January 23, 1958

CCF

Stanley Howard Knowles

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Knowles (Winnipeg North Centre):

Tell us what Maclean's said about the Liberal convention, too.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. CHURCHILL REFERENCE TO ARTICLES IN HAMILTON "SPECTATOR" AND "MACLEAN'S" MAGAZINE

Gordon Minto Churchill (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. Churchill:

I should say at this point

that Mr. Blair Fraser's article is a good article dealing with the question of trade and contains a great deal of useful information, but he has fallen into error in this paragraph, which reads as follows:

Tinplate is an ironic example. When the Canadian trade mission visited a British steel plant in Wales, Gordon Churchill remarked that Canada was a potential market for tinplate.

I never made any such remark. I was aware that there was a surplus of tinplate in Canada, and at the same time there was a surplus of tinplate at the Margam steel works in Wales. This statement is completely and utterly false.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE

MR. MCCULLOUGH-ALLEGED INCOMPLETENESS OF SESSIONAL PAPER

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Edward George McCullough

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. E. G. McCullough (Moose Mountain):

I rise on a question of privilege, Mr. Speaker. On January 3 I had a return to a question of mine asked on December 23. The return is sessional paper No. 13A. It is signed by the undersecretary of state, and it is incomplete. The answer to question No. 9 is:

To be answered by the Department of National Health and Welfare.

I should like to ask the hon. member whether I might have a complete answer to this question. I should like at this time to draw to the attention of the Secretary of State the fact that this question No. 9 has not been answered at this time.

Topic:   MR. MCCULLOUGH-ALLEGED INCOMPLETENESS OF SESSIONAL PAPER

James MacKerras Macdonnell (Minister Without Portfolio)

Hon. J. M. Macdonnell (Minister without Portfolio):

Mr. Speaker, the Secretary of State has asked me to answer the question asked by the hon. member for Moose Mountain, as her voice has failed her this morning. She wishes me to say that the matter will be looked into directly.

Topic:   MR. MCCULLOUGH-ALLEGED INCOMPLETENESS OF SESSIONAL PAPER

BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE

INQUIRY AS TO FURTHER LEGISLATION TO BE INTRODUCED THIS SESSION

On the orders of the day:

Mr. Spaaker@

The hon. member for Algoma East.

Inquiries of the Ministry

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO FURTHER LEGISLATION TO BE INTRODUCED THIS SESSION

Lester Bowles Pearson (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Hon. L. B. Pearson (Leader of the Opposition):

Mr. Speaker, on December 2, the Prime Minister was good enough to give the house some information about the legislative program at that time. In view of the reported desire of the government to finish up the business of this session by the end of the month, and in view of the statement by the leader of the house that one or two further pieces of legislation may be introduced, can the Prime Minister now, in view of the fact we are only eight days from the end of the month, give us information as he did on December 2 regarding the legislative program which faces us?

Right Hon. J. G. Diefenbaker (Prime

Minister): Mr. Speaker, I wish the Leader of the Opposition had called me, and I would have been then in a position to make a complete announcement at this time. However, I shall endeavour to make that announcement tomorrow or Saturday. I join with my hon. friend in his desire, and it is only fair, that the house be informed as to whether or not further legislation is going to be introduced.

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO FURTHER LEGISLATION TO BE INTRODUCED THIS SESSION

Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

I desire to make a correction. I did not intend to demote the Leader of the Opposition when I called him the member for Algoma East.

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO FURTHER LEGISLATION TO BE INTRODUCED THIS SESSION

INTRODUCTION OF LEGISLATION REPLACING SUCCESSION DUTY ACT

On the orders of the day: Mr. Irvin Sluder (Swift Current-Maple Creek): Mr. Speaker, I should like to inquire of the Minister of Finance whether it is his intention to proceed at this session with his planned bill to replace the Dominion Succession Duty Act.

Donald Methuen Fleming (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. Donald M. Fleming (Minister of Finance):

Yes; the government's intention, as I stated it on December 6, Mr. Speaker, is unchanged. It is our hope, if we can make progress with the business of the house, to bring the bill forward and have it introduced and after first reading allow it to be distributed in order that it may be taken up at the next session of parliament, after persons and organizations interested in the subject have had time to study the bill and submit their views on it to the government.

Topic:   INTRODUCTION OF LEGISLATION REPLACING SUCCESSION DUTY ACT

COMMONWEALTH RELATIONS

STATEMENT AS TO CANADIAN ASSISTANCE TO WEST INDIES FEDERATION

On the orders of the day:

John George Diefenbaker (Prime Minister)

Right Hon. J. G. Diefenbaker (Prime Minister):

I should like to make a brief interim reply to questions asked on January 11 and 20 by the hon. member for Assiniboia.

Inquiries of the Ministry The question asked by him is as follows, as reported at page 3195 of Hansard for January 11, 1958:

Can the Prime Minister inform the house of the results of the talks between officials of the new West Indian federation and the Canadian government relating to economic co-operation between the two nations? Was Canada asked for a loan or other economic assistance, and can the Prime Minister say what action Canada is considering to help the newest member of the commonwealth?

At that time I stated that I had not had an opportunity to review this matter with the officials. I am now able to say, Mr. Speaker, that this matter is under active consideration and it is hoped that in the very near future an announcement can be made indicating what steps this government proposes to take to give immediate evidence of Canada's willingness to help this new country, through such practical forms of assistance as may be appropriate. We shall also be giving consideration to more long-term measures of assistance. These matters will be drawn to the attention of the house in due course when consideration is somewhat further advanced. However, I should like to assure hon. members that most urgent study is being given to them.

I might also draw the attention of the house to the fact that a trade mission from Jamaica, one of the most important units or provinces in this new federation of the West Indies, is at present visiting Canada. The trade mission is led by Hon. Wills O. Isaacs, Jamaica's minister of commerce, and is made up of a number of prominent businessmen of that island who have come to Canada to explore ways in which the long-standing trade with Jamaica may be further developed and strengthened. This delegation will arrive in Ottawa on Saturday next; they will be received by the Minister of Trade and Commerce and subsequently will have discussions with ministers and officials in various departments. I also plan to spend some time with these visitors. Together we shall explore detailed ways in which the commercial ties between this important island in the Caribbean and ourselves can be strengthened.

It is by visits of trade missions such as this that new commercial contacts are found and the flow of trade broadened and deepened. I am sure that Canadians as a whole will welcome the visit of this Jamaican mission beginning on Saturday.

Topic:   COMMONWEALTH RELATIONS