April 1, 1965

INCLUSION IN "HANSARD" APPENDIX OF LISTS OF COMMITTEES

Maurice Bourget (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. May I take a moment to call the attention of the house to an innovation suggested by the special committee on procedure and organization. Hon. members will note that the appendix to yesterday's Hansard contained an alphabetical list of the membership of standing, special and joint committees. It is planned to make this a regular Wednesday feature.

Topic:   INCLUSION IN "HANSARD" APPENDIX OF LISTS OF COMMITTEES

COMMITTEES OF THE HOUSE

Fourteenth report of standing committee on banking and commerce-Mr. Pennell. Fourth report of standing committee on mines, forests and waters-Mr. Godin. Fifth report of special committee on defence-Mr. Hahn. Sixth report of standing committee on privileges and elections-Mr. Moreau.

GENERAL H. D. G. CRERAR TRIBUTES ON DEATH OF FIRST CANADIAN ARMY COMMANDER

Lester Bowles Pearson (Prime Minister)

Right Hon. L. B. Pearson (Prime Minister):

Mr. Speaker, I am sure the house will be saddened to learn that an hour or two ago a member of the privy council passed away. He was also the commander of the only Canadian army we have had in the field; I refer to General H. D. G. Crerar.

As hon. members know, he was a man who served Canada for more than half a century in war and in peace with quiet efficiency, with sincerity and with great devotion. We shall miss him greatly-especially those of us privileged to be his friends-and we are grateful for what he has done for our country. I shall send my deep and heartfelt sympathy to Mrs. Crerar and to the family.

Topic:   GENERAL H. D. G. CRERAR TRIBUTES ON DEATH OF FIRST CANADIAN ARMY COMMANDER

Gordon Minto Churchill (Official Opposition House Leader; Progressive Conservative Party House Leader)

Hon. Gordon Churchill (Winnipeg South Centre):

Mr. Speaker, it is with great sorrow that we have learned of the sudden passing of our wartime commander. Those of us who

had the privilege of serving under General Crerar had the greatest admiration for his work and for the courage and inspiration that he transmitted to the forces under his command. He served with distinction as commander of Canada's first army in the field. On behalf of this party I should like to express our sympathy to his family.

NDP

Thomas Clement (Tommy) Douglas

New Democratic Party

Mr. T. C. Douglas (Burnaby-Coquitlam):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to associate the members of this party with the expressions of regret which have just been enunciated by the Prime Minister and the hon. member for Winnipeg South Centre. We too would like to express our great appreciation of the service which General Crerar has rendered this country both in war and in peace. At the invitation of General McNaughton it was my privilege during the war to visit the Canadian forces overseas, particularly Saskatchewan troops, and I shall always be grateful for the kindness and hospitality which were extended to me by General Crerar. I have very happy memories of that brief association with him and of the several occasions on which I have met him since. I think he was a great soldier and a fine Canadian, and we pay tribute to his memory.

SC

Robert Norman Thompson

Social Credit

Mr. R. N. Thompson (Red Deer):

Mr. Speaker, we too associate ourselves with the words of the Prime Minister on the passing of General Crerar. Truly Canada has lost one of her great citizens. All of us who have known him personally understand just how well he served this country. I am sure the people of the nation will join with us in our expression of sorrow and sympathy to the members of his family. Canada has lost a man who truly served her well. We have known of his illness and of the difficult days he has had in recent months. I am sure many of his friends have appreciated in a special way his services to Canada.

RA

David Réal Caouette

Ralliement Créditiste

Mr. Real Caouetie (Villeneuve):

Mr. Speaker, we join with the Prime Minister (Mr. Pearson) and others who have expressed their deep sympathy on the occasion of the death of General Crerar who was, we agree, a great Canadian.

Inquiries of the Ministry

To all his family, we extend our most sincere and deepest sympathy.

THE BUDGET

INQUIRY AS TO PROBABLE DATE OF PRESENTATION

On the orders of the day:

George Clyde Nowlan

Hon. George C. Nowlan (Digby-Annapolis-Kings):

Mr. Speaker, in view of the statement of the Prime Minister the other day that it is not proposed to proceed with the budget until after the Easter recess, which is different from what was planned originally, is the Prime Minister in a position to state that immediately after the Easter recess and the conclusion of the debate on the address in reply to the speech from the throne the budget will be introduced?

Topic:   THE BUDGET
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO PROBABLE DATE OF PRESENTATION

Lester Bowles Pearson (Prime Minister)

Right Hon. L. B. Pearson (Prime Minister):

All I can say, Mr. Speaker, because I have to make a reservation for any emergency that might develop, is that it is the intention to introduce the budget very shortly after the resumption of parliament following the Easter recess.

Topic:   THE BUDGET
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO PROBABLE DATE OF PRESENTATION

WHEAT-REQUEST FOR ANNOUNCEMENT OF PRICING POLICY

On the orders of the day:

NDP

Thomas Clement (Tommy) Douglas

New Democratic Party

Mr. T. C. Douglas (Burnaby-Coquitlam):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to ask the Prime Minister if there is any prospect that the government will be making an announcement regarding its wheat pricing policy prior to the time that prairie farmers begin their spring seeding operations.

Topic:   WHEAT-REQUEST FOR ANNOUNCEMENT OF PRICING POLICY

Lester Bowles Pearson (Prime Minister)

Right Hon. L. B. Pearson (Prime Minister):

Perhaps my hon. friend would let me take that question as notice, and I will reply to it tomorrow.

Topic:   WHEAT-REQUEST FOR ANNOUNCEMENT OF PRICING POLICY