House as to the attitude I had taken earlier in the debate, and also I think misled the House as to his own attitude in the matter.

I should like to read very briefly, sir, from what the hon. gentleman said; I will not read all he said:

During the course of my remarks I was questioned by the Minister of Transport (Mr. Pickersgiil) as to the first occasion on which there had been an appeal, under Standing Order 26, from Mr. Speaker's ruling. On that occasion the Minister suggested that the appeal had come from the official opposition.

Well, Sir, I made no such suggestion. I would draw hon. Members' attention to Hansard, page 1638, where the hon. Member for Edmonton West accused us on this side of the House, because we had later voted in an opposite sense from the sense in which we had voted on the occasion to which he referred when he was Speaker, in these words:

Not only was that an exercise in hypocrisy, it was cynical.

I interrupted him and asked who made the appeal on that occasion. I asked because I did not know who made it and I was seeking information. The hon. Member went on:

It was contemptuous and it was contemptible. It was cynical in that it was repeated on a number of occasions.

Then, Sir, the hon. Member went on in his question of privilege to say:

I would like to clearly point out that the appeal came from the hon. Member for Burnaby-Coquit-lam (Mr. Douglas) and that he was ably abetted in that appeal by the hon. Member for Winnipeg North Centre (Mr. Knowles).

The date was given as June 17, 1963, and I have looked up the record. It is true that although the right hon. gentleman has sought to move the adjournment of the House, the appeal was taken by the hon. Member for Burnaby-Coquitlam, and the appeal was put to the House. I have here the Hansard for June 17. I have the list of those who voted for the appeal, who voted in a manner which the hon. Member for Edmonton West has characterized as hypocrisy, cynicism and contempt of Parliament, and I find in the list of those who voted the ex-Speaker of the House, the hon. Member for Edmonton West.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. PICKERSGILL-REMARKS IN DEBATE BY MEMBER FOR EDMONTON WEST

Some hon. Members:

Hear, hear.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. PICKERSGILL-REMARKS IN DEBATE BY MEMBER FOR EDMONTON WEST

Marcel Joseph Aimé Lambert

Hon. Marcel Lambert (Edmonton West):

Mr. Speaker, since the Minister of Transport has sought to clarify the record further, I will say there was no attempt at all to confuse the issue. In this question last night the Minister indicated where the appeal had come from and I endeavoured to reply, and it is to that I limit my reply.

So far as the question of the appeal was concerned, I do recall that I gave way to a rather temporary degree of annoyance on the occasion. I regretted the decision, and I think I apologized to Your Honour privately for what I thought was perhaps a wrong gesture on my part on that occasion, for which I accept full responsibility and which I hope I will never repeat.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. PICKERSGILL-REMARKS IN DEBATE BY MEMBER FOR EDMONTON WEST

Some hon. Members:

Hear, hear.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. PICKERSGILL-REMARKS IN DEBATE BY MEMBER FOR EDMONTON WEST

QUESTIONS

(Questions answered orally are indicated by an asterisk.)

FERRY SERVICE, GRAND MANAN ISLAND AND MAINLAND

Mr. Bell

With reference to the ferry service changes between Grand Manan island and the mainland of New Brunswick (a) what are the present and the proposed distances, routes and sailings (b) will there be new terminals and, if so, give location, with all costs and details, including dredging (c) will a new vessel be used for this service and, if so, give size, capacity (passengers, cars and trucks), cost, and place of construction?

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   FERRY SERVICE, GRAND MANAN ISLAND AND MAINLAND

Maurice Lamontagne (Secretary of State of Canada)

Hon. Maurice Lamonlagne (Secretary of State):

I am informed by the Departments of Transport and Public Works as follows:

The Canadian Maritime Commission advise as follows:

May 26, 1965

Questions

(a) Distances present service: between

Grand Manan and Saint John direct 45 miles; between Grand Manan and Saint John via Wilson's Beach 64 miles; between Grand Manan and St. Andrews via Wilson's Beach 30.5 miles.

Distance proposed service between Grand Manan and Blacks Harbour 19i miles;

Present routes and sailings, from May to October inclusive: Three round trips per week between Grand Manan and St. Andrews, calling at Wilson's Beach, both ways; One round trip per week between Grand Manan and Saint John, calling at Wilson's Beach, both ways; One round trip per week between Grand Manan and Saint John direct.

During the months of April, November and December: One round trip per week between Grand Manan and Saint John, calling at Wilson's Beach, both ways; Four round trips per week between Grand Manan and St. Andrews, calling at Wilson's Beach, both ways.

During the Mid-Summer months: Round trips are made on ten Sundays between Grand Manan and St. Andrews.

Proposed route and sailings during Summer months: Two round trips per day between Grand Manan and Blacks Harbour.

During the Winter months: One round trip per day between Grand Manan and Blacks Harbour.

(b) New terminals will be provided. The mainland terminal will be at Blacks Harbour (Wallace's Cove) and the Grand Manan Island terminal will be at North Head. A contract was awarded by the Department of Public Works on March 29, 1965, to Diamond Construction (1961) Ltd., of Fredericton, N.B., based on a lump sum price, fixed unit rates and estimated quantities totalling $1,490,139. for the construction of the two terminals.

At Blacks Harbour the work involves the construction of a cribwork wharf with a rock-fill approach. The wharf will be equipped with a transfer bridge and hoisting equipment. An approach road and parking area are also included.

At North Head, a transfer bridge and the necessary hoisting equipment will be added to the existing boat wharf to accommodate the new ferry.

The dredging which is required at both sites is for the purpose of preparation of foundations for the timber cribs. No navigation dredging is required.

(c) Yes. Size: length 172'3", breadth 40', moulded depth 13', draft lO'OOi". Capacity: 100 passengers, 22 cars or equivalent in cars and trucks. Cost of construction of vessel: $1,877,000. Place of construction: Saint John, N.B.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   FERRY SERVICE, GRAND MANAN ISLAND AND MAINLAND

LENGTH OF LIFE OF NYLON FLAGS

SC

Mr. Marcoux

Social Credit

1. What is the average life of a flag made of nylon in accordance with Canadian Government specifications?

2. How many flags does the Government of Canada use each year?

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   LENGTH OF LIFE OF NYLON FLAGS

Maurice Lamontagne (Secretary of State of Canada)

Hon. Maurice Lamontagne (Secretary of State):

1. It is difficult to provide this information. The average life of a flag depends on climatic conditions, exposure to high velocity winds, whether flown on land or at sea, the geographic location and the seasons in which such a flag is flown. However, those departments which are the largest users report that the average life of a nylon flag is approximately three months.

2. Approximately 16,157.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   LENGTH OF LIFE OF NYLON FLAGS

REQUEST FOR RESEARCH PROJECT, CAPE BRETON COUNTY, N.S.

Mr. Muir (Cape Breion

North and Victoria):

1. Has the Minister of Forestry received a resolution from the Cape Breton County Municipal Council, requesting that the federal Department of Forestry, under ARDA, carry out a research project in District No. 12, in the County of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia?

2. What reply was given by the Minister of Forestry and what action is contemplated in regard to this resolution?

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR RESEARCH PROJECT, CAPE BRETON COUNTY, N.S.

Bruce Silas Beer (Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Forestry; Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. B. S. Beer (Parliamentary Secreiary to Minister of Forestry):

1. Yes.

2. Under the ARDA program, projects are initiated, planned and carried out by the provincial government with financial assistance provided by the federal government. Federal ARDA officials will be discussing the details of the research program with the province after it has been submitted to them.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR RESEARCH PROJECT, CAPE BRETON COUNTY, N.S.

REPRESENTATIONS RESPECTING FOOD LABELLING

Mr. Howe (Hamilton

South):

Has the government received representations from the Allergy Information Group, requesting the explicit labelling of foods and, if so, what was the reply?

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   REPRESENTATIONS RESPECTING FOOD LABELLING

Julia Verlyn (Judy) LaMarsh (Minister of Amateur Sport; Minister of National Health and Welfare)

Hon. Judy V. LaMarsh (Minister of National Health and Welfare):

Representations have been received by the Department of National Health and Welfare from officers of Allergy

May 26. 1965

Questions

Information requesting that the labels of all food products carry a complete list of ingredients.

The organization has been informed that the problem with respect to the sensitivity of many people to certain food ingredients and the need for listing ingredients on the labels of all food products are under active study by the Food and Drug Directorate. The matter was also referred for consideration to the Advisory Council of Consumers at a meeting held at Ottawa during February of this year. The members of the Council agreed that more information should appear on food labels but that the process of revision should be a gradual one. They felt that the whole allergy problem should be investigated with a view to determining the number of allergy sufferers in Canada and ascertaining the ingredients to which people are most frequently sensitive. This information is now being gathered by the Food and Drug Directorate and it is hoped that an early and practical solution to the problem can be found.

Changes have been embodied in the Food and Drug Regulations during the past year to require more complete listing of ingredients and more informative labelling. It is expected that, as time goes by, the number of foods exempted from a list of ingredients will be reduced and that many of the standardized foods will require an ingredient list on the label.

Topic:   QUESTIONS