January 30, 1958

Lester Bowles Pearson (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Hon. L. B. Pearson (Leader of the Opposition):

Mr. Speaker, may I ask the Minister

[Mr. Herridge.l

of Labour if he will bring down the latest unemployment figures before the end of this session.

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   UNEMPLOYMENT
Sub-subtopic:   STATISTICS

Michael Starr (Minister of Labour)

Hon. Michael Starr (Minister of Labour):

As soon as the dominion bureau of statistics releases the figures I will be glad to advise the house.

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   UNEMPLOYMENT
Sub-subtopic:   STATISTICS

Paul Joseph James Martin

Hon. Paul Martin (Essex East):

May I ask

the Minister of Labour a supplementary question. When will that be? Will it be before February 10?

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   UNEMPLOYMENT
Sub-subtopic:   STATISTICS

Michael Starr (Minister of Labour)

Mr. Starr:

In answer to that question, as I said to the Leader of the Opposition I will be glad to bring the dominion bureau of statistics figure to the attention of the house when it appears. It is usually released some time between the 17th and 20th of each month.

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   UNEMPLOYMENT
Sub-subtopic:   STATISTICS

Mr. Marlin@Essex East

Mr. Speaker, may I ask a supplementary question. In view of that fact, will the minister not give immediate consideration, in collaboration with the leader of the house, to bringing down his estimates certainly before the prorogation or adjournment of this house, so we may have an opportunity of examining what undoubtedly the minister will recognize as the most important domestic question before the Canadian people at the present time?

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   UNEMPLOYMENT
Sub-subtopic:   STATISTICS

Michael Starr (Minister of Labour)

Mr. Starr:

Mr. Speaker, the leader of the house sets out the program, and I am prepared at any time to come before the house with my estimates.

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   UNEMPLOYMENT
Sub-subtopic:   STATISTICS

Lester Bowles Pearson (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Pearson:

A supplementary question, Mr. Speaker. Would the leader of the house take into consideration the request of my friend the hon. member for Essex East?

Hon. Howard C. Green (Minister of Public

Works): Mr. Speaker, I will be very glad to take it into consideration. The situation still is that the government has the responsibility for deciding what business is to be taken.

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   UNEMPLOYMENT
Sub-subtopic:   STATISTICS
CCF

Stanley Howard Knowles

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Stanley Knowles (Winnipeg North Centre):

Mr. Speaker, may I ask the leader of the house a supplementary question regarding the business of the house. Since the legislation on the order paper may be disposed of today or tomorrow, leaving only estimates, is it the intention to have the estimates taken on Monday, or in other words to call a motion to go into supply as a means of provoking the official opposition to move another of its want of confidence motions?

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   UNEMPLOYMENT
Sub-subtopic:   STATISTICS

Howard Charles Green (Minister of Defence Production; Minister of Public Works; Leader of the Government in the House of Commons; Progressive Conservative Party House Leader)

Mr. Green:

Mr. Speaker, the hon. member will notice if he looks over the order paper that there is on it other government business which I did not announce last night.

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   UNEMPLOYMENT
Sub-subtopic:   STATISTICS

BLIND RIVER AREA-REQUEST FOR BOARD OF INQUIRY INTO MINE ACCIDENTS

On the orders of the day:

James Allen (Jim) Byrne

Mr. J. A. Byrne (Kootenay East):

I should like to address a question to the Minister of Labour. Yesterday, in answer to my inquiry as to whether the minister would consider setting up a board of inquiry into the appalling accident rate in the Blind River area, he said he would look into the matter. Since that time has it been drawn to the minister's attention that there have been two more fatalities in that area? I ask this question because having had 23 years' experience in mining I feel there is a serious lack of regulation.

Topic:   BLIND RIVER AREA-REQUEST FOR BOARD OF INQUIRY INTO MINE ACCIDENTS

Michael Starr (Minister of Labour)

Hon. Michael Starr (Minister of Labour):

No, Mr. Speaker, that had not been brought to my attention.

Topic:   BLIND RIVER AREA-REQUEST FOR BOARD OF INQUIRY INTO MINE ACCIDENTS

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Erhart Regier

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Erhart Regier (Burnaby-Coquiilam):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to direct a question to the Minister of Finance. Has the minister received from the premier of British Columbia a reply to the telegram that he sent on Friday last? I notice in the newspapers that Premier Bennett is now claiming that British Columbia will not receive anything as the result of the amendments to increase the grants.

Topic:   DOMINION-PROVINCIAL RELATIONS INQUIRY AS TO REPLY FROM PREMIER OF BRITISH COLUMBIA

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. It seems to me that we spent some days dealing with this matter and that it would be irregular to introduce it now by way of question in the house.

PACIFIC GREAT EASTERN RAILWAY