February 20, 1964

PRIVILEGE

MR. NIELSEN REFERENCE TO REPLY BY TRANSPORT MINISTER

Erik Nielsen

Mr. Erik Nielsen (Yukon):

Mr. Speaker, I rise on a question of privilege affecting all hon. members of this house. It has to do with a reply to a question given by the Minister of Transport (Mr. Pickersgill) yesterday which is to be found on pages 14 and 15 of Hansard.

The minister will recall that I directed a question to him concerning short run routes of T.C.A. and his reply, as it appears at the foot of the right hand column on page 14 of Hansard, reads as follows:

I was rather surprised to read what I was supposed to have said, myself. What I did in fact say was that T.C.A. had found in western Canada, as hon. members well know, that there are certain of these short routes which cannot be serviced with modern long range aircraft. I was not seeking to draw any inferences from that with regard to future policy.

My question of privilege has to do with the words "long range". I realize that the minister, who is very busy, would likely have his blues checked by his assistants and that certain words found their way perhaps inadvertently into the text of his reply. I was listening very carefully to what he said, and, of course, my supplementary question, which is to be found on page 15, was based on the actual reply he made, a reply which did not include the words "long range". My supplementary question, based on the words used by the hon. gentleman, was as follows:

Would the minister inform the house what runs cannot be handled by modem aircraft in use today?

I would not have used that form of words had the minister's reply contained the words "long range".

I suggest to the minister that he agree with me that those two words "long range" be deleted from the official record of the debates of yesterday so as to maintain the accuracy of replies. This would avoid the necessity of a remedial motion to have those words deleted from the text.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. NIELSEN REFERENCE TO REPLY BY TRANSPORT MINISTER

John Whitney Pickersgill (Minister of Transport)

Hon. J. W. Pickersgill (Minister of Transport):

I cannot be sure whether I used those words or not, but I know that is what

I meant. If that is not exactly what I said, I am perfectly prepared to have the words deleted.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. NIELSEN REFERENCE TO REPLY BY TRANSPORT MINISTER

ANNOUNCEMENT OF CHANGES IN PARLIAMENTARY SECRETARIES

Lester Bowles Pearson (Prime Minister)

Right Hon. L. B. Pearson (Prime Minister):

I wish to table copies in English and French of certain changes in the appointment of parliamentary secretaries since the prorogation of parliament on December 21, 1963. Other parliamentary secretaries remain unchanged in their assignments.

Perhaps I could indicate to the house what the changes are. Mr. Guy Rouleau, member of parliament for Dollard, to be parliamentary secretary to the Prime Minister; Mr. Hubert Badanai, member of parliament for Fort William, to be parliamentary secretary to the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration; Mr. Bruce S. Beer, member of parliament for Peel, to be parliamentary secretary jointly to the Minister of Agriculture and the Minister of Forestry; Mr. Alexis Caron, member of parliament for Hull, to be parliamentary secretary to the Postmaster General; Mr. Stanley Haidasz, member of parliament for Parkdale, to be parliamentary secretary to the Secretary of State for External Affairs; Mr. G. Roy McWilliam, member of parliament for Northumberland-Miramichi, to be parliamentary secretary to the Minister of Public Works; Mr. John C. Munro, member of parliament for Hamilton East, to be parliamentary secretary to the Minister of ^-National Health and Welfare; and Mr. John

B. Stewart, member of parliament for Antigonish-Guysborough, to be parliamentary secretary to the Secretary of State for Canada.

Topic:   ANNOUNCEMENT OF CHANGES IN PARLIAMENTARY SECRETARIES

BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE

PROCEDURE RESPECTING INTRODUCTION OF BILLS

Maurice Bourget (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

As hon. members will have noticed, there are on today's order paper some 68 bills listed for introduction by private members.

It would be difficult, if not impossible, for the Chair to review the provisions of these bills at this time. In view of that fact, may I suggest to the house that we adopt the same procedure which was agreed upon by

Introduction of Bills

the house at the commencement of last session, namely that we proceed to the introduction and first reading of these bills, with the understanding that each will be scrutinized between now and the time appointed for its second reading, when, if any defect be found therein so far as the practices and usages of the house are concerned, it will be brought to the attention of hon. members.

Second, that in order to save time, taking into consideration that perhaps more than two hours would be required to introduce each of these measures separately, by unanimous consent all the bills listed for introduction on today's order paper be deemed to have been introduced, given first reading and ordered for a second reading at the next sitting of the house, subject of course to my prior remarks as to the examination and regularity of each bill.

Is it the pleasure of the house that, by unanimous consent, these 68 bills be deemed to have been introduced, read a first time and ordered for a second reading at the next sitting of the house?

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE
Subtopic:   PROCEDURE RESPECTING INTRODUCTION OF BILLS

Some hon. Members:

Agreed.

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE
Subtopic:   PROCEDURE RESPECTING INTRODUCTION OF BILLS

Maurice Bourget (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

Accordingly, I declare that the 68 bills listed for introduction by private members on today's order paper are deemed to have been introduced, read a first time and ordered for second reading at the next sitting of the house.

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE
Subtopic:   PROCEDURE RESPECTING INTRODUCTION OF BILLS

FINANCE

PAYMENT OF PROVINCIAL TAXES AND FEES BY CROWN CORPORATIONS

Walter Lockhart Gordon (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. Walter L. Gordon (Minister of Finance) moved

that the house go into committee at the next sitting to consider the following resolution, which has been recommended to the house by His Excellency:

That it is expedient to introduce a measure to provide for the payment of certain provincial taxes and fees by crown corporations on or after the 1st day of April, 1964.

Topic:   FINANCE
Subtopic:   PAYMENT OF PROVINCIAL TAXES AND FEES BY CROWN CORPORATIONS

Motion agreed to.

JUDGES ACT AND EXCHEQUER COURT ACT

PROVISION FOR ADDITIONAL JUDGE OF EXCHEQUER COURT

Guy Favreau (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada; Leader of the Government in the House of Commons; Liberal Party House Leader)

Hon. Guy Favreau (Minister of Justice) moved

That it is expedient to introduce a measure to amend the Judges Act and the Exchequer Court Act to authorize the appointment of, and the provision of salary for, one additional judge of the Exchequer Court of Canada.

Topic:   JUDGES ACT AND EXCHEQUER COURT ACT