April 9, 1957

Louis-René Beaudoin (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. The hon. gentleman should at least take a look at the correspondence before he makes any other comments.

Thomas Miller Bell

Mr. Bell:

I have seen the correspondence.

Azel Randolph Lusby

Mr. A. R. Lusby (Cumberland):

I should like to direct a question to the minister. I am very much interested in the references which were made in this report to my constituency with respect to power development. May I ask the minister whether in this survey which is to be undertaken full consideration will be given to the fact that the coal fields of Springhill are the most central of any within the combined area of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and also to the fact that the coal produced in those fields is steam coal of a quality that is unsurpassed in the maritimes?

Topic:   STATEMENT AS TO EXTENT OF FEDERAL ASSISTANCE IN ATLANTIC AREA

Jean Lesage (Minister of Northern Affairs and National Resources)

Mr. Lesage:

Of course this is a fact that will be considered.

Howard Charles Green

Mr. Green:

May I ask the minister whether the order in council has also been tabled?

Topic:   STATEMENT AS TO EXTENT OF FEDERAL ASSISTANCE IN ATLANTIC AREA

Jean Lesage (Minister of Northern Affairs and National Resources)

Mr. Lesage:

I do not believe it has, but I can table it now, sir.

John Angus MacLean

Mr. MacLean:

I should like to ask the minister whether it is expected that this program will be expanded at a later date to include the province of Prince Edward Island?

Topic:   STATEMENT AS TO EXTENT OF FEDERAL ASSISTANCE IN ATLANTIC AREA

Jean Lesage (Minister of Northern Affairs and National Resources)

Mr. Lesage:

I mentioned the maritime provinces; I have always felt that Prince Edward Island was a maritime province.

George Clyde Nowlan

Mr. G. C. Nowlan (Digby-Annapolis-Kings):

I was waiting for the orders of the day to be called, but since questions are being asked now I shall ask one, too. Has the government given consideration to expanding the principle of subventions on the movement of coal within the maritime provinces to assist in the use of that coal in competition with oil, assuming that the temporary condition may not continue and the price of oil may drop?

Topic:   STATEMENT AS TO EXTENT OF FEDERAL ASSISTANCE IN ATLANTIC AREA

Jean Lesage (Minister of Northern Affairs and National Resources)

Mr. Lesage:

If the hon. member will read my statement he will find that I said or implied we did not consider it was necessary to give a subvention on coal so it would be competitive with oil.

George Clyde Nowlan

Mr. Nowlan:

The minister did not consider

it would be necessary?

Topic:   STATEMENT AS TO EXTENT OF FEDERAL ASSISTANCE IN ATLANTIC AREA

Jean Lesage (Minister of Northern Affairs and National Resources)

Mr. Lesage:

On the orders of the day:

Douglas Scott Harkness

Mr. D. S. Harkness (Calgary North):

I

should like to direct a question to the Minister of Northern Affairs and National Resources consequent on the statement he has made. Has the Northern Canada Power Commission the staff and facilities necessary to carry out the very extensive new functions assigned to it, and if not, as seems probable, by what method is it to be put into a position to do so? Is the commission's headquarters to be moved to the maritimes and its main activities concentrated there?

Topic:   STATEMENT AS TO EXTENT OF FEDERAL ASSISTANCE IN ATLANTIC AREA

Jean Lesage (Minister of Northern Affairs and National Resources)

Mr. Lesage:

The plan is that the headquarters will remain in Ottawa, but it is clear there will have to be an increase in staff and also an increase in facilities.

FINANCE

BEEKEEPERS' HONEY

On the orders of the day:

Lewis Elston Cardiff (Chief Government Whip; Whip of the Progressive Conservative Party)

Mr. L. E. Cardiff (Huron):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to direct a question to the Minister of Agriculture. Perhaps the question could be more properly directed to the Minister of Finance, owing to the fact that the minister had had a resolution sent to him by the beekeepers. I will direct it to him and the government.

Will the minister consider having the tax removed on sugar used for the feeding of bees? The beekeepers in my riding are having a tough time making ends meet, and I appeal to the government to give this request their sincere consideration if we are to retain the normal supply of honey in Canada.

Topic:   FINANCE
Subtopic:   BEEKEEPERS' HONEY
Sub-subtopic:   REQUEST FOR REMOVAL OF TAX

James Garfield Gardiner (Minister of Agriculture)

Right Hon. J. G. Gardiner (Minister of Agriculture):

Mr. Speaker, matters having

to do with tariff of course are not handled in the Department of Agriculture, but we shall take into consideration the representations made and discuss the matter with finance.

Topic:   FINANCE