May 18, 1965

Mr. R. Gordon L. Fairweather@Royal

Mr. Speaker, I should like to direct a question to the Secretary of State for External Affairs. The Minister dismissed somewhat summarily the question asked by the hon. Member for Kootenay West, and I think the Minister will recognize that it is hard for those of us who are not privy to the information he has available to him to keep up with events in this part of the hemisphere. I am wondering whather the Minister could give us the authentic latest news on the Dominican Republic.

Topic:   URANIUM
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-REPORTED CHANGE IN U.S. POSITION
NDP

Douglas Mason Fisher

New Democratic Party

Mr. Fisher:

Rawhide had it this morning.

Topic:   URANIUM
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-REPORTED CHANGE IN U.S. POSITION
NDP

Murdo William Martin

New Democratic Party

Mr. Martin (Essex Easf):

I am sorry, Mr. Speaker, if I summarily dismissed the hon.

May 18. 1965

Inquiries of the Ministry Member for Kootenay West, because he is Mr. Pearson: Mr. Speaker, there will be full the last man in the world I would summarily explanation of that matter when the resolu-dismiss. tions are before the House.

Topic:   URANIUM
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-REPORTED CHANGE IN U.S. POSITION

Robert Gordon Lee Fairweather

Mr. Fairweather:

Don't dismiss me, either.

Topic:   URANIUM
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-REPORTED CHANGE IN U.S. POSITION

Paul Joseph James Martin (Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Mr. Martin (Essex East):

No, I will not dismiss my hon. friend.

Topic:   URANIUM
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-REPORTED CHANGE IN U.S. POSITION

John George Diefenbaker (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Diefenbaker:

On political grounds.

Topic:   URANIUM
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-REPORTED CHANGE IN U.S. POSITION

Paul Joseph James Martin (Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Mr. Martin (Essex East):

On political

grounds. I promised to examine the question, and I will do so.

Topic:   URANIUM
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-REPORTED CHANGE IN U.S. POSITION

Wallace Bickford (Wally) Nesbitt

Mr. W. B. Nesbitt (Oxford):

Mr. Speaker, I have a question supplementary to that asked by the hon. Member for Royal. Is the Minister or his Department receiving any information on this subject from Washington?

Topic:   URANIUM
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-REPORTED CHANGE IN U.S. POSITION

Paul Joseph James Martin (Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Mr. Martin (Essex East):

Yes, Mr. Speaker.

In addition to our own staff normally resident at the mission in the Dominican Republic we have asked one of our own people in Ottawa to go to the Dominican Republic, and he has been there now for a matter of days. We are in continuous telephonic communication with him, and we are following events there with great concern.

Topic:   URANIUM
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-REPORTED CHANGE IN U.S. POSITION

FINANCE

SASKATCHEWAN-TAX CONCESSIONS TO POTASH MINES USING SOLUTION PROCESS

On the orders of the day:

NDP

Thomas Clement (Tommy) Douglas

New Democratic Party

Mr. T. C. Douglas (Burnaby-Coquitlam):

Mr. Speaker, may I direct a question to the Prime Minister respecting the suggestion he made in Regina last night, and ask him whether the House may now assume it is the Government's intention to remove any discrimination which may exist with respect to solution mining of potash as compared with shaft mining operations?

Topic:   FINANCE
Subtopic:   SASKATCHEWAN-TAX CONCESSIONS TO POTASH MINES USING SOLUTION PROCESS

Lester Bowles Pearson (Prime Minister)

Righi Hon. L. B. Pearson (Prime Minister):

Mr. Speaker, this matter will be discussed when the budget resolutions are before the House, and I said nothing last night which

would prejudice that discussion.

Topic:   FINANCE
Subtopic:   SASKATCHEWAN-TAX CONCESSIONS TO POTASH MINES USING SOLUTION PROCESS
NDP

Thomas Clement (Tommy) Douglas

New Democratic Party

Mr. Douglas:

As a supplementary question, in view of the fact that the Premier of Saskatchewan has stated that neither he nor his ministers have been able to get any explanation from the Government as to why this discrimination does exist, would the Prime Minister undertake himself to give, or have the Minister of Finance give an explanation to the House, which we have never had?

Topic:   FINANCE
Subtopic:   SASKATCHEWAN-TAX CONCESSIONS TO POTASH MINES USING SOLUTION PROCESS

Mr. R. Gordon L. Fairweather@Royal

As

a supplementary question, Mr. Speaker, I wonder if the Prime Minister did in fact use the word "ingrate" when referring to the Premier of Saskatchewan. How ungrateful does one have to be to be awarded this classification by the Prime Minister?

Topic:   FINANCE
Subtopic:   SASKATCHEWAN-TAX CONCESSIONS TO POTASH MINES USING SOLUTION PROCESS

Lester Bowles Pearson (Prime Minister)

Mr. Pearson:

No, Mr. Speaker, I did not use that word. It is a term I seldom use in any connection, and certainly not in regard to any discussions I had with the Premier of Saskatchewan or his cabinet, discussions which were very friendly, very helpful and very constructive.

Topic:   FINANCE
Subtopic:   SASKATCHEWAN-TAX CONCESSIONS TO POTASH MINES USING SOLUTION PROCESS

COMPANY OF YOUNG CANADIANS

USE OF TRAINING FACILITIES AT ELLIOT LAKE, ONT.

On the orders of the day: