April 12, 1962

Douglas Scott Harkness (Minister of National Defence)

Mr. Harkness:

The allegation which has just been made is completely inaccurate. At the present time there are six destroyer escorts under construction, and they are at six different yards.

Topic:   ROYAL CANADIAN NAVY
Subtopic:   ALLOCATION OF CONTRACTS UNDER CONSTRUCTION PROGRAM

PUBLIC BUILDINGS

EAST ANGUS, QUE.-SALE OF POST OFFICE

On the orders of the day:

Azellus Denis

Mr. Azellus Denis (St. Denis):

Mr. Speaker,

I wish to direct a question to the Minister of Public Works. According to an article in La Tribune of April 5 the government is about to sell the post office building at East Angus. It is reported that the Tory candidate in Compton-Frontenac, Mr. Bill Clifford, is responsible for the sale of that building at a reduced price. If that report is correct can the minister assure the house that the public interest will be well protected?

Topic:   PUBLIC BUILDINGS
Subtopic:   EAST ANGUS, QUE.-SALE OF POST OFFICE

Georges-J. Valade

Mr. Georges Valade (Si. Mary):

Mr. Speaker, I rise on a point of order. I regret that as a backbencher I have to rise and call the attention of hon. members to the rules of the house. I refer to citation 177 of Beauchesne's fourth edition, which refers to the question-

Topic:   PUBLIC BUILDINGS
Subtopic:   EAST ANGUS, QUE.-SALE OF POST OFFICE

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. The hon. member may raise a point of order with respect to some incident that has happened, but if he wishes to raise a point of order in general with respect to the entire opposition, I am afraid that would be rather novel.

Topic:   PUBLIC BUILDINGS
Subtopic:   EAST ANGUS, QUE.-SALE OF POST OFFICE

Georges-J. Valade

Mr. Valade:

Mr. Speaker, I refer to the question just asked by the hon. member for St. Denis.

Topic:   PUBLIC BUILDINGS
Subtopic:   EAST ANGUS, QUE.-SALE OF POST OFFICE

Augustin Brassard

Mr. Brassard (Lapointe):

We have a

Speaker, by the way.

Topic:   PUBLIC BUILDINGS
Subtopic:   EAST ANGUS, QUE.-SALE OF POST OFFICE

Georges-J. Valade

Mr. Valade:

I think there is an important lesson here which may be presented by backbenchers. I refer to citation 177 of Beauchesne's fourth edition, which states in part:

Reading telegrams, letters or extracts from newspapers as an opening to a question when the orders of the day are called is an abuse of the rules of the house.

Further along it says:

It is the member's duty to ascertain the truth of any statement before he brings it to the attention of parliament.

2896 HOUSE OF

Inquiries of the Ministry Mr. Brassard (Lapointe): Was the hon.

member here in 1956?

Topic:   PUBLIC BUILDINGS
Subtopic:   EAST ANGUS, QUE.-SALE OF POST OFFICE

Georges-J. Valade

Mr. Valade:

Before the question was

answered I merely wished to direct the attention of the hon. member for St. Denis to this rule.

Topic:   PUBLIC BUILDINGS
Subtopic:   EAST ANGUS, QUE.-SALE OF POST OFFICE

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Of course the question has been disposed of and answered now, and it may be that the point is taken too late to be effective in this case; but there is a precedent for requiring an hon. member to take the responsibility for the truth of the facts on which he founds a question. I think perhaps unfortunately this has been overlooked a good deal in our practice. In any event, I think the point has perhaps now passed its usefulness.

Topic:   PUBLIC BUILDINGS
Subtopic:   EAST ANGUS, QUE.-SALE OF POST OFFICE

Azellus Denis

Mr. Denis:

Mr. Speaker, may I be permitted to say a word on the point of order. I wish to inform the house that I did not read a word of the newspaper clipping. The words I used were mine, and I take responsibility for them. I merely wished to inform the house that the Tory candidate is trying to sell a public building for almost nothing, and I feel the public interest should be protected.

Topic:   PUBLIC BUILDINGS
Subtopic:   EAST ANGUS, QUE.-SALE OF POST OFFICE

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. The hon. member is taking advantage of the floor to make statements that certainly are not in order.

Topic:   PUBLIC BUILDINGS
Subtopic:   EAST ANGUS, QUE.-SALE OF POST OFFICE

Lionel Chevrier (Official Opposition House Leader; Liberal Party House Leader)

Mr. Chevrier:

Government members do that repeatedly, sir.

(Translation):

Topic:   PUBLIC BUILDINGS
Subtopic:   EAST ANGUS, QUE.-SALE OF POST OFFICE

INQUIRY AS TO RECEIPT OF MODEL DESIGNS

On the orders of the day;

Louis-Joseph Pigeon

Mr. L. J. Pigeon (Jolietie-L'Assompiion-Montcalm):

Mr. Speaker, may I ask the Secretary of State if he has received designs of the various flags recommended by the Leader of the Opposition (Mr. Pearson)? If so, what are they?

Topic:   INQUIRY AS TO RECEIPT OF MODEL DESIGNS

Augustin Brassard

Mr. Augusiin Brassard (Lapointe):

Mr. Speaker, I wish to direct a question- (Text):

Topic:   INQUIRY AS TO RECEIPT OF MODEL DESIGNS

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

If the hon. member for Lapointe is asking a question supplementary to that asked by the hon. member for Joliette-L'Assomption-Montcalm may I point out I did not accept the previous question. (Translation):

Topic:   INQUIRY AS TO RECEIPT OF MODEL DESIGNS