May 23, 1963

HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN

REPLY TO DECLARATION OF LOYALTY ON CELEBRATION OF BIRTHDAY

Maurice Bourget (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

I have the honour to inform the house that in accordance with the wishes of hon. members the other day a message was forwarded to Her Majesty expressing the loyalty and devotion of members of this house to Her Majesty on the occasion of the celebration in Canada of Her Majesty's birthday.

In reply I have received the following message:

Buckingham Palace May 23, 1963

The Speaker,

House of Commons,

Ottawa.

I have received your message with very great pleasure. Please convey my sincere thanks to the members of the House of Commons in parliament assembled for their kind and loyal expression on the occasion of the celebration of my birthday.

Topic:   HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN
Subtopic:   REPLY TO DECLARATION OF LOYALTY ON CELEBRATION OF BIRTHDAY

Joseph Angelo Macaluso

Mr. Joseph Macaluso (Hamilton West) moved

for leave to introduce Bill No. C-66, to amend the Canadian Citizenship Act (grant of certificate).

Topic:   ELIZABETH R. CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP ACT PROVISION FOR GRANTING OF CERTIFICATES IN SPECIAL CASES

Some hon. Members:

Explain.

Joseph Angelo Macaluso

Mr. Macaluso:

Mr. Speaker, the bill I propose to introduce is entitled "An act to amend the Canadian Citizenship Act (grant of certificate)". The purpose of the bill is this. In the Canadian citizenship courts today there are many wives of Canadian citizens who are not granted their citizenship papers because they do not know enough of the English or French language. This is because some of these wives who live in isolated areas and places, and even in urban areas, are not able to assimilate enough of the English or French language to learn sufficient to enable them to receive their citizenship certificates. This bill is to provide that in special cases where a wife has been in Canada for 10 or 15 years but is still not sufficiently

knowledgeable in the English or French language-and there are cases where the children of such a person have become citizens of this country along with her husband-she may be granted a certificate of citizenship.

Motion agreed to and bill read the first time.

On the orders of the day:

John George Diefenbaker (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Right Hon. J. G. Diefenbaker (Leader of the Opposition):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to ask the Prime Minister whether there is to be legislation introduced along the line indicated by Mr. Thatcher, the Liberal leader in Saskatchewan, in an interview which he gave, wherein he said that the Prime Minister was going to establish a five man liaison committee in Saskatchewan to work with a minister whose responsibility would be to look after Saskatchewan affairs. I should like to know whether this five man liaison committee will be set up by legislation, or what is the nature of this committee to which Mr. Thatcher has referred in such imposing terms.

Topic:   DOMINION-PROVINCIAL RELATIONS SASKATCHEWAN REPORTED INTENTION TO APPOINT LIAISON COMMITTEE

Lester Bowles Pearson (Prime Minister)

Right Hon. L. B. Pearson (Prime Minister):

Mr. Speaker, I can understand the interest of the right hon. gentleman in this matter, but I can assure him that this is purely a party matter and does not require legislation.

John George Diefenbaker (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Diefenbaker:

Mr. Speaker, I am glad to have that assurance that we are not going to have a constitutional monstrosity.

NDP

Douglas Mason Fisher

New Democratic Party

Mr. D. M. Fisher (Port Arthur):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to ask the Prime Minister whether he has under consideration appointing the gentleman referred to, Mr. Thatcher, to the other place and creating him minister without portfolio in order to look after Saskatchewan's affairs.

Lester Bowles Pearson (Prime Minister)

Mr. Pearson:

Mr. Speaker, I can understand the hon. gentleman's interest in the organization of our party, but I do not think it is necessary for me to whet that interest by telling him exactly how we propose to carry out this organization.

170 HOUSE OF

Inquiries of the Ministry GRAIN

WHEAT'-STEPS TO BE TAKEN TO PROTECT CANADIAN PRODUCERS

On the orders of the day:

NDP

Thomas Clement (Tommy) Douglas

New Democratic Party

Mr. T. C. Douglas (Burnaby-Coquiilam):

Mr. Speaker, before asking a question I would like to draw the attention of the house to a change in the seating arrangements of our party. Our caucus has selected the hon. member for Port Arthur (Mr. Fisher) as deputy house leader of our party, and I would like to welcome him to this position.

In directing my question to the Minister of Trade and Commerce I would like to welcome him back from the GATT conference, I hope with his head bloody but unbowed. In view of the United States farmers' vote in favour of the unhampered production of wheat, will the minister inform the house what steps the government intends to take to protect the interests of Canadian wheat producers, and whether he will initiate discussions with the government of the United States regarding a joint program for the orderly disposition of wheat surpluses?

Topic:   WHEAT'-STEPS TO BE TAKEN TO PROTECT CANADIAN PRODUCERS

Mitchell William Sharp (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Hon. Mitchell Sharp (Minister of Trade and Commerce):

Mr. Speaker, I have only been home a few hours but I will do my best to answer the question. As hon. members are aware, the vote of the United States farmers yesterday rejected their government's proposal for a new price support program which was to have started on July 1, 1964. I think it is premature to draw any inferences from this result until the subject has been further clarified because it is, of course, possible for the congress of the United States to take further action.

May I say, in reply to the specific question asked by the hon. member, that the government of Canada is in constant consultation with the United States government on the question of the orderly disposition of wheat surpluses. When I was in Geneva I had some discussions with the representatives of the United States government, and these will be followed up immediately.

Topic:   WHEAT'-STEPS TO BE TAKEN TO PROTECT CANADIAN PRODUCERS
NDP

Thomas Clement (Tommy) Douglas

New Democratic Party

Mr. Douglas:

Mr. Speaker, as a supplementary question may I ask the minister whether this means that the government will still be able to proceed with the implementation of its pledge to pay the farmers a guaranteed price of $2 a bushel for their wheat?

Topic:   WHEAT'-STEPS TO BE TAKEN TO PROTECT CANADIAN PRODUCERS

Mitchell William Sharp (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. Sharp:

I was not here, sir, but I understand that the Prime Minister made it clear this is a matter of government policy that will be announced in due course.

Topic:   WHEAT'-STEPS TO BE TAKEN TO PROTECT CANADIAN PRODUCERS