May 28, 1963

PRIVILEGE

MR. SAUVE CORRECTION OP REMARKS MADE IN DEBATE

Maurice Sauvé

Mr. Maurice Sauve (iles-de-la-Madeleine):

Mr. Speaker, I rise on a question of privilege.

Yesterday in this house, the hon. member for Joliette-L'Assomption-Montcalm (Mr. Pigeon) raised a question of privilege about the report of the speech 1 made on Wednesday, May 22, which appears in Hansard beginning at page 151.

He explained to the house that a sentence had been deleted from my speech at my own request. I admit it is true, Mr. Speaker, and here is what happened.

An hour after we have made a speech, a blue copy of it is handed to us which we are asked to look over. As is the custom, I made a few style and vocabulary corrections which in no way altered the meaning of the text. And then I came up against a major difficulty. I felt an important sentence was missing. Since I was not allowed to add that sentence, I decided to delete a few words. I considered that, without that sentence, my text took on a wrong meaning or, at the very least, that the sentence had a significance other than the one I intended it to have. Therefore, I thank the hon. member for having given me this opportunity of making that correction to my text and four others which I also consider important.

On page 4 of the appendix, the words:

-as in Ontario.

should be added to the following sentence:

-while there is only 27 per cent of the labour force and twice as many unemployed people-

And to comply with the request of the hon. member, on page 5, after the sentence beginning as follows:

For instance, on the trains-

And ending with:

-and the stations are called only in English.

the following sentence should be inserted:

And while this is going on in Ottawa and on the trains, bombs are exploding in Montreal.

Finally, at the bottom of the second column of page 5, instead of:

-while paying, at the same time, the federal contribution-

One should read:

-while having the province assume, at the same time, the federal contribution of $75 million to hospital insurance-

1 trust, Mr. Speaker, that with leave of the house, those corrections will be made in the final version of Hansard. I might add, Mr. Speaker, that I apologize if I have unintentionally violated the rules of this house.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. SAUVE CORRECTION OP REMARKS MADE IN DEBATE

Louis-Joseph Pigeon

Mr. Pigeon:

On the same question of privilege, Mr. Speaker, you realize, of course, that the hon. member has just delivered another speech.

The hon. member has agreed that he struck out that phrase. He did so contrary to the standing orders of the house. I ask therefore that the rules be applied and that those words be put back in the official report. Besides, if you refer back to the blue sheets which never lie, you will see that the hon. member for iles-de-la-Madeleine, on page 5 of the appendix, has made other changes himself, when he said:

In the economic field, where do we stand? We own almost nothing.

When, as a matter of fact, he said:

We have absolutely nothing.

(Text):

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. SAUVE CORRECTION OP REMARKS MADE IN DEBATE

John Whitney Pickersgill (Secretary of State of Canada; Leader of the Government in the House of Commons; Liberal Party House Leader)

Mr. Pickersgill:

May I raise a point of order, sir. The hon. member for Iles-de-la-Madeleine had already asked the house to have the phrase replaced to which the hon. member for Joliette-L'Assomption-Montcalm referred yesterday. It seems to me, sir, that after that had been done the matter should have been closed. The hon. member for Joliette-L'Assomption-Montcalm has no right whatever under the rules to begin to discuss, at this late date, days after the Hansard appeared, other changes that he wishes to have made in the version of the hon. member's speech. The hon. member himself made a number of corrections, and it seems to me the matter should be closed now.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. SAUVE CORRECTION OP REMARKS MADE IN DEBATE

Maurice Bourget (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

I have studied this matter and come to a conclusion. May I refer hon. members to page 95 of Beauchesne, citation 104, subsection 5:

Question of Privilege

As a motion taken at the time for matters of privilege is thereby given precedence over the prearranged program of public business, the Speaker requires to be satisfied, both that there is a prima facie case that a breach of privilege has been committed, and also that the matter is being raised at the earliest opportunity.

A certain amount of leeway has been allowed in connection with this matter. We are dealing with a new member who was speaking on the address. He has not added to his remarks, he has simply taken out a sentence which does not alter the context of his remarks. I suggest to hon. members that there is no prima facie case that a breach of privilege has been committed. I suggest that a mistake has been made by an hon. member for which he has apologized and which he has attempted to correct.

(Translation):

Having heard the explanation given by the hon. member for lles-de-la-Madeleine, I am of the opinion that the matter is now closed.

Will the house allow me to add that suggested changes concerning remarks made in the house must be confined to correction of errors and essential minor alterations.

(Text):

In other words, if hon. members will refer to the back cover of Friday's Hansard they will see there a notation by the editor to the effect that suggested changes must be confined to the correction of errors and essential minor alterations.

(Translation):

The same thing is said in French.

(Text):

Under the circumstances, an apology having been given and an explanation having been offered to the house, I think the matter should rest there.

(Translation):

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. SAUVE CORRECTION OP REMARKS MADE IN DEBATE

Louis-Joseph Pigeon

Mr. Pigeon:

Mr. Speaker, I bow to your decision but I am of the opinion that it would be in the interest of the house if the hon. member for Ilcs-de-la-Madeleine-

(Text):

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. SAUVE CORRECTION OP REMARKS MADE IN DEBATE

Maurice Bourget (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

Order, please; I think the matter has been dealt with sufficiently.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. SAUVE CORRECTION OP REMARKS MADE IN DEBATE

WEST BLOCK

ARRANGEMENTS FOR MEMBERS TO SEE FACILITIES USED BY NATO

Jean-Paul Deschatelets (Minister of Public Works)

Hon. J. P. Deschaieleis (Minister of Public Works):

I should like to announce, Mr. Speaker, that arrangements have been made

with you to show a group of members interested the accommodation which was used by NATO in the west block. Any members who wish to see these rooms should meet at 2 p.m. this afternoon at the main entrance of the centre block. Officials of the public works department will accompany the group on this occasion.

Topic:   WEST BLOCK
Subtopic:   ARRANGEMENTS FOR MEMBERS TO SEE FACILITIES USED BY NATO

INQUIRY AS TO AVAILABILITY OF SEATING PLANS

On the orders of the day:

Richard Russell Southam

Mr. R. R. Souiham (Moose Mountain):

wish to direct a question to the Secretary of State. Would the minister advise the house when the queen's printer will have seating plans available in order that hon. members may be able to recognize their new colleagues by name and riding?

Topic:   INQUIRY AS TO AVAILABILITY OF SEATING PLANS

Hon. J. W. Pickersgill (Secretary of State):

I believe the seating plans are being printed at the present time. I hope they will be available if not today, then tomorrow.

Topic:   INQUIRY AS TO AVAILABILITY OF SEATING PLANS

OPERATION OF CAFETERIA IN CENTRE BLOCK

On the orders of the day:

Julia Verlyn (Judy) LaMarsh (Minister of Amateur Sport; Minister of National Health and Welfare)

Hon. Judy V. LaMarsh (Minister of National Health and Welfare):

Mr. Speaker, yesterday the hon. member for Vancouver East directed a question to the house leader which, in my new capacity as housekeeper, was referred to me.

I wish to inform hon. members and those employees of the house who are interested in this matter that I have been advised by the house leader that arrangements have now been made to set up a committee of the house later this day to deal with the matter. In the interim I am pleased to inform the house, as a matter of rapid decision, that effective today arrangements have now been made to serve packaged sandwiches, soup, juices, milk, coffee and chocolate bars between the hours of 10 a.m. and 10 p.m. in the centre block cafeteria. Perhaps I should also point out to all hon. members that of course more complete cafeteria service is available in the west block.

Topic:   OPERATION OF CAFETERIA IN CENTRE BLOCK