March 25, 1965

On the orders of the day:

Gordon Minto Churchill (Official Opposition House Leader; Progressive Conservative Party House Leader)

Hon. Gordon Churchill (Winnipeg South Centre):

Mr. Speaker, my question is not on the Pan-American games, with regard to which I received a very unsatisfactory answer last week. I want to ask the Minister of National Defence a question. Are members of the Canadian army who have been called up from the militia under Canadian army order 94-2 to be released without pension or other benefits? I did not have a chance to give the minister notice.

Hon. Paul Hellyer (Minister of National

Defence): I will take the question as notice, Mr. Speaker.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
Subtopic:   RELEASE OF MEMBERS OF MILITIA CALLED UP TO ARMY

POSSIBLE TRANSFER OF SCHOOLS TO PROVINCIAL AUTHORITY

On the orders of the day:

Marcel Joseph Aimé Lambert

Hon. Marcel Lambert (Edmonton West):

should like to direct a question to the Associate Minister of National Defence. Can he tell the house whether he or his officials have

Inquiries of the Ministry been in communication with the educational authorities in the various provinces to discuss the possible transfer of D.N.D. schools to the authority and control of provincial educational authorities?

Topic:   POSSIBLE TRANSFER OF SCHOOLS TO PROVINCIAL AUTHORITY

Léo Alphonse Joseph Cadieux (Associate Minister of National Defence)

Hon. Leo Cadieux (Associate Minister of National Defence):

No, Mr. Speaker.

Topic:   POSSIBLE TRANSFER OF SCHOOLS TO PROVINCIAL AUTHORITY

Marcel Joseph Aimé Lambert

Mr. Lambert:

Will the minister advise the house whether this was being contemplated in November last year?

Topic:   POSSIBLE TRANSFER OF SCHOOLS TO PROVINCIAL AUTHORITY

Léo Alphonse Joseph Cadieux (Associate Minister of National Defence)

Mr. Cadieux:

I will have to check that.

Topic:   POSSIBLE TRANSFER OF SCHOOLS TO PROVINCIAL AUTHORITY

REQUEST THAT TELEPHONE OPERATORS REPLY IN BOTH LANGUAGES

On the orders of the day:

Auguste Choquette

Mr. Auguste Choquetle (Lolbiniere):

Mr. Speaker, I have a question, and I should like to make it also a question of privilege.

I should like to draw the attention of all hon. members to the fact that, as of this morning, bilingualism in parliament has made some progress since government telephone operators are answering "Government of Canada", "Gouvernement du Canada", following the request I made last week.

My question of privilege is this. Instructions to answer in both languages calls made to the government have not been given to all telephone operators and, consequently, when Quebec citizens who can only express themselves in French telephone from Abitibi, Lake St. John, Riviere-du-Loup or elsewhere, their first contact with the government of the country, their government, gives them a strange feeling when the telephone operator only says: "Government of Canada".

Now that instructions have been given to bilingual telephone operators to answer in both languages, I wonder if, through the Minister of Transport who is now responsible for the government telephone branch, unilingual telephone operators could not also be required to answer: "Gouvernement du Canada", "Government of Canada"?

Topic:   REQUEST THAT TELEPHONE OPERATORS REPLY IN BOTH LANGUAGES

EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

On the orders of the day:

NDP

Herbert Wilfred Herridge

New Democratic Party

Mr. H. W. Herridge (Kooienay West):

Mr. Speaker, I wish to address a question to the Secretary of State for External Affairs, of which I have not given you notice. My question is based on a telegram I have received

from my constituency signed by members or supporters of all parties, including a former Liberal candidate, and a member each of the Protestant and Catholic clergy. The question is this. When is the government going to publicly and unequivocally dissociate itself from the inhuman and barbarous use of gas by United States forces in Viet Nam?

Topic:   REQUEST THAT TELEPHONE OPERATORS REPLY IN BOTH LANGUAGES
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   VIET NAM-USE OF GAS BY U.S. FORCES

Paul Joseph James Martin (Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Hon. Paul Martin (Secretary of Slate for External Affairs):

Mr. Speaker, I think if my hon. friend will look at what I said yesterday he will find that the request has already been answered. I am sure that my hon. friend's constituents, particularly the gentlemen he mentioned, will give this matter the responsible attention which a subject of this importance warrants.

Topic:   REQUEST THAT TELEPHONE OPERATORS REPLY IN BOTH LANGUAGES
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   VIET NAM-USE OF GAS BY U.S. FORCES

On the orders of the day:

Wallace Bickford (Wally) Nesbitt

Mr. W. B. Nesbitt (Oxford):

I have a question for the Secretary of State for External Affairs. Is the minister now in a position to announce that Canada is going to offer the assistance that Tanzania requested for the establishment and training of her air force? This is an urgent and pressing matter, since we all know to what very willing aid our commonwealth brother may have to turn if Canada turns down this request.

Topic:   REQUEST THAT TELEPHONE OPERATORS REPLY IN BOTH LANGUAGES
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   TANZANIA-REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE IN ESTABLISHMENT OF AIR FORCE

Paul Joseph James Martin (Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Hon. Paul Martin (Secretary of Stale for External Affairs):

As I said three days ago, this matter is now under consideration.

Topic:   REQUEST THAT TELEPHONE OPERATORS REPLY IN BOTH LANGUAGES