March 10, 1961

PRIVILEGE

MR. FLEMING (EGLINTON) REFERENCE TO RE- MARKS IN DEBATE ON MARCH 9

Donald Methuen Fleming (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. Donald M. Fleming (Minister of Finance):

Mr. Speaker, I rise on a question of privilege. Last evening when I was not in the house the hon. member for Assiniboia made certain statements which I think reflect on me. They are to be found on pages 2841 and 2844 of Hansard, and I read them:

A few weeks ago the Minister of Finance said in this house that one of the reasons why there is so much trouble today with regard to unemployment is because of the wartime babies. He said there were too many wartime babies and they are now old enough to be on the labour market. He said, "We cannot deal with the love life of Canadians and the new citizens we have who are coming of working age. There were too many wartime babies." We asked why so many people are on the unemployment rolls. "Too many pregnant women drawing unemployment insurance who should not be receiving it." Some answer.

That is on page 2841. On page 2844 the hon. member said further:

The Minister of Finance said that one of the reasons the government was having a difficult time achieving a full employment economy was the high birth rate during the war. If the hon. gentleman will read the remarks carefully he will find this in the speech.

And further, speaking of myself the hon. member said:

He said that this was the reason unemployment was so high and he could not do anything about it.

And again:

Except there were too many people coming of employment age and the government could not do anything about employment.

The remarks attributed to me, Mr. Speaker, have never been uttered by me. What I did say on this subject is a matter of record in the house and could have been quoted precisely from the record by any hon. member wishing to refer to my remarks in their proper context. They are to be found on page 1001 of Hansard and read as follows:

.. . the growth of our labour force is now more directly attributable to the coming of age, from an employment point of view at least, of the large number of babies who were born in Canada during and immediately after the war.

You will observe, Mr. Speaker, that the remarks attributed to me by the hon. member

for Assiniboia bear no resemblance whatever to what I actually did say, and the best that can be said for his remarks is that they are an irresponsible distortion of what I said.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. FLEMING (EGLINTON) REFERENCE TO RE- MARKS IN DEBATE ON MARCH 9

MR. STARR REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MARCH 9

Michael Starr (Minister of Labour)

Hon. Michael Starr (Minister of Labour):

Mr. Speaker, I rise on a question of privilege.

Topic:   MR. STARR REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MARCH 9

Paul Joseph James Martin

Mr. Martin (Essex East):

We have a very sensitive government this morning.

Topic:   MR. STARR REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MARCH 9

Michael Starr (Minister of Labour)

Mr. Starr:

I rise at this time because of remarks made by the hon. member for Bon-avista-Twillingate. I did not rise last night, Mr. Speaker, because I wished to study the statements of the hon. member in the report of the proceedings.

Topic:   MR. STARR REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MARCH 9

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

I wonder whether the minister has given sufficient reason for deferring his objection. After all, he was in the house last night when the remarks about which he now wishes to complain were made, and I am very sceptical about the desirability of a practice which allows members to go back and pick up what has been said and debate the matter. The Minister of Finance was not in the house and in such circumstances where there is a real injustice or cause of complaint I have not objected to the matter being raised as a delayed complaint.

The rule is clear, however, that a point of order or privilege must be taken at the time it arises. If the Minister of Labour feels that there is any exceptional circumstance which takes him out of the rule I will hear him, but I would hope he would not want to establish a practice which, to my mind, would be very harmful to the proper conduct of the business of the house.

Topic:   MR. STARR REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MARCH 9

Michael Starr (Minister of Labour)

Mr. Starr:

I always have great respect for the rules of the house, and I shall abide by your ruling.

Topic:   MR. STARR REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MARCH 9

EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

Howard Charles Green (Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Hon. Howard C. Green (Secretary of State for External Affairs):

On January 20 I informed the house that the Canadian government and the governments of the republics of Costa Rica, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama had decided to establish diplomatic

Appointment of Ambassador relations. I now wish to announce the appointment of Mr. Jean-Louis Delisle as ambassador of Canada to these four Central American republics. Mr. Delisle will normally reside in Costa Rica but will pay regular visits to the other three countries to which he is accredited. The Canadian embassy in Costa Rica will be opened next week under a charge d'affaires ad interim, pending Mr. Delisle's arrival in May. Arrangements are being made for reciprocal representation of the four republics in Ottawa.

Mr. Delisle, a native of Quebec city, is a career foreign service officer who has served Canada with distinction at home and abroad for nearly 20 years. He is a graduate in law from Laval University and holds a degree from Oxford, where he was a Rhodes scholar in 1939. Since joining the Department of External Affairs in 1942 he has served in Rio de Janeiro, Boston, and Warsaw, where he was charge d'affaires from 1954 until 1957. In the following year he served as a member of the United Nations commission in Togoland which paved the way for that country's independence in 1960. Subsequently he served as head of the legal division of the Department of External Affairs and since September 1959 has been counsellor in charge of press and cultural relations at the Canadian embassy in Paris.

Central America has been until now one of the areas in which Canada was seriously under-represented, mainly because of the heavy demands that have been made on a growing foreign service in other parts of the world. The government's decision to expand Canada's relations with that area is a further step in a policy of fostering closer economic, political and cultural ties with Latin America as a whole.

Topic:   MR. STARR REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MARCH 9
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   APPOINTMENT OF AMBASSADOR TO CERTAIN CENTRAL AMERICAN REPUBLICS

Paul Joseph James Martin

Hon. Paul Martin (Essex East):

This further announcement indicates the expansion of Canada's diplomatic missions in Latin America. The minister does not say whether or not this appointment and the opening of the new mission is part of the government's policy of giving further consideration to membership in the organization of American states. On some other occasion, if not today, I would hope the minister might also deal with a matter to which he referred last session having to do with the opening of another mission, namely in Iraq in the Middle East.

Topic:   MR. STARR REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MARCH 9
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   APPOINTMENT OF AMBASSADOR TO CERTAIN CENTRAL AMERICAN REPUBLICS
CCF

Herbert Wilfred Herridge

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. H. W. Herridge (Kootenay West):

The announcement by the Secretary of State for External Affairs of this increase in the representation to South American countries will, without a doubt, increase the understanding between the nations concerned. We are, therefore, gratified to hear of the appointment of such able and experienced personnel.

Topic:   MR. STARR REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MARCH 9
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   APPOINTMENT OF AMBASSADOR TO CERTAIN CENTRAL AMERICAN REPUBLICS

LABOUR CONDITIONS

GLEN EXELBY

On the orders of the day:

Lionel Chevrier (Official Opposition House Leader; Liberal Party House Leader)

Hon. Lionel Chevrier (Laurier):

Mr. Speaker, may I direct a question to the Minister of Labour and ask him how long he had known that the national employment service was co-operating in the production of the program "Close-Up" featuring the Exelbys before he made his statement in the house?

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   GLEN EXELBY
Sub-subtopic:   EMPLOYMENT SERVICE CO-OPERA- TION IN C.B.C. PROGRAM "CLOSE-UP"

Michael Starr (Minister of Labour)

Hon. Michael Starr (Minister of Labour):

Mr. Speaker, I did not know about this program until the evening when it was produced and I saw it.

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   GLEN EXELBY
Sub-subtopic:   EMPLOYMENT SERVICE CO-OPERA- TION IN C.B.C. PROGRAM "CLOSE-UP"

Lionel Chevrier (Official Opposition House Leader; Liberal Party House Leader)

Mr. Chevrier:

I have a supplementary

question. May I ask the minister whether the officers who co-operated in the program had read the whole script?

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   GLEN EXELBY
Sub-subtopic:   EMPLOYMENT SERVICE CO-OPERA- TION IN C.B.C. PROGRAM "CLOSE-UP"

March 10, 1961