May 27, 1963

PRIVILEGE

MR. PIGEON ALLEGED ALTERATION IN TEXT OF "HANSARD"

Louis-Joseph Pigeon

Mr. L. J. Pigeon (Jolielle-L'Assompiion-Monlcalm):

I rise on a question of privilege, Mr. Speaker. The hon. member from Iles-de-la-Madeleine (Mr. Sauve) on May 22 made a speech in this house and later deleted an important part of it.

And to prove what I have just said, I refer to the Ottawa Citizen of May 25, 1963, and I quote:

(Text):

But he also spoke of the "last chance," and at the height of his oratory threw in a statement, following a list of Quebec complaints, that when "the bombs explode in Montreal, the people are astonished in Ottawa". (He later had that passage struck from the Hansard record, saying it was absolutely contrary to his meaning to indicate that he thought there was a cause and effect relationship) .

(Translation):

Mr. Speaker, contrary to the rules of this house, the hon. member for Iles-de-la-Made-leine removed from his speech a passage which was quoted in the Ottawa Citizen.

In accordance with the rules of this house, the hon. member and yourself have to decide whether or not it would be advisable to have that passage included in the official report. (Text):

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. PIGEON ALLEGED ALTERATION IN TEXT OF "HANSARD"

John Whitney Pickersgill (Secretary of State of Canada; Leader of the Government in the House of Commons; Liberal Party House Leader)

Hon. J. W. Pickersgill (Secretary of State):

In the absence of the hon. member for Iles-de-la-Madeleine I wonder if I might say a word about the alleged question of privilege brought up by the hon. member for the hon. member for Joliette-l'Assomption-Montcalm. The hon. member has made a somewhat serious charge against the hon. member for lles-de-la-Madeleine and he has made it, not immediately after the Hansard appeared, but after the lapse of some time. It seems to me the appropriate course to take in the circumstances would be for Your Honour to take the point as notice and to defer dealing with it until the hon. member for Iles-de-la-Madeleine is here to speak for himself.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. PIGEON ALLEGED ALTERATION IN TEXT OF "HANSARD"

Louis-Joseph Pigeon

Mr. Pigeon:

The hon. member for Iles-de-la-Madeleine is not here. It is not our fault on this side. If it is possible I should appreciate having your comment on this question, Mr. Speaker.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. PIGEON ALLEGED ALTERATION IN TEXT OF "HANSARD"

Maurice Bourget (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

My comment is very simple.

I am taken slightly by surprise, as are others this morning, and I would like to compare the original text with the printed version before rendering any decision. One must obviously get the facts before rendering a decision. So I think the point made by the Secretary of State is well taken, and I would ask the permission of the house to delay any judgment on this matter until we have had a chance to find out what the facts really are.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. PIGEON ALLEGED ALTERATION IN TEXT OF "HANSARD"

THE MINISTRY

REPORTED ACTIVITIES OF MINISTER OF AGRICULTURE

On the orders of the day:

John George Diefenbaker (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Right Hon. J. G. Diefenbaker (Leader of the Opposition):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to direct a question to the Prime Minister. The Minister of Agriculture is absent, and it may be that the Prime Minister will want to wait until his return before replying. Does the Prime Minister consider it appropriate for a minister of the crown in charge of the portfolio of agriculture to be engaged in the auctioning of cattle at an auction sale, and is not such a course in his view not in keeping, as I believe it is not, with the proprieties that one expects?

Topic:   THE MINISTRY
Subtopic:   REPORTED ACTIVITIES OF MINISTER OF AGRICULTURE

Lester Bowles Pearson (Prime Minister)

Righi Hon. L. B. Pearson (Prime Minister):

Mr. Speaker, I received no notice of this question, and the Minister of Agriculture is not here. I will discuss the matter with the minister and on the basis of the facts I will be glad to reply tomorrow or the next day.

Topic:   THE MINISTRY
Subtopic:   REPORTED ACTIVITIES OF MINISTER OF AGRICULTURE

EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

On the orders of the day:

Percy Verner Noble

Mr. P. V. Noble (Grey Norih):

Mr. Speaker, I have a question for the Secretary of State for External Affairs. Is the minister aware that a final communique in respect of accomplishments at the recent NATO meeting was issued well in advance of the holding of the conference?

Topic:   THE MINISTRY
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   NATO-REPORTED EARLY ISSUE OF FINAL COMMUNIQUE

Paul Joseph James Martin (Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Hon. Paul Marlin (Secretary of Slale for External Affairs):

Mr. Speaker, the hon.

gentleman is not correct in the statement he has made. The communique that was issued at the end of the ministerial meeting on Friday last was not the communique that was

282 HOUSE OF

Inquiries of the Ministry originally proposed by certain member states at that ministerial meeting. The final communique represents a drafting effort that was made during the course of the meeting, and in very large measure it represents many of the suggestions made by the Canadian delegation.

Topic:   THE MINISTRY
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   NATO-REPORTED EARLY ISSUE OF FINAL COMMUNIQUE

On the orders of the day:

NDP

Harold Edward Winch

New Democratic Party

Mr. Harold E. Winch (Vancouver East):

Mr. Speaker, I would like to address a question to the Secretary of State for External Affairs. On Thursday last, May 23, I directed a question to the Prime Minister relative to newspaper reports of Canadian commitments to NATO. The Prime Minister replied in part as follows, an found at page 171 of Hansard of that date:

The Secretary of State for External Affairs will be reporting to the house on this matter on Monday, when the council meeting is over.

May I ask the Secretary of State for External Affairs, is that report going to be made, as promised by the Prime Minister last week?

Topic:   THE MINISTRY
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   REQUEST FOR REPORT ON OTTAWA CONFERENCE

Paul Joseph James Martin (Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Hon. Paul Martin (Secretary of State for External Affairs):

Yes, Mr. Speaker, that commitment too will be observed when I speak in the debate this afternoon.

Topic:   THE MINISTRY
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   REQUEST FOR REPORT ON OTTAWA CONFERENCE

On the orders of the day:

NDP

Herbert Wilfred Herridge

New Democratic Party

Mr. H. W. Herridge (Kootenay West):

Mr. Speaker, I wish to address a question to the Secretary of State for External Affairs. In view of reports in various United States newspapers last year and recently and in other periodicals that an organization of German industrialists is financing a world wide publicity campaign to promote the hard line in the cold war, and in view of the fact that the United States state department, justice department and senate foreign relations committee are now seeking information about the organization and purpose of this group, has the minister any knowledge concerning the activities of this organization and, if so, has he any information he can give the house?

Topic:   THE MINISTRY