November 1, 1957

George Harris Hees (Minister of Transport)

Mr. Hees:

That is not what the people thought on June 10.

Subtopic:   AMENDMENT RESPECTING PRINTING OF BALLOT PAPERS

Lewis Elston Cardiff (Chief Government Whip; Whip of the Progressive Conservative Party)

Mr. Cardiff:

It is like the old story "there goes Johnny coming back".

John Whitney Pickersgill

Mr. Pickersgill:

If the electorate are as ill informed as the member for Vancouver East seems to think they are-although I do not agree with him-T can only say that

my constituents had no difficulty in distinguishing between the Liberal candidate and the only other candidate there was. Perhaps I could just illustrate what the difficulty might have been in my own constituency the first time I was a candidate- this would not have been a difficulty for me but for the gentleman who for a temporary period associated himself with the Progressive Conservative party and who ran against me. He had been a provincial Liberal cabinet minister and then for a very short spell associated himself, as I say, with the Progressive Conservative party and contested the election against me-

An hon. Member:

As a Progressive

Conservative?

John Whitney Pickersgill

Mr. Pickersgill:

As a Progressive Conservative, at least that is what we understood he was. Shortly after that he joined the C.C.F. in Newfoundland and I believe he has since left that party.

An hon. Member:

And left the country?

John Whitney Pickersgill

Mr. Pickersgill:

It is doubtful if he supports any party at the present time but it does seem to me, while I am a Liberal and something of a radical at that-

Some hon. Members:

What?

An hon. Member:

Radical Jack.

John Whitney Pickersgill

Mr. Pickersgill:

There are some respects in which I do feel that a real case for a change should be made out before a change is in fact made.

An hon. Member:

That was done on

June 10.

John Whitney Pickersgill

Mr. Pickersgill:

It does not seem to me that a sufficient case to make such a change worth while has been made out and that is why I will vote against the bill, if it should come to a vote.

Daniel (Dan) McIvor

Mr. Daniel Mclvor (Fort William):

Mr. Speaker, I am thinking for myself.

Some hon. Members:

Hear, hear, another radical.

Daniel (Dan) McIvor

Mr. Mclvor:

I remember very well when people of different types were afraid to make a public profession. I am in favour of this bill because I do not want to be tagged to anything except that in which I believe, but I do want that tag. It may be difficult for the returning officers but with all the respect and admiration I have for my friend who just sat down,-

An hon. Member:

Give him a kiss.

Daniel (Dan) McIvor

Mr. Mclvor:

-it has nothing to do with the party. He is a declared candidate and while I may not ever be a candidate again and I do not expect I will be-

John Whitney Pickersgill

Mr. Pickersgill:

Do not be too sure.

An hon. Member:

The majority was very small last time.

Daniel (Dan) McIvor

Mr. Mclvor:

-I say that a person should be known by the profession he makes and if he makes no profession then he should say "none".

November 1, 1957