January 28, 1963

PRIVILEGE

MR. PEARSON REFERENCE TO REMARK IN DEBATE BY PRIME MINISTER

Lester Bowles Pearson (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Hon. L. B. Pearson (Leader of the Opposition):

Mr. Speaker, I am raising a question of personal privilege arising out of a statement made by the Prime Minister in the house on Friday as reported in Hansard at page 3135. I have just had an opportunity of comparing that with the statement as it actually appeared in the press release issued by my office as to what I did say. The Prime Minister was quoting from a statement I made in Toronto on defence policy and he said:

I quote:

'Canada should contribute to the strategic nuclear deterrent."

At the time, Mr. Speaker, I raised the question that this was a misquotation. I asked the Prime Minister if he would read again the paragraph from which he was supposed to be quoting. Since that time, Mr. Speaker, I have had a chance of reviewing the text released and from which the Prime Minister was quoting. The Prime Minister only omitted one word, Mr. Speaker, from the sentence in question, but it was an important word. He omitted the word "not". The statement I made read "Canada should not contribute to the strategic nuclear deterrent".

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. PEARSON REFERENCE TO REMARK IN DEBATE BY PRIME MINISTER

John George Diefenbaker (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Righi Hon. J. G. Diefenbaker (Prime Minister):

The document I had before me was as I read it. I say to the hon. gentleman that if the document was incorrect, that is the one I sent to Hansard. In the face of his explanation, as always may I say that I accept it.

On the orders of the day:

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. PEARSON REFERENCE TO REMARK IN DEBATE BY PRIME MINISTER

Lester Bowles Pearson (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Hon. L. B. Pearson (Leader of the Opposition):

Mr. Speaker, in view of the fact that on Friday the Prime Minister quoted from a document which was a report of a statement I had made, and in view of the fact that the report he quoted differed in a vital respect from all other reports issued by my office, would the Prime Minister table

now or tomorrow the document in question from which he was quoting so that it may be identified and, if necessary, corrected?

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. PEARSON REFERENCE TO REMARK IN DEBATE BY PRIME MINISTER

SEARCH AND RESCUE

NORTHERN QUEBEC

Walter Gilbert Dinsdale (Minister of Northern Affairs and National Resources)

Hon. W. G. Dinsdale (Minister of Northern Affairs and National Resources):

I am sure the members of the House of Commons and Canadians everywhere will be profoundly thankful at the good news that the Norseman aircraft, which was the object of so wide a search between Payne bay and Fort Chimo in Arctic Quebec, has been found and that all eight people aboard are well and now safely at Fort Chimo.

Some further details have reached us in which the house might be interested, Mr. Speaker. The pilot's name is Paul-Joseph Garon. There were six Eskimos on board and the northern administrator, Mr. A. F. Flucke. The Eskimos were Mrs. Lizzie Unga Kauki, who was 67 years of age; Mrs. Susie Kudluk, 49 years of age and her children, Jonas, 17, Marcussie, 14 and Victoria, 12; and Miss Mary Adlook, 35.

Word of the whereabouts of the downed aircraft was brought to Fort Chimo shortly before eight o'clock last night by the pilot of the aircraft and a young Eskimo, probably 17 year old Jonas, who struggled into Fort Chimo after a 60 mile trek in blistering January weather to bring the news of the aircraft's whereabouts.

Savage winter weather has made communications with Fort Chimo unusually difficult since the R.C.A.F. search began, but we have learned than an Otter aircraft of the Quebec provincial police flew to the area of the downed aircraft and brought the party in. We know, too, that the Norseman had a good supply of food aboard, including a load of seal meat that the Eskimos were taking to friends at Fort Chimo, and that they built a snow house as shelter from the weather.

What started as a routine flight of a northern administrator going about his duties on a winter day has become a story of courage and resourcefulness in the best Arctic tradition. We thank all those who were active in the search which brought about this successful conclusion.

Questions

Topic:   SEARCH AND RESCUE
Subtopic:   NORTHERN QUEBEC
Sub-subtopic:   ANNOUNCEMENT OF FINDING OF MISSING AIRCRAFT

QUESTIONS

(Questions answered orally are indicated by an asterisk.)

* INCOME TAX "SURPLUS STRIPS"

NDP

Mr. Fisher

New Democratic Party

1. What is the definition given by the Department of National Revenue (taxation division) to the procedure known colloquially amongst taxation accountants as "surplus strips"?

2. What estimate does the department make of the number of surplus strips carried out in Canada in 1961 and 1962, and the estimated amount of money saved by the corporate taxpayers from going into the taxation revenue?

3. Has the department considered appealing any surplus strip to the income tax appeal board and beyond in order to determine the legality of such a procedure?

4. If so, what sections of the Income Tax Act and its regulations are considered relevant to the matter?

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   * INCOME TAX "SURPLUS STRIPS"

Hugh John Flemming (Minister of National Revenue; Minister of Forestry)

Mr. Flemming (Victoria-Carlelon):

Return tabled.

On the orders of the day:

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   * INCOME TAX "SURPLUS STRIPS"
NDP

Douglas Mason Fisher

New Democratic Party

Mr. D. M. Fisher (Port Arthur):

I should like to ask the Minister of National Revenue if he would consider switching the answer to question No. 1,174 to a starred question instead of an order for return so the question and answer may be printed in Hansard. I ask this, Mr. Speaker, because the minister informed me there was no particular reason for not giving an oral answer except to save time. I would very much like to have the answer printed in Hansard, as was my intention when I asked the question.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   * INCOME TAX "SURPLUS STRIPS"

Marcel Joseph Aimé Lambert (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

If it is a very lengthy reply-

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   * INCOME TAX "SURPLUS STRIPS"
NDP

Douglas Mason Fisher

New Democratic Party

Mr. Fisher:

No, it is very short, Mr. Speaker.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   * INCOME TAX "SURPLUS STRIPS"

Marcel Joseph Aimé Lambert (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

It would require unanimous consent to revert to questions, and I do not know whether this consent is forthcoming.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   * INCOME TAX "SURPLUS STRIPS"

Some hon. Members:

Agreed.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   * INCOME TAX "SURPLUS STRIPS"

Marcel Joseph Aimé Lambert (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Let us proceed one step at a time. We are now going to leave orders of the day-

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   * INCOME TAX "SURPLUS STRIPS"
NDP

Stanley Howard Knowles (N.D.P. House Leader; Whip of the N.D.P.)

New Democratic Party

Mr. Knowles:

We have not completed orders of the day.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   * INCOME TAX "SURPLUS STRIPS"

January 28, 1963