May 20, 1958

THE ROYAL ASSENT

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

I have the honour to inform the house that I have received the following communication:

Sir:

Ottawa, May 20, 1958

I have the honour to inform you that the Honourable Patrick Kerwin, Chief Justice of Canada, acting as Deputy of His Excellency the Governor General, will proceed to the Senate chamber today, the 20th May, at 5.45 p.m., for the purpose of giving the royal assent to a certain bill.

I have the honour to be, sir,

Your obedient servant,

J. F. Delaute,

Secretary to the Governor General (Administrative)

Topic:   THE ROYAL ASSENT

CANADIAN NATIONAL STEAMSHIPS

INQUIRY AS TO REPORTED INTENTION TO SEEL VESSELS

On the orders of the day:

Lionel Chevrier (Official Opposition House Leader; Liberal Party House Leader)

Hon. Lionel Chevrier (Laurier):

Mr. Speaker, may I direct a question to the Minister of Transport. Is he aware of the report which has appeared in two recent issues of the Financial Post and the Globe and Mail that the eight ships that were struck by the seafarers' international union, belonging to the Canadian National Steamships, are now to be offered for sale? Has he any comment to make on that statement? I sent the minister a copy of the question earlier today.

Topic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL STEAMSHIPS
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO REPORTED INTENTION TO SEEL VESSELS

George Harris Hees (Minister of Transport)

Hon. George H. Hees (Minister of Transport):

Mr. Speaker, I wish to thank the hon. member for giving me notice of his intention to ask this question. I have not seen the two reports referred to. I will be in touch with the management of the Canadian National (West Indies) Steamships, and I shall report to the house in the next day or so.

Topic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL STEAMSHIPS
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO REPORTED INTENTION TO SEEL VESSELS

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. I think this question already has been asked by the hon. member for Laurier. There is a question on the order paper to be answered orally which I think covers the same ground.

Topic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL STEAMSHIPS
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO REPORTED INTENTION TO SEEL VESSELS

Lionel Chevrier (Official Opposition House Leader; Liberal Party House Leader)

Mr. Chevrier:

No, Mr. Speaker. If I may say so, it covers the same subject matter but it does not cover the question of the sale of the ships. That is why I directed this question to the minister.

Topic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL STEAMSHIPS
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO REPORTED INTENTION TO SEEL VESSELS

REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION OF CANADA-U.S. AGREEMENT

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Herbert Wilfred Herridge

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. H. W. Herridge (Kootenay West):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to direct a question to the Minister of National Defence. I hope this question perks him up. Would the Minister of National Defence assure the house now that he will carry out his undertaking, given on January 4 of this year when replying to the request of the hon. member for Essex East, to submit the NORAD agreement to parliament, by having the necessary arrangements made so the agreement will be submitted to parliament in the form of a regular motion for its consideration?

Topic:   REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION OF CANADA-U.S. AGREEMENT

George Randolph Pearkes (Minister of National Defence)

Hon. G. R. Pearkes (Minister of National Defence):

Mr. Speaker, I can assure the hon. member that I am bubbling over to answer that question. The note was tabled yesterday, and the Secretary of State for External Affairs indicated that there would be opportunities for further discussion of the matter.

Topic:   REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION OF CANADA-U.S. AGREEMENT

Lester Bowles Pearson (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Hon. L. B. Pearson (Leader of the Opposition):

A supplementary question to the Prime Minister. Will the Prime Minister not give further consideration to the possibility of the House of Commons discussing this agreement in the form of a resolution for approval or disapproval by the house?

Topic:   REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION OF CANADA-U.S. AGREEMENT

John George Diefenbaker (Prime Minister)

Right Hon. J. G. Diefenbaker (Prime Minister):

Mr. Speaker, yesterday in answer to the question asked by my hon. friend, the Secretary of State for External Affairs said that further opportunity would be given for discussion. The hon. gentleman now suggests that an opportunity might be provided by a general discussion of a resolution in this regard. I have looked over the records, and in view of the fact that this is part of the NATO concept I do not think there is any reason why this matter should be dealt with in that way. Also I would point out that I felt that naturally since the previous government had done all the preliminary work in connection with this matter and had arrived at a tentative arrangement, although it was not placed in the form of notes, there would not be any probability of opposition in the acceptance by the house of the agreement or the notes which have passed between those two countries.

244 HOUSE OF

Inquiries of the Ministry

However, my concept of my position, in view of the disproportionate percentage of government membership in the house, in the opinion of hon. gentlemen opposite, and also because the opposition seems desirous of having a vote in order to show its opposition to the exchange of notes-

Topic:   REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION OF CANADA-U.S. AGREEMENT

Some hon. Members:

No, no.

Topic:   REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION OF CANADA-U.S. AGREEMENT

John George Diefenbaker (Prime Minister)

Mr. Diefenbaker:

-is that I would have no objection whatsoever to having a resolution submitted so that hon. gentlemen may have the opportunity to stand up and be counted on this matter.

Topic:   REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION OF CANADA-U.S. AGREEMENT

Lester Bowles Pearson (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Pearson:

Has the Prime Minister not discovered in his researches on this subject that this matter, far from having been approved by the previous cabinet, never came before the previous cabinet for consideration? Will the Prime Minister not agree also that a vote in the house on this question might be very helpful, because it is such an important matter, in order to show that the house is unanimously behind the concept of collective defence?

Topic:   REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION OF CANADA-U.S. AGREEMENT

John George Diefenbaker (Prime Minister)

Mr. Diefenbaker:

As to the first point raised by the hon. gentleman, while I naturally have no right to examine the records of the previous cabinet, everything points to the fact that this question did receive consideration as revealed by the notes of the staff meetings in this connection.

As to the second point, that is why 1 am so anxious that hon. gentlemen have an opportunity to vote on this question, so we will know exactly where they stand and if they support the action, for up to the present time they have not shown any indication in that regard.

Topic:   REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION OF CANADA-U.S. AGREEMENT