February 14, 1962

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

I declare the motion lost.

Topic:   AGREEMENT FOR SALE OF WHEAT TO CHINA

WINTER WORKS PROGRAM, QUEBEC

Motion No. 15-Mr. Paul (for Mr. Martel): That an humble address be presented to His Excellency praying that he will cause to be laid before this house a copy of the correspondence exchanged between the federal government and the government of the province of Quebec, relating to the present winter works program.

Noël Dorion (President of the Privy Council; Secretary of State of Canada)

Mr. Dorion:

An order for return, with the reservation that the consent of the province be obtained.

Inquiries of the Ministry

Topic:   WINTER WORKS PROGRAM, QUEBEC

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

I did not hear what the minister said.

Topic:   WINTER WORKS PROGRAM, QUEBEC

Noël Dorion (President of the Privy Council; Secretary of State of Canada)

Mr. Dorion:

It is to be an order for return, with the usual reservation concerning consultation with the province.

Topic:   WINTER WORKS PROGRAM, QUEBEC

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Is the house prepared to accept Mr. Paul for the mover of this motion?

Topic:   WINTER WORKS PROGRAM, QUEBEC

Some hon. Members:

Agreed.

Topic:   WINTER WORKS PROGRAM, QUEBEC

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Is it the pleasure of the house to adopt the motion, subject to the reservation expressed by the minister?

Topic:   WINTER WORKS PROGRAM, QUEBEC

Motion agreed to.

TEXTILES

REPORTED WORLD AGREEMENT FOR REGULATION

On the orders of the day:

Lester Bowles Pearson (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Hon. L. B. Pearson (Leader of the Opposition):

I should like to ask the Minister of Finance a question arising out of a press report that a five year agreement for regulating world trade in cotton textiles was concluded at Geneva on February 9.

Is Canada a party to this agreement, and could the minister give us any indication of its nature.

Topic:   TEXTILES
Subtopic:   REPORTED WORLD AGREEMENT FOR REGULATION

Donald Methuen Fleming (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. Donald M. Fleming (Minister of Finance):

Mr. Speaker, I have had a preliminary report on this matter, and I think I might make a statement on it tomorrow.

Topic:   TEXTILES
Subtopic:   REPORTED WORLD AGREEMENT FOR REGULATION

Donald Methuen Fleming (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. Fleming (Eglinion):

Earlier this afternoon, Mr. Speaker, the Leader of the Opposition asked me a question concerning the long term cotton textile agreement. I am informed that the text of the agreement is to be made public on Friday. In reply to the question asked me this afternoon I said that I might make a statement on this matter tomorrow. I think now that I should reserve my statement until Friday for this reason.

Topic:   TEXTILES
Subtopic:   REPORTED WORLD AGREEMENT FOR REGULATION

INDUSTRIAL FAIR, INDIA INQUIRY AS TO PARTICIPANTS

On the orders of the day:

Guy Rouleau

Mr. Guy Rouleau (Dollard):

I should like to direct a question to the Minister of Trade and Commerce or, in his absence, to his parliamentary secretary. On Monday last, in answer to a question on the orders of the day, the minister said that Canada had not participated in the industrial fair held in India in 1961. Can the minister tell the house how many other countries participated in that fair?

Inquiries of the Ministry

Topic:   INDUSTRIAL FAIR, INDIA INQUIRY AS TO PARTICIPANTS

Edmund Leverett Morris (Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. E. L. Morris (Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Trade and Commerce):

We

believe eleven participated, Mr. Speaker; Britain, West Germany, Italy, Japan and the entire bloc of east European countries.

Topic:   INDUSTRIAL FAIR, INDIA INQUIRY AS TO PARTICIPANTS