Is the Department of Fisheries considering the establishment of a dogfish bounty to encourage development of this industry in line with potential market possibilities?
BOUNTY ON DOGFISH
Mr. MacLean (Queens):
In the last five years, the Department of Fisheries has paid subsidies to encourage the catching of dogfish for meal production and oil production. In neither case has the result been satisfactory from the point of view of reducing stocks. However, I am prepared to consider any new proposals which offer a reasonable chance of success.
* CANADIAN IMMIGRATION FACILITIES IN POLAND
1. What were the facilities of the Canadian department of immigration in Poland in 1958?
2. What are the present facilities?
3. Who performs the medical examinations of prospective immigrants?
1. The Department of Citizenship and Immigration had no facilities of its own for the examination of immigrants in Poland in 1958.
2. The processing of applications for the admission of immigrants sponsored by residents of Canada is carried out by the Canadian embassy in Warsaw.
3. Immigrants from Poland are medically examined upon arrival in Canada; however, a preliminary examination is carried out by private practitioners in Poland. The results of their examinations are forwarded to Canada through the Canadian embassy in Warsaw.
COMMITTEE ON COMMUTER SYSTEM FOR TORONTO AREA
Has the federal government been invited by the Ontario provincial government to place a representative on the special committee to study the establishment of a co-ordinated commuters' railway system for the Toronto metropolitan and surrounding area?
A search of the records failed to indicate that any such invitation has been received.
CHANNEL AND HARBOUR IMPROVEMENT EXPENDITURES, LAKEHEAD
What specific amount of the nearly $11,000,000 that the Department of Public Works anticipates spending on channel and harbour improvements from the St. Lawrence river to the lakehead is earmarked for the lakehead?
From April 1, 1962, to
March 31, 1963, the end of the current fiscal year, the department anticipates spending nearly $11,000,000 of which slightly over one million will have been spent in the lakehead area.
* REGISTRATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT AND BENEFIT RECIPIENTS
1. What are the latest statistics of the unemployment insurance commission concerning the number of unemployed persons who registered for employment at the offices of the commission?
2. What are the latest statistics of the unemployment insurance commission concerning the number of unemployed persons who are receiving unemployment insurance benefits?
1 and 2. Figures are not compiled on the number of unemployed persons receiving unemployment insurance benefits on specified dates. The number of active claimants for unemployment insurance benefits on November 30th was 374,191. At that date the number of persons registered for employment at local offices of the national employment service was 456,756.
* SALARY INCREASES FOR CERTAIN CLASSES OF CIVIL SERVANTS IN MONTREAL
1. Does the government intend to increase immediately the salaries of assistant clerks, clerks grades 1 and 2 and typists grades 1 and 2, employed by the income tax division in Montreal who were not included when increases were granted lately to certain classes of civil servants?
2. Does the government intend to revise immediately the annual increase of $60 a year granted recently to the telephone operators and stenographers grades 1 and 2 employed by the income tax division in Montreal?
ST. EUSTACHE SUR LE LAC ALLEGED REQUEST FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF A POST OFFICE BUILDING
Has the government received a request for the construction of a post office building at St. Eustache sur le Lac, in the constituency of Argen-teuil-Deux Montagnes and, if so, (a) who made the request (b) when was it received by the government (c) is it the intention of the government to comply with the request?