March 2, 1961

COMMITTEES OF THE HOUSE

INDIAN AFFAIRS-CONCURRENCE IN FIRST REPORT OF JOINT COMMITTEE

Mr. Lucien Grenier (Bonaventure) presented the first report of the joint committee on Indian affairs and moved that the report he concurred in. Motion agreed to. Fifth report of standing committee on standing orders-Miss Aitken.

AGRICULTURE

SUGAR BEETS-ANNOUNCEMENT OF SUPPORT PRICE

Donald Methuen Fleming (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. Donald M. Fleming (Minister of Finance):

As a result of the unavoidable absence of my colleague the Minister of Agriculture, may I on his behalf make a short statement which follows negotiations he and I have had with representatives of the sugar refining company involved and the Ontario government.

The agricultural stabilization board has been authorized to support the price of sugar beets for the year 1961. This will stabilize the returns to sugar beet growers in the sugar beet growing areas, namely in Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba and Alberta. Sugar beets for 1961 will be supported on the basis of $13.18, national average price per ton for beets yielding 16 per cent sugar, which is 102 per cent of the 10-year national average price. The prescribed national support price of $13.18 per ton for sugar beets yielding 16 per cent sugar is equivalent to the national average support price in 1960 of $14.23 per ton for sugar beets yielding 17 per cent sugar.

As a result, the support price arrangements for producers in Quebec, Manitoba and Alberta will remain unchanged from last year, and any deficiency payments will be equal to the difference between the prescribed price of $13.18 per ton of sugar beets and the national average price per ton received by producers.

In view of difficulties facing the Ontario sugar beet industry in 1961, a special arrangement, for one year only will apply to sugar beets grown in that province. The Ontario growers have represented to the governments that a return of $13 per ton was

essential to meet their requirements. The processing company has undertaken to raise its purchase price by 50 cents a ton above the original offer. The province of Ontario will make a contribution, equal to 50 cents per ton, toward deficiency payments, payable in that province. Through the co-operation of the company and the province, Ontario growers will be assured of a market at a satisfactory return.

Paul Joseph James Martin

Hon. Paul Marlin (Essex Easl):

Mr. Speaker, I thank the Minister of Finance for this announcement. He will know undoubtedly that several times since the middle of January I have asked the Minister of Agriculture to announce a sugar beet policy for Canada which, he said in the middle of January speaking in Chatham, would be announced within the course of a few days.

Though this announcement comes rather late it is nevertheless very acceptable. When I indicated in the house the other day that in southwestern Ontario seeding operations would begin possibly by the end of March and on that account there ought to be an announcement forthwith, some hon. members did not seem to concur in this statement of fact. But Mr. Bissonet of Stony Point, a well know sugar beet farmer in my riding, said the other day, an announcement of government policy was something that was necessary. The minister recognizes the special situation which attends the Ontario sugar beet farmer, and which puts him in a position somewhat different from that of the sugar beet growers of Quebec and western Canada. Certainly the sugar beet grower in Ontario does not have the transportation freight advantage that exists in the case of the sugar beet grower in western Canada, and that has put him in a difficult position.

It has now been decided that there should be a floor price of $13.18 and the Ontario government is going to assist in the matter somewhat, to the extent of 50 cents a ton. The company has undertaken to make a contribution notwithstanding its alleged loss on its operations with regard to sugar beets in the factory at Chatham, Ontario. I am glad to see the Ontario government providing this assistance. It is emulating the practice of the government of the province of Quebec, a government that has for the past year or so been extending similar assistance.

Some hon. Members:

Order.

Support Price for Sugar Beets

Subtopic:   SUGAR BEETS-ANNOUNCEMENT OF SUPPORT PRICE

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. The hon. member for Essex East is getting a bit far afield in his comment on the factual statement.

Paul Joseph James Martin

Mr. Martin (Essex East):

Mr. Speaker, with great respect I do not believe I am. I was just about to point out that the Minister of Finance has said that the Ontario government is going to give some assistance, and that this practice has now been followed for some time in the province of Quebec. I do not see that there is anything wrong in that statement. The fact that it enrages hon. gentlemen opposite does not make it out of order.

Gordon Harvey Aiken

Mr. G. H. Aiken (Parry Sound-Muskoka):

Mr. Speaker, I understood that you made a ruling that the hon. member was out of order in discussing the political aspects of this question.

Subtopic:   SUGAR BEETS-ANNOUNCEMENT OF SUPPORT PRICE

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

I expressed my view that the hon. member was going rather far afield, but if the hon. member for Parry Sound-Muskoka will read the rule he will find when a point of order is taken the member concerned has the right to express his view on it before the matter is made final. I do not disagree with what the hon. member for Essex East was saying, but it seemed to me that he did in fact go a little further than he acknowledged when he spoke to the point of order. I hope he will confine himself strictly to the factual content of the statement so that it will not be necessary for me to rise again.

Paul Joseph James Martin

Mr. Martin (Essex East):

Mr. Speaker, in regard to this policy I am supporting the government. This is a matter that concerns farmers in my area and I propose, subject to the rules of this house, to exercise my right. Every time the hon. member for Essex East rises to discuss an important matter of government policy-

Some hon. Members:

Order.

Paul Joseph James Martin

Mr. Marlin (Essex East):

-hon. gentlemen opposite seem to delight in making his task extremely difficult.

Subtopic:   SUGAR BEETS-ANNOUNCEMENT OF SUPPORT PRICE

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. All hon. members of the house will recognize the force of what has been said and the susceptibilities of the hon. member for Essex East. I trust the hon. member for Essex East does not consider that he is discussing an important matter of government policy because there is no debate. The hon. member is entitled to make limited comment in a non-debating and uncontroversial manner.

Paul Joseph James Martin

Mr. Martin (Essex East):

I believe that is exactly what I have been doing.

Some hon. Members:

Oh, oh.

Paul Joseph James Martin

Mr. Martin (Essex East):

I know that hon. gentlemen find everything-

Subtopic:   SUGAR BEETS-ANNOUNCEMENT OF SUPPORT PRICE

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. I trust the hon. member for Essex East will proceed with his statement, and that hon. members will listen to him.

March 2, 1961