March 16, 1961

GRAND'MERE, QUE. REPORTED CLOSING OF KNITTING MILLS

On the orders of the day:

Joseph-Adolphe Richard

Mr. J. A. Richard (St. Maurice-Lafleche):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to put a question to the Minister of National Revenue.

Is the minister aware that the Grand'Mere Knitting Mills and the Grand'Mere Handicraft, both located in the city of Grand'Mere in my riding, have permanently closed down.

According to an article published in yesterday evening's issue of La Presse, three hundred persons are out of work.

Has the government taken action in accordance with the powers conferred to the Minister of National Revenue under the legislation, either on its own or at the companies' request, in order to assist those industries?

Topic:   GRAND'MERE, QUE. REPORTED CLOSING OF KNITTING MILLS

Marcel Joseph Aimé Lambert (Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Revenue)

Mr. M. J. A. Lambert (Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Revenue):

The hon. member was good enough to send notice of this question to the minister. The minister and myself have discussed the matter and he assured me that he was unaware of this situation, but that he would inquire and report to the hon. member.

(Text):

Topic:   GRAND'MERE, QUE. REPORTED CLOSING OF KNITTING MILLS

Lionel Chevrier (Official Opposition House Leader; Liberal Party House Leader)

Hon. Lionel Chevrier (Laurier):

Mr. Speaker, may I ask the Minister of Labour a question arising out of that which was just asked by the hon. member for St. Maurice-Lafleche of the Minister of National Revenue, when reference was made to the 300 people who were put out of work at the knitting mills at Grand'Mere. The question is this. Could the minister tell us what measures the government is taking to see that alternative employment is found for those people?

Topic:   GRAND'MERE, QUE. REPORTED CLOSING OF KNITTING MILLS

Michael Starr (Minister of Labour)

Hon. Michael Starr (Minister of Labour):

Before I answer that question in detail I should like to have the opportunity to make a complete investigation of that situation, of which I am only at this moment aware. After doing so, then we can decide on the action to be taken.

Topic:   GRAND'MERE, QUE. REPORTED CLOSING OF KNITTING MILLS

J.-H.-Théogène Ricard

Mr. Theogene Ricard (St. Hyacinthe-Bagot):

I would like to ask a supplementary question. Would the minister also find out the number of those persons in the St. Hyacinthe district who have found employment with the Goodyear Cotton Company of Canada Limited?

Topic:   GRAND'MERE, QUE. REPORTED CLOSING OF KNITTING MILLS

GLEN EXELBY

REQUEST FOR TABLING OF CORRESPONDENCE

On the orders of the day:

John Whitney Pickersgill

Hon. J. W. Pickersgill (Bonavista-Twillin-gate):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to ask the Minister of Labour whether he has replied to the letter he received from Mr. Exelby, and if so, would the minister table the letter in the house in order to complete the record?

Topic:   GLEN EXELBY
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR TABLING OF CORRESPONDENCE

Michael Starr (Minister of Labour)

Hon. Michael Starr (Minister of Labour):

Mr. Speaker, I have replied and I have no hesitation in tabling my reply.

Topic:   GLEN EXELBY
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR TABLING OF CORRESPONDENCE
CCF

Frank Howard

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Frank Howard (Skeena):

Mr. Speaker, I have a question supplementary to that asked by the hon. member for Bonavista-Twillingate of the Minister of Labour a few minutes ago. Does the minister not think it would make the record clearer if other hon. members who may have had such correspondence also tabled it?

Topic:   GLEN EXELBY
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR TABLING OF CORRESPONDENCE

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Order.

Topic:   GLEN EXELBY
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR TABLING OF CORRESPONDENCE

COMMONWEALTH RELATIONS

SOUTH AFRICA

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Hazen Robert Argue

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Hazen Argue (Assiniboia):

I should like to direct a question to the Acting Prime Minister. Can the Acting Prime Minister say whether, since South Africa has announced it is leaving the commonwealth, there will be an automatic economic penalty by this nation losing its trade preference with Canada?

Topic:   COMMONWEALTH RELATIONS
Subtopic:   SOUTH AFRICA
Sub-subtopic:   PREFERENCE

Howard Charles Green (Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Hon. Howard C. Green (Acting Prime Minister):

As I explained to the house yesterday, South Africa has withdrawn its application for re-entry into the commonwealth after becoming a republic on May 31. For the time being she continues to be a member of the commonwealth.

With regard to the latter half of the question of the hon. member for Assiniboia, may I suggest that in fairness it is not very helpful for Canadians to start advocating that there be reprisals of any kind against South Africa.

Topic:   COMMONWEALTH RELATIONS
Subtopic:   SOUTH AFRICA
Sub-subtopic:   PREFERENCE
CCF

Hazen Robert Argue

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Argue:

A supplementary question. Do I take it from the Acting Prime Minister's answer that South Africa will enjoy all the commonwealth trade preferences even while following the apartheid policy which resulted in being forced to leave the commonwealth?

Topic:   COMMONWEALTH RELATIONS