December 13, 1962

SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL

REPLY TO FELICITATIONS ON 88TH BIRTHDAY ANNIVERSARY

John George Diefenbaker (Prime Minister)

Right Hon. J. G. Diefenbaker (Prime Minister):

Mr. Speaker, following the passage of the motion of this house congratulating Sir Winston Churchill on the occasion of his 88th birthday anniversary, I forwarded to him the motion which was passed by the house as well as a copy of the Hansard in question. I now have received from him the following letter:

My dear Prime Minister:

I am deeply obliged to you for your letter of December 1 which I received today. The honour which the Canadian House of Commons has accorded me means much to me and to my family. I should be glad if you would convey to the house my warm thanks and my profound and affectionate respect.

Yours very sincerely,

Winston S. Churchill

Topic:   SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL
Subtopic:   REPLY TO FELICITATIONS ON 88TH BIRTHDAY ANNIVERSARY

Some hon. Members:

Hear, hear.

Topic:   SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL
Subtopic:   REPLY TO FELICITATIONS ON 88TH BIRTHDAY ANNIVERSARY

ANNOUNCEMENT OF FINAL PAYMENT ON 1961-62 POOL

Francis Alvin George Hamilton (Minister of Agriculture)

Hon. Alvin Hamilton (Minister of Agriculture):

I have a statement to make to the house with regard to the 1961-62 barley pool.

The 1961-62 barley pool has now been closed and the government has authorized the distribution of the final surplus on producers' deliveries of 56,372,547.9 bushels. The final surplus is $17,037,035.43. After deducting the Prairie Farm Assistance Act levy and final payment costs, and after adding estimated additional interest earnings, the final payment on the 1961-62 barley account will average 30.2 cents per bushel. This compares with an average final payment of 8.4 cents per bushel in the case of the 1960-61 pool.

The final payments for the principal grades of barley delivered to the 1961-62 pool are as follows:

Cents

Grade per bushel

No. 2 Canada western six row 31.725No. 3 Canada western six row 31.725No. 2 Canada western two row 36.675No. 3 Canada western two row 34.324No. 1 feed 28.879No. 2 feed 31.849No. 3 feed 35.809

The first cheques with respect to this pool will be issued shortly following this announcement.

Topic:   ANNOUNCEMENT OF FINAL PAYMENT ON 1961-62 POOL

Hazen Robert Argue

Mr. Hazen Argue (Assiniboia):

Mr. Speaker, the announcement which has just been made by the Minister of Agriculture might well have been anticipated at about this time. The announcement that a payment on barley averaging 30.2 cents per bushel is about to be made by the Canadian wheat board indicates a payment considerably higher than the final payment that has been made in recent years. However, it is also a higher payment on a much smaller quantity of barley than is customary. This, of course, reflects the fact that the crop last year was very small, and with a small supply and a good demand the selling prices of the wheat board were higher than in recent years. The farmers of western Canada await with much greater anticipation the announcement of a final payment-interim and/or final; I would hope the whole works, because it belongs to the farmers-on the 1961-62 wheat crop.

Topic:   ANNOUNCEMENT OF FINAL PAYMENT ON 1961-62 POOL
SC

Horace Andrew (Bud) Olson

Social Credit

Mr. Horace A. Olson (Medicine Hat):

Mr. Speaker, all I wish to say is that we in this party welcome this announcement which has been made, and I am sure the barley producers of Canada will appreciate their cheques as soon as possible.

Topic:   ANNOUNCEMENT OF FINAL PAYMENT ON 1961-62 POOL

INQUIRY AS TO FINAL PAYMENT ON

1961 CROP On the orders of the day:

Hazen Robert Argue

Mr. Hazen Argue (Assiniboia):

Mr. Speaker, I wonder whether I could ask the Minister of Agriculture when the farmers of western Canada may expect an announcement on the final wheat payment for the 1961-62 crop year. I think they are expecting an announcement shortly.

Inquiries of the Ministry

Topic:   INQUIRY AS TO FINAL PAYMENT ON

Francis Alvin George Hamilton (Minister of Agriculture)

Hon. Alvin Hamilion (Minister of Agriculture):

Mr. Speaker, I think I explained to the house once before that the usual time to make this payment is about the month of July. As this is the month of December and we have seven more months to wait, I would expect the announcement to be made some time between Christmas and next July.

Topic:   INQUIRY AS TO FINAL PAYMENT ON

Hazen Robert Argue

Mr. Argue:

A supplementary question. Since the announcement of the last payment was made in February of this year, not July, after selling the crop for a nine month period, I wonder whether we could have another nine month selling period in order that the farmers may be paid now?

Topic:   INQUIRY AS TO FINAL PAYMENT ON

Francis Alvin George Hamilton (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. Hamilton:

Mr. Speaker, I am constantly being surprised and appalled by the ignorance of the hon. member for Assiniboia.

Topic:   INQUIRY AS TO FINAL PAYMENT ON

Marcel Joseph Aimé Lambert (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. Both the supplementary and the answer I think are way off base.

Topic:   INQUIRY AS TO FINAL PAYMENT ON

COLUMBIA RIVER

REPORTED DEADLINE FOR AGREEMENT OF ERITISH COLUMBIA

On the orders of the day:

Lester Bowles Pearson (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Hon. L. B. Pearson (Leader of ihe Opposition):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to ask the Prime Minister whether he is in a position to comment on a report that the government had set a deadline for the agreement of the province of British Columbia to the Columbia development treaty as now formulated.

Right Hon. J. G. Diefenbaker (Prime

Minister): Mr. Speaker, I am unaware of the item in question, but I can say that no deadline has been set.

Topic:   COLUMBIA RIVER